1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diets and gluttony

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Nov 9, 2006.

1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Being seriously overweight is a serious medical problem. The average life expectancy went down this year in America for the first time in decades due to this problem.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What's your point?

3. StraightAndNarrow

Just what I said. Being seriously overweight is a serious medical problem. The average life expectancy went down this year in America for the first time in decades due to this problem.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What the problem is?

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't read every post in this thread and apologize if my comments are repeating another's.

The reason that a diet like Atkins works is due to the dramatic reduction in fast absorbing carbs (like sugar, white breads, products with corn syrup, white potatos, etc...). In essence, you start by cutting out nearly all carbs and add in more proteins and fats until your body transitions to burning fat rather than sugars. The next stages involved finding the right amount of slow absorbing carbs while adjusting the percentages of proteins and the right kind of fats (staying away from saturated and trans fats) until you slowly reach your ideal weight. The final stage involved adjusting again to maintain the ideal weight.

The reason people fail when they get off such a diet is that they get off the diet. You had success with it and then went back to the old ways.

Exercize cannot be overstated. Weight bearing exercise is a must regardles of ones condition or age. This type of activity grows muscle mass and indirectly strengthens the bones. As long as you make sure to take care of your joints (you mentioned 2 back surgeries...I've had 2 neck surgeries) by using proper form and getting assistance where needed, weight training should be done on a regular basis.

Cardio training is also necessary but, in the long term, only interval traininng will be effective. If you do an hour on the treadmill at a constant speed, your body will simply adjust to this activity and its effectivenes will deteriorate. On the other hand, if you do something like 2 minutes at 2.0, 1 at 3.0, 1 at 4.0 1 at 5.0, 1 at 6.0 and repeat this 4 times, your body will not be able to adjust. As your condition improves, you'll find that you cann move the speed up at each level. Plus this only takes 20-26 minutes.

Another style of interval training is something called the "Tabata intervals". With this, you warm up for a 2-3 minutes at just fast enough to warm your muscles and breathing. Then you go full speed (all out sprint as fast as you are able) for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds, sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, and so on until you can't get a good sprint. In most cases, you will be unable to do this for more than 4-5 minutes. The shock this gives the body results in an increased metabolism for most of the remainder of the day.

Finally, you must be getting sufficient rest/sleep. Diet, exercize, and rest are all crucial.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Do we eat to live, or do we live to eat?

Advertisemsnts tell us that eating should be one of the pleasures of living. Should it be?

Reminds me of an older man who told me that eating is one of the pleasures he can still enjoy, so he is going to eat plenty.

Should we eat for pleasure?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

All things were created to please God. He created several things for our direct good/pleasure...food being one. Should we eat for pleasure? Absolutely but not in such a way as the fleeting pleasure of eating becomes the goal. Rather we partake in the pleasure of food with the full knowledge and praise of He who proved it.

One of my favorite writers/speakers was addressing this subject and asked us about the prayer we pray before a meal. To paraphrase his question: "When you bow in prayer, are you primarily concerned with communing what a soveriegn God who does all things to amplify His own glory or are you primarily concerned with getting through the prayer and on to the delicious food?"

8. ScottF

ScottF New Member

The easiest way to lose weight is simply by counting calories and excercising temperance (one of the 7 virtues all Christians should observe). Temperance means going just the right length and no further. Or, in other words; "self-restraint" or "self-control". But first you must admit to yourself that you are emotionally overeating (which is what 99.9% of overeating really is). Then and only then will you succeed.

#48 ScottF, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to refrain from saying very much because I always seem to tick SOMEBODY off, but I wanted to say that I've been helping to teach a weight loss class at my church, so if somebody needs help or wants some more information, let me know, I'll be happy to help. I may not now it all, or anywhere near it, but I am in constant contact with multiple coaches for professional athletes and also the nutritional director at a large hospital, so if I don't know it myself or have no strong opinion, I can always get the "official" answer from those folks. Send me an email though, I don't/won't/can't wade through all posts.

I will say 2 things though:

1. Weight loss is simply burning more than you take in. Period. The inverse is true as well. I'm not sure why everybody makes it so complicated. If you don't have as much of a physical level of activity, you need to tone down what you take in.

2. Humans have a 15-20 minute time delay on feeling "full". Many people think that if they eat until they feel full and no more, then they're not overeating or being a glutton or whatever. I'm sorry, but if you eat until you get to that point, you've blown well past the true "full" point. Plus even if you do this, humans cannot judge being "full" based on nutritional content, only volume. So, if you're eating something really rich, it could feel about the same as something that was very empty in nutritional content. So, my point is to just totally get it out of your head that you have to feel "full". People who do that are addicted to that feeling. You have to break yourself of that before you can expect to get anywhere.

