1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did the Metropolitan Tabernacle have a Praise Band?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by J.D., Feb 29, 2008.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Read this before you decide.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good quote. :thumbs: You won't find me defending pianos, organs or choirs in Christian worship.

Could you cite the source?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Point #1:
    Of course, folks bellyached about polyphonic singing and the organ as well...yet by Spurgeon's time, it was embraced. Spurgeon was a "holdout," yes...but my point still holds.

Point #2:
    I like Spurgeon. But he ain't Scripture.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not, but he is eminently Scriptural, unlike praise bands, etc. . .

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see you found it the whole sermon, but here's where I came across it.

http://www.oldtruth.com/blog.cfm/id.2.pid.420

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry...I've forgotten that reference again. Was that 1 Confusions, or is it out of the book of Hesitations?

#7 rbell, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's a reference: Postmodern 4:4 "and He gave some, apostles, and some prophets, and some pastors and teachers (boooringggg), and some worship leaders and youth ministers! Yay!..."

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Edited. . .

#9 rbell, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is your calling and how did I make fun of it?

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have spent my adult life ministering to teenagers. I have also spent many years worshipping in our church as a whole, and with our students particularly. I grow weary of the stereotypical responses such as what you threw out...as if people who work with youth are standing in front of them, rolling their eyes, and telling them how boring the Word of God is. Those statements don't help.

The preaching of the Word is central to what we do here. It is the centerpiece of our Wednesday Night youth service. On any given Wednesday night, a large number of our kids are taking notes on the Bible study/sermon. I do not appreciate the insinuation that we live to make things shallow, or that all youth ministers view themselves as the "centerpiece" of what God is doing.

Your comment:

Strikes at the very heart of who I strive NOT to be as a minister. I take that kind of statement personally. It would seem to me that you directed that statement straight at me. God has called me to share His love and His word with our younger generation, and I am doing that to the best of my ability. I don't expect you to agree with how I do everything, but I would hope that you would respect that it is God who has called me to do it.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was mocking your appeal to scripture when you don't provide scripture yourself. If your ministry glorifies God and edifies the Church, then more power to ya.

I've never met a youth minister that said that Bible teaching is boring, but I've known plenty of youth group members, and adults too, that said it's boring. We had one lady that would actually call out loud "boorrrinnnggg" when our pastor would begin the Wednesday night Bible study. So I would yell out "Amen pastor, I love Bible study!"

Another lady left our church because she like the music at another church. She even told us that she liked the preaching at our church, but just loved the music at the other church. There's something wrong with that, wouldn't you agree? It's carnal. It's worship in the flesh. The preaching is infinitely more important than the music. Agree?

BTW I did a bible search and couldn't find "youth minister" in the Bible. No offense intended, just facts. Save the drama.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

My apologies, JD. for overreacting. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbs: It's late. I'm gone. :wavey:

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good night and God bless. I am the chief of over-reactors, so please forgive me. I believe your heart is right but your methods are wrong somethimes, and I believe my methods are right but my heart is wrong sometimes. But either way, we're both fallible men in need of God's help. Amen?

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

A minor matter, but Spurgeon, a Brit, would have written "Our Saviour" and "Saul's armour". It makes no difference to the meaning, but why trouble to change it?

#15 David Lamb, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2008
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, please, rbell, spare us the drama. If you can't take a mild, mocking rebuke, don't dish it out.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

JD and I handled our issue, and we're fine. Your assistance isn't needed.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know, I just pasted it the way it was written. I'm guessing that some yank ran spellcheck on it and allowed the automatic corrections. :)

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I recall, your little parody was first directed toward me. Whether my assistance was needed or not, it was my business to offer it, and I hate to leave a task undone.

Now back to issue at hand. You want to glibly dismiss Spurgeon's point, but you're finding you can't. He's right, there's no commandment to employ the methods you seem to value so highly. It appears that lacking any Scriptural foundation you must appeal to some kind of "call" to argue their hallowed status.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

And, once again, you employ a double standard...because you cannot find a command for "your method" either.

Don't you want to fall back on your "all kinds of musick" argument? That one was entertaining.