1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did the Son of God Die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by th1bill, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More accurate and precise to say that the Son of God, who was on earth as jesus the Christ, that the second person of the trinity tasted physical death!

God cannot 'die" in the sense of his eternal nature ceasing to be alive, but while a man uopon the cross, he did taste physically death same way you and I will!

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God died upon the Cross as a man aphysical death....

NOT spiritual death as WoF hold to, as the eternal nature of God cannot die, but he did indeed suffer and die physically!

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, there is nothing more accurate then the bible so it would be best to say what the bible says instead of denying it.
    John 12:33
    This he said, signifying what death he should die.
    John 18:32
    That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.

Acts 3:15
    And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    Romans 6:9
    Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

The Son of God died and then rose from the dead after three full days.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps folks are talking past each other on this thread.

It seems that all sides call for the necessity of the death of Christ.

It seems that all sides post that the death of Christ was necessary for the redemption of the believer.

Neither side is claiming that God in Christ ceased to exist, but rather the body was preserved uncorrupted in the tomb (as was prophesied) while Christ completed the work of redemption in hell and paradise.

There maybe some who do not view that Christ actually descended into hell, and that is a rather small matter in which to draw swords. Personally, I do, and I have posted from Acts. Some may read the passage with a bit different thinking, but the redemption story is not altered, just the picture of the "scapegoat" purpose.

What IS problematic and a perhaps something that does need attention is the actual death sentence passed upon the unbelieving.

For some, they would consider such a sentence begins upon the person who will "spend eternity in hell;" however, that phrase (spend eternity in hell) is an unfortunate wording for it gives a wrong sequence of events.

Certainly, the sentence may "begin" at the point of physical death, but there is going to be a reprieve. A time when "death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." Then after that short reprieve from the flames, "death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

The hell of the unbeliever is currently NOT the second death; it is the "holding tank" of those who will ultimately be cast into the "second death."

Christ did NOT have a second death - He did not go to the "place prepared for the devil and his angels." He suffered, died (the first death), spent time in hell and paradise, and then became the "first (of the) fruits" raised by the Father to glory where He continues.

God in Christ never lost sentience. He was completely aware of all that happened and what He was doing even while his body lay uncorrupted in the borrowed tomb.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God ceasing to exist is not what the OP is about. The OP is about did the Son of God die and the answer is yes He did. The Son of God the God/man died, not just the man.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

How did God die physically when Scripture states clearly that God is a Spirit!!!

John 4:24. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

7. OldRegular

Then present Scripture that show God died.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

How can God be three persons when there is only one God?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

John 1:1,14. The Word who was God became flesh and died. He did not stop being God when he became flesh. The Son of God did die and He is God.
    That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.

And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly God in Christ died and more, He (in my view) actually went to hell as full payment for taking upon Himself the sin(s) of the world.

BUT, that does not in any way agree with the view that God in Christ was any less sentient nor in control of all matters concerning His death, after earthly life happenings (while His body lay uncorrupted in the tomb), and the resurrection.

You (if I recall) rightly posted that God raised Christ from the dead, just as we who are in Christ shall also be raised from the dead. He is the "first fruits."

Yet, does not the Scriptures state that Jesus said to the woman,"Don't touch me," for he had yet to present Himself to the Father? Until the presentation before the Father, the work of redemption by the Son was incomplete.

This seems to be contradictory that the Father raised the Son, yet the Son must need to present Himself to the Father.

However, it is not, for how did the Father accomplish ALL the tasks in the Scripture? He Spoke and it happened. What is Christ? The Word of God: "The word became flesh..."

God stated what would happen to Jesus. Further, He stated that Christ would be raised incorruptible. It was done just as the Father (and the apostles testified) stated. Christ presenting Himself to the Father was further validation that the Word accomplished all that God spoke.

I offer these two verses to show the principle of what I post:

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise.

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. ​

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No Jesus did not go to hell. However The Son of God did die.

#71 freeatlast, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  12. OldRegular

Did God Die On The Cross?

FROM R.C. Sproul Mar 23, 2012

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/it-accurate-say-god-died-cross/

The famous hymn of the church “And Can it Be?” contains a line that asks a very poignant question : “How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?” Is it accurate to say that God died on the cross?

This kind of expression is popular in hymnody and in grassroots conversation. So although I have this scruple about the hymn and it bothers me that the expression is there, I think I understand it, and there’s a way to give an indulgence for it.

We believe that Jesus Christ was God incarnate. We also believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross. If we say that God died on the cross, and if by that we mean that the divine nature perished, we have stepped over the edge into serious heresy. In fact, two such heresies related to this problem arose in the early centuries of the church: theopassianism and patripassianism. The first of these, theopassianism, teaches that God Himself suffered death on the cross. Patripassianism indicates that the Father suffered vicariously through the suffering of His Son. Both of these heresies were roundly rejected by the church for the very reason that they categorically deny the very character and nature of God, including His immutability. There is no change in the substantive nature or character of God at any time.

