1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did You Know That....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by wpe3bql, May 22, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

"Typewriters are Making a Comeback"??
    Here's an interesting item from Amac Advantage magazine's Spring 2015 issue:
    Move aside, iPad! Out of the way, speech recognition software! There's a new kid on the block these days---the good old mechanical typewriter that many senior citizens cut their teeth on decades ago.
    It might be a short-lived phenomenon, or it might signal a return-to-the-basics cultural shift, but no matter how you characterize it, manual and electric typewriters are coming out of the basements and attics of America and reappearing on the desks of a growing number of budding writers. Why?
    Well, some cite the simplicity of seeing words appear on paper that attracts them, while others indicate that it is comforting being able to avoid the distractions like incoming email, pop-ups, instant messages, etc., that accompany the electronic world. Still others simply enjoy the focus and regimentation that goes along with the manual typing effort.
    Whatever the reason, there's a renaissance of sorts unfolding with respect to manual typewriters. [Item on p. 10 / www.amac.us ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I read this little tidbit, I was reminded of an incident that occurred some 20-30 years ago at a rummage/yard sale that a Christian school held as a fund raiser.

As I was strolling around the yard full of barrels filled with various and sundry items that people had donated to the fund raiser, I noticed this young person (maybe 8-12 YO) looking at this old Olympia portable manual typewriter quite similar to one my parents gave me back in 1961.

As he was looking at what must have been an item he'd never seen before, he turned to his grandfather and asked, "I wonder where you plug in the monitor screen for this." :smilewinkgrin: