1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did the Son of God Die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by th1bill, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bravo, a man of study and understanding!

2. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, we are saved by faith, not understanding.

3. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another well studied man of God!

4. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if you are implying that my Holy Spirit led post falls into this catagory of yours but I am, indeed, sorry to see your hero quoted in your signature, it says more than you ever intended and is a complete lie.

5. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen. 1:26-28

6. Herald

Herald New Member

Mmm. That's a favorite refrain of yours, isn't it?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is very predictable.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

Wise insight.

Maybe there's another way of phrasing this. Jesus' died physically. Of this there should be no debate among Christians. Did Jesus' deity die? If the answer is "yes" then we have a serious theological crisis. The atonement required a blood sacrifice (i.e. the Lamb of God), not a deity sacrifice. Now, because of Christ's deity He was without sin as the God-man. In order for Jesus to take His life back up (John 10:18) His deity could not be dead.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Genesis 1:26, 27
    26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The above Scripture you referenced says nothing indicating that the "spirit being" in "normal" man is the image of God?

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering that I saw (in my quick look through) some post(s) in which proclaim that Christ did not go to hell, but only appeared to the kept safe of paradise, then the question that must be raised is what was the "hell" of Acts 2?

Ac 2:25 For David spoke concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
    26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
    27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
    29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us unto this day.
    30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
    31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
    32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
    33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

The question must be asked; if God did not send Jesus to Hell, then where was David's prophecy to fit considering that the Apostle made it extremely clear that Jesus did not merely go to "paradise" but did actually descend into hell?

Just so there is no confusion, one will need to prove that "hell" is also "paradise" if the suggestion is viewed that this passage is not to be taken literally.

#30 agedman, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Again utter nonsense. Jesus the man died on the cross, was buried, and resurrected. God can not die!

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Jesus died a PHYSICAL death.
    John 4:24 "God is spirit"

Exactly

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. Romans 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Acts 7:5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not [so much as] to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when he had no child. Hebrews 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises. (And I might add are still dead today not having received the promises)

Gal. 3:18 For if the inheritance (Which at this junction being Abraham has been dead for thousands of years, would be or would require eternal life,) [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise. (which he still hasn't received) V19 Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; Why would the Christ the Son of God need a promise given to him?[and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Has Jesus the Christ the Son of God inherited the promise made to him through his father Abraham? Gal. 3:29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; (To be a joint heir means we will inherit the same thing the one we are joint heir with has inherited. Why did the Son of God, the Christ have to inherit anything? Did the Son of God the Christ come in the flesh? Did he, the Christ Jesus come by the water and the blood? Was Jesus the Christ, the Son of God flesh and blood? Could He as flesh and blood inherit the kingdom of God? Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: Did David and Solomon sit on the throne of the Lord? 1 Chron. 29:23 Then Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Are you saying that Jesus is not God?

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Bill you do not need to be worry about my head, but thank you for the concern. Jesus the Son of God died on the cross according to the bible and that is the truth, not what you are saying.You are trying to unravel the impossible and are making a mockery of the word of God.

#35 freeatlast, Jun 5, 2012
  16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Luke 1:47
    And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Jude 1:25
    To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

So then explain how God can be called our Savior if He did not pay the price for sin and that price is death.

17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

1 Corinthians 2 :
    9 However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
    and what no human mind has conceived”[Isaiah 64:4]—
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—

Jesus have never been separated from the Father just imagine the feeling of the Father turning His back on Him even if it was just for a second when He did everything the Father sent Him to do and have not sinned He went through that for me to make it personal.

To imagine something else you died before the cross and someone came to where you are and said He is God and if you believe in Him you would be saved, a person who went where you are, and said He will rise on the third day would you believe Him? You didn't and on the third day you seen Him no more, what would you be thinking? This is hypothetical I don't know what happen apart from the scripture.

#37 psalms109:31, Jun 5, 2012
  18. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those words to run in a circle saying naught of concern about the topic? It is a simple truth, Jesus was a human child that by decision of his creator was the container of the Son of God, spirit being. I'll say it once more, this is a good deal like what is true of us, the creations of the Son of God, our bodies will be terminated or they will expire from over usage but we will not die and neither did the Son of God!

The proof texts (and I hate using them but) are given in the OP and others have given more during this strings life, so far. The truth need not, even, be understood! All that is required by our God is faith in what He has had recorded for us.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question concerning the Son of God. Jesus.

Was the egg cell of Mary fertilized resulting in; a cell called the zygote, which possesses half the DNA of each of its two parents. The zygote will begin to divide by mitosis to produce a multicellular organism. The result of this process is an embryo. (< from Wikipedia) Which grows into a fetus in about eight weeks, which is brought forth (born) in about nine months.

Was the egg cell of Mary fertilized by Spirit the God (see John 4:24)

Luke 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

Scripture4all.org Luke 1:35 AND answerING THE MESSENGER said to-her spirit HOLY SHALL-BE-ON-COMING ON YOU AND ABILITY OF-HIGHest SHALL-BE-ON-SHADING to-YOU THRU-WHICH AND THE One-beING-generatED OUT OF-YOU HOLY SHALL-BE-BEING-CALLED SON OF-God

Was the following born of Mary? but did empty himself, the form of a servant having taken, in the likeness of men having been made, YLT Phil 2:7

#39 percho, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  20. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir, that is not true! Jesus, not since the resurection but before and during the timje he hung on the cross was the package, if you will, that the Son of God (an eternal being) resided in. Jesus, the package, was murdered on the cross and fulfilled the requirement of a perfect sacrifice for my and for your sin debt but the Son of God, the second person of the Triune God has never ceased to exist. We have had the definition of died thoroughly examined in this string and the death of Jesus, the man does not end the existence of the Son of God for three days, He, the divine being, has never died.

Yes, there are scriptures that when jerked out of the context of the entire Bible can erronously be used to prove otherwise but when viewed in the context of all scripture they prove just the opposite. God, the Father, God, the Son and the Holy Spirit, spirit beings all, can not cease to exist any more than the spirit being contained in your present body can. Spirits never die and cease to exiswt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.