1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ...die in your sins....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kyredneck, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello KYRED

yes I could see eternal consequence to all...in that it does not make sense that he would mention repentance just to turn them away from temporal consequences in the lk verses.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Icon,

By forcing eternal consequences into the text where it is not intended you are doing violence to the word of God.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, I can't help myself, but where did it mention eternal consequences THOUGH? :wavey:

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    okay...where does it say to die in your sins means go to heaven...sounds like RC venial and mortal sin debate...lol
    kyred I did not see your response to this question...
    My view here is simple...if they are dead men walking...rejecting Jesus right here as he speaks to them......and they die in that condition...what keeps them from Second death at the white throne judgement???

Where or on what basis would they not eternally perish?

#24 Iconoclast, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it possible for God's redeemed born from above children to 'die in their sins'?

4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come forth, my people, out of her, that ye have no fellowship with her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues:
    5 for her sins have reached even unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. Rev 18

And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation. Acts 2:40

Yes it is, and I've no doubt there were many that did.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I responded: "There’s no doubt that these you are describing perished eternally."

Still doesn't mean 'die in your sins' in the text means 'go to hell'. He's telling them on a corporate level unless they repent they're going to perish in the wrath to come upon that generation.

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Now there were some present at that very season who told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
    3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all in like manner perish.

What do you imagine Pilate did there Icon? You know he didn't 'mingle their blood' himself , he sent soldiers to do the deed. 'In like manner' they were all to die if they did not repent.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and killed them, think ye that they were offenders above all the men that dwell in Jerusalem?
    5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Josephus actually records this event that happened in the 'berg' of Siloam. Roman soldiers, again by Pilate's orders, disguised themselves and mingled with the crowd and fell upon them with clubs and beat them to death to quell an uprising of the Galileans over Pilate misappropriating temple funds to extend an aqueduct from the spring at Siloam. They were all to 'likewise' perish if they did not repent.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
    29 For behold, the days are coming, in which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the breasts that never gave suck.
    30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.
    31 For if they do these things in the green tree, what shall be done in the dry? Lu 23

Even on His way to the cross The Prophet was warning of the wrath soon to come upon them. He was diligent in His duty to the very end.

#28 kyredneck, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus was quoting ot texts speaking of the apostate covenant breakers;

from hos10;
    8 The high places also of Aven, the sin of Israel, shall be destroyed: the thorn and the thistle shall come up on their altars; and they shall say to the mountains, Cover us; and to the hills, Fall on us.

thorns and thistles, thorns and briers are apostates...it is repeated by jn in rev6 of the destruction of Jerusalem...

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If they perished physically by Pilates orders...unrepentant...they go to hell...I do not see where you want this to go.

It is not like the people who perished by the tower were said to only perish from this life...it does not say they were saved.....Jesus used them as an example that....those who perished were not some extra special kind of wicked people.....they were sinners just like those Jesus spoke with that day...

He was basically saying do not look down your noses at those people...you are sinners ALSO.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, what's your point with that? Why was He telling the 'daughters of Jerusalem' these things?

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you say. You're reading something into the text that simply is not there. That's what you want it to mean.

I'm really glad it won't be an LSer or a Puritan making the calls concerning eternity. Reminds me of the Queen of Hearts in wonderland, off with their heads!

Good night.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees.

They had the oracles of God and from those oracles were they to understand and believe that the Messiah would be born die and be raised from the dead in order that they could be relieved from, "dying thou dost die," the wages of their sins? This before that above had even taken place.

And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 1 Cor 15:17,18

Who were the, "in Christ," before Jesus was born of Mary? Were there any? Let's assume that, "the Pharisees, named Nicodemus," was older than Jesus which I believe he was; Was he, "in Christ," before Jesus was born? Abraham? David?

Jesus the Christ was born of woman and died. Did his regeneration bring death for man or judgement?

Why do we still die? Do we die in our sins?