1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did the Apostle Paul visit Colosse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Acts 16:6
    Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,

Acts 18:23
    And after he had spent some time there, he departed, and went over all the country of Galatia and Phrygia in order, strengthening all the disciples.

Col 2:1
    For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

Why do most commentators believe that because of Col 2:1 that the apostle Paul never visited Colosse. Did I miss a verse?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On my last "dig" in the area, I was amazed to see how close together Laodicea, Hieropolis, and Colossae were. Literally just a few miles apart. Colossae was certainly a part of Phrygia but very much a "lesser" town in general decline at the time of the Apostles. It's glory days were 500-400 BCE and just a sheep-raising center of no import compared to the other cities.

On journey 1, Paul went thru Galatian Phrygia (the region was divided into two parts) keeping far east of the main bulk called Asian Phrygia. He visited Antioch, Iconium/Derbe/Lystra in Galatian Phrygia.

On journey 2, Paul came from Tarsus heading west through Galatian Phrygia again, then bypassed (forbidden by God) to go to Asia (think = Asian Phrygia, not what we call Asia today like Russia/China) and instead angled southwest to the coast and eventually over to Macedonia.

I don't think Paul ever traveled the "Meander River" route thru Asian Phrygia, not visiting and of the three cities on the region mentioned in the NT. But he DID go through and spent time in Galatian Phrygia.

Hope this helps. Travelling the area and getting the "lay of the land" has helped me in writing and teaching geography immensely.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the least, I don't think Paul planted the church at Colossea (probably by epaphras in 1:7-8). 1:4 seems to imply that Paul's only relationship with this church was indirect. Good study though.