1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did you vote in 1960 / '64 for POTUS?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

One cannot be very smart and be both republican and working class. Of course this assumes that republicans are smart to begin with. :tongue3:

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I've spent thousands of dollars in my life to the Starrett Company. They are certainly not gone, every machinist I know has some of their products.

Unfortunately, they now manufacture some of their products in China. This corporate greed to increase profits at any cost has hurt even companies like Starrett.

3. targus

targus New Member

Don't you own a motorcycle that was manufactured in Japan?

Gotta love union guys that complain about the greedy corporations that move production off shore...

And then buy foreign made products instead of U.S. made products. :rolleyes:

Typical liberal democrat union whining. :laugh:

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'll bet that the owner of your company -- you know, the one who signs your paycheck -- is a Republican and also likely smarter than you. He's figured out how to get you to make money for him. :laugh:

No, more likely Starrett could no longer compete with a world market where virtually every other nation on earth has lower corporate tax, and where union wages do not sap profits necessary to stay in business so in order to stay afloat, they job out work to other people in other nations where those issues do not get in the way of actually doing business. Just the logistics of shipping and quality control across half a world demonstrates that this jobing out is serious business. No wise corporation would ever JUST job out work to some iffy enteprise when they could make stuff right at home where they could watch the process closely. That they HAVE to in order to stay in business speaks of what we have done to harm capitalism and free enterprise in America!

The meme of the Democrats has been for too long that they are "for" the working class man. They are FOR the unions that pay their bills. They give a rip for the working man except that he keep working to pay the taxes they need for their redistribution of wealth game, otherwise called Marxism. :BangHead:

#24 glfredrick, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If America actually produced a decent motorcycle, I would purchase it. Since the only thing we have here that resembles a motorcycle is a Harley-Davidson, I am forced to buy one made elsewhere. This doesn't cost any American jobs since there is no competition between sport bike owners and Harley-Davidson owners.

BTW, many parts in both American automobiles and motorcycles are produced outside the U.S.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is disingenuous to put all the blame on unions for high wages and benefits, some would say excess wages and benefits. Please note that unions don't get anything that the corporations and, for government unions, politicians don't agree to pay. For many years the companies just passed the cost on to the consumer but foreign competition put a crimp in that policy.

I can recall that for years the union workers were blamed for the poor quality of American cars. Again the corporations bear the blame for allowing poor quality but they were able to sell the cars for a time until foreign competition put a crimp in that policy.

Now I realize that most foreign auto production plants in this country are non-union but the quality of these cars demonstrates the ability of the American worker. I believe BMW makes all their SUV's here in SC. I would also note the vastly improved quality of American cars.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree that we should not put all the blame on unions.

Another big problem - is excessive govt regulations, including needless reports, ect....

8. targus

targus New Member

So then you are saying that there are other considerations in making your choice when purchasing a large ticket item than was it made in the U.S or outside of the U.S. ?

Have you ever considered the possibility that companies may be considering factors other than "corporate greed" why they decide to manufacture goods outside of the U.S. ?

Can you think of any valid reasons for doing so - other than "corporate greed"?

I can.

9. targus

targus New Member

Just could not let the opportunity to tweak you a little bit pass by... :smilewinkgrin:

So then you are saying that your "greed" for a sports bike is greater than your desire to support your fellow union workers that manufacture Harleys?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, but Republican politicians are thieves like Democratic politicians. My parents voted for Nixon in 1960 and Goldwater in 1964. I probably would have done the same, not based on Social Security or Kennedy being a Catholic. I voted for Nixon in his later elections.