1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you know that John Grisham is a Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its a wonderful thing to know that a best selling writer also is a Believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Mr. Grisham has a farm in Oxford, MS--one of the most beautiful areas of the state of Mississippi.

Though I do not have any documentation to prove the story I heard----it seems that some time ago I recall reading an artical in Jackson, MS' ClarionLedger where some property owners whos land joined Mr. Grisham's farm were going to divide up some of their property next to him and make a large trailer park(Redneck livin', folks!!!)

Mr. Grisham wasn't too, too fond of a trailer park right up next to his property and made the comment that he won't mind the trailers parked next to his property---if the trailer residences won't mind too much of him(Mr. Grisham) placing a Hog Barn next to them!!! Bacon may smell good in the fryin' pan---but its one of the most obnoxious odors while still in the barn!!!!

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out Grisham's The Testament. It is not only a fascinating novel, it is the only mainstream novel I've ever read from the 2nd half of the 20th century with a missionary as the protagonist!! Portrayed sympathetically!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. le bel

le bel New Member

I loved the "The Testament," I read it when I was 15. Wonderful read.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Several of Grisham's books contain very clear plans of salvation. I have still not read The Testament. I went get it at the library and ended up with The Chamber instead. It was very moving.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

He also coaches little league baseball. He built baseball fields on his property for kids to play on. And, he goes on mission trips with his church. Pretty cool!

Le bel, I loved "The Testament," too.

Here is a link to his bio:http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/main.php

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Cool I'll have to get some of his books.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember when he came out with The Firm years ago and Hollywood turned a rated PG-13 book into an R-rated movie?

I remember reading an interview with him about his reaction to the movie and the writer asked him, "Why don't you use the really vulgar curse words like all of the other mainstream popular authors do?"

He said, "Because my mother is still alive and she would kill me"

Ha!

Peace-
    Scarlett O. (A die-hard Grisham fan)
    <><

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

When John Grisham's church in Oxford sent its members on mission trips to build churches in South America, I heard that he personally paid for all the building materials.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

When he wrote the Firm he had to conform to publishers who did not allow him the freedom he has to write now. I thought it was a great book, but there was nothing Christian about it.

With success comes the freedom to write what he wants, and he is still selling books.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And my wife and I, for two, are still reading them! What could be better for your spare time than a great novelist who loves missions?? [​IMG]

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does any one know which Baptist Denomination John Grisham is with?

13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

In one of the interviews I read, he said he was a member of First Baptist Church, Oxford, MS, which is a Southern Baptist Church.

I don't know if he is still a member there, but was at the time of the interview.

14. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I've not read a novel since "The Hardy Boys Mysteries" series. I may reconsider after reading this thread.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have read all of his novels - he refers to the gospel in a few, but The Testament is the only time he gives the gospel clearly, and there it is VERY clear.

16. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just finished reading "The Chamber" a couple of weeks ago. It definitly has an anti-death penalty agenda. But that is his conviction. There is a pretty clear presentation of the gospel given to Cayhall by the prison chaplain near the end of the book. I dont think one would come away with the impression that Grisham is a believer by reading his novels and I have read about five of them.
    Does anyone know if novelist Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook, Message in a Bottle) is a Christian?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be pretty surprised if Sparks was a Christian, though in general he is a good clean novelist. My wife has read all his books and I've read a couple, and the Christian content doesn't seem to be there except in A Walk to Remember, where a guy falls for a good Baptist girl who happens to be dying.