God not only created the universe, He sustains it by the very power of His being. As Paul said, “In Him we live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28). If the being of God ceased for one second, the universe would disappear. It would pass out of existence, because nothing can exist apart from the sustaining power of God. If God dies, everything dies with Him. Obviously, then, God could not have perished on the cross.

Some say, “It was the second person of the Trinity Who died.” That would be a mutation within the very being of God, because when we look at the Trinity we say that the three are one in essence, and that though there are personal distinctions among the persons of the Godhead, those distinctions are not essential in the sense that they are differences in being. Death is something that would involve a change in one’s being.

We should shrink in horror from the idea that God actually died on the cross. The atonement was made by the human nature of Christ. Somehow people tend to think that this lessens the dignity or the value of the substitutionary act, as if we were somehow implicitly denying the deity of Christ. God forbid. It’s the God-man Who dies, but death is something that is experienced only by the human nature, because the divine nature isn’t capable of experiencing death.

This question and answer was excerpted from R.C. Sproul’s The Truth of the Cross (Reformation Trust, 2007)

In an earlier post #18 I wrote the following:

Note that Sproul makes the same point I make in my use of Colossians 2:9. Though I agree with Sproul he is not the authority, the Bible is the authority and no one has presented Scripture showing that God died!

The idea that God died is insanity.

#72 OldRegular, Jun 6, 2012
  13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

It depends what you define Scriptural death, if death as a corpse or death as in separated from the Father where the worm dieth not, where there will be gnashing of teeth.

Scriptural death is what may be what is so hard for us to comprehend. How we die, but still live in torment?

Don't get mad at me over this I am just having a few things to ponder and I am not perfect and I can be flying totally off the mark.

If I fall I just get back on the path that God has me on.

#73 psalms109:31, Jun 6, 2012
  14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You follow RC and I will follow God who gave His word.

15. OldRegular

I follow the Bible; you do not! The Bible tells us that God is eternal.

Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

If God is eternal he cannot die.

Scripture tells us that God sustains the Universe.

Colossians 1:17* And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Consistent with the above Scripture Sproul correctly states: If the being of God ceased for one second, the universe would disappear. It would pass out of existence, because nothing can exist apart from the sustaining power of God. If God dies, everything dies with Him.

Again I state: The idea that God died is insanity.

#75 OldRegular, Jun 6, 2012
  16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT) from scripture4all,org
    Deut 6:4 hear-you ! Israel Yahweh Elohim-of·us Yahweh one
    Is that the eternal God in bold in your post above?
    Greek Interlinear Bible (NT)
    John 1:1,2 In beginning was the word and the word was toward the God and God was the word. This was in beginning toward the God.

Jesus speaking of the Father God to the woman at the well in John 4 says this from scripture4all.org; part of v23 and v24.
    for the Father such is seeking the ones worshiping him spirit the God

Deut 5:26 For who [is there of] all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we [have], and lived?

Does John 1:1,2 John 4:23,24 describe the one God of Deut 6:4 Spirit the God that speaks. The Living God. Did this one Living, Speaking (word), Spirit the God by his Spirit overpower the virgin Mary impregnating the egg of her begetting within her a child to be born of her? The man child Son of the Eternal God, the seed also of Abrahan and also the son of David? Is this how the word God became flesh and dwelt among us?

The Lamb, the very one above was slain before God created the man in his image male and female created he them. Why? Why was the Lamb slain, long before he was born and why considered slain before that which he would be born as was created? Just what was on God's mind? Why at about or precisely at the same time the Lamb was considered slain did God make a promise, the hope of eternal life? Does the one have something to do with the other? The Lamb was considered slain and the man who would bring death to all men had not even been created as yet. Eternal Life?
    Who does it come from? Who does it come through? What does through mean?

Did the Son of God die?

Would the following be true of any father and son?
    And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

#76 percho, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You follow RC and I will follow God who gave His word.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, however, He therefore raised Himself from the dead.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
    21 But he spake of the temple of his body.​

Think about it.

HankD​

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hank what is to think about? The bible says it that settles it.

20. OldRegular

John 2:19-21
    19. Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    20. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
    21. But he spake of the temple of his body.

In verse 21 Jesus Christ tells us what would die, His body! Note what the Apostle Paul writes in Hebrews, Scripture I have posted earlier:

Hebrews 10:4-12
    4. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
    5. Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    6. In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
    7. Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
    8. Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
    9. Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
    10. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    11. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
    12. But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Please note what God tells us in the above Scripture.

5. Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    10. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    12. But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Now read what we are told about God through the patriarch Moses:

De 6:4* Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

There is only ONE GOD. God cannot die no matter how many ways people try to frame it. Sproul is correct when he writes:

God not only created the universe, He sustains it by the very power of His being. As Paul said, “In Him we live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28). If the being of God ceased for one second, the universe would disappear. It would pass out of existence, because nothing can exist apart from the sustaining power of God. If God dies, everything dies with Him. Obviously, then, God could not have perished on the cross.

That all you people who say God died are wrong is evidenced by the existence of this Forum since Scripture tells us:

Colossians 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Acts 17:28 In Him we live and move and have our being

Folks: It is heresy to say that God died. Beyond that it is foolishness, stupidity, madness, insanity!

#80 OldRegular, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.