Obviously the biggest problem in America is that people are eating really rich food, eating until they feel full, then going past that point a good deal, then not exercising anywhere near what they ought to be doing.

#49 corndogggy, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's great if you're in good shape and have stubborn fat, but most of the people having serious weight issues aren't exactly in the condition or mood to sprint. Way too often people with these problems don't exercise at all, then they go right into something like this, and either get burnt out and turned off REAL quick, or they hurt themselves, which is worse. So, considering what I think is the audience... this is probably bad advice. Stuff like this is exactly why many people steer clear of exercise, they believe that they have to go all-out like this, and it's just horribly uncomfortable and painful, for obvious reasons.

Personally I think people need to take up something they like to do and keep their heart rate up at least past 60% of their max heart rate for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week while also keeping active throughout the week. This will get people started and won't burn them out.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sure, you can eat for pleasure, I eat for pleasure with every meal. I also weighed myself this morning and I weighed the same as if I was 17 and in the best shape of my life. I'm almost 31.

However, there is a BIG difference between enjoying what you eat and gluttony. Even if you give the excuse of "but I love to eat"... well sure you do! Everybody does! You can thoroughly enjoy your meals without abusing food.

I tell everybody that if you love food... you should also respect it.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Logically, we should go to any effort necessary to ascertain foods which are lowest in energy content, sodium content, fat and cholestrol, then select for our consumption those which fit our needed limits-- according to our current weight and overall health-- the ones we dislike the most. That decreases the probability of eating for pleasure rather than necessity.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just don't understand why people can't just eat only what they need, yet highly enjoy what they do eat. Why do people only seem to enjoy their food if they overeat?

14. StraightAndNarrow

Well. as Scarlett O'Hara said in my new home town, I'll worry about that tomorrow. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since today is Thanksgiving, I'm going off the diet I've been on for the last month. So far, I've lost four weeks! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeppers. :D

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how many people struggle with their weight yet continue to go out to eat on a regular basis, including buffets, and possibly soft drinks? You'd probably be surprised.

I'm going to do you folks a favor. I'm working on a website for several simple tips and I'm going to include some below. I've stripped out the explanations for now since I'm still working on the content, but feel free to ask questions about why I feel this way. Most are painfully obvious, yet people struggling with weight usually ignore them. I'll include 10 things to do, and 10 things to NOT do.

THINGS TO DO:

1. drink lots of water. I drink about a gallon a day.

2. go SLOW... eat slow, lose weight slow, etc.

3. quit believing that you have to feel "full". Most people are addicted to this feeling. Unless you can free yourself of this, you will always have problems.

4. get enough sleep! Metabolism and muscle repair are big items here.

5. practice better time management. Most people who struggle say they don't have time to cook better or exercise, yet most of those people do too much stuff and waste an incredible amount of time every day.

6. eat lots of fiber

7. eat less, yet more often. Teach your body to burn energy rather than store it.

8. Get vaguely familiar with the glycemic index for diabetics and what blood sugar spikes will do to you.

9. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. I'm sorry, but those fruits and veggies are NOT what is making you fat.

10. EXERCISE!!!!! 3 hours per week. Try to do cardio where your heart rate is elevated at least past 60% of your max heart rate for at lest 30 minutes at a time.

THINGS TO AVOID

1. high meat consumption. Many people trying to do the low-carb thing thinks they can binge on meat, but this is absolutely horrible for your body.

2. simple sugars! Knock it off with the cakes and soft drinks and other similar items.

3. The term "diets", as in "I'm on a diet". This inheritly means that sooner or later you will be "off" the diet, therefore ensuring that you will just continue your roller-coaster wave of weight fluctuations. You have to change things and keep them that way for the rest of your life.

4. fast food joints. You know better. Don't even walk in their doors.

5. OVEREATING. Yes, this is obvious, but this is most of the problem. Most people who struggle overeat on a daily basis.

6. "all you can eat" buffets. It's way too easy to overeat, humans feel compelled to take advantage of the price and get their money's worth. Plus all that food is so tempting, you eat stuff just to try it just because it looks good.

7. going all out while exercising. Many people who start an exercise regiment go from doing absolutely nothing, to totally busting their rear. They either get burnt out or they hurt themselves, both of which are dumb. Take it easy and increase the intensity slowly. Find something you like to do instead of looking for boring workouts.

8. deep fried foods. You know better. These foods are extremely rich and usually clog your arteries. stay away.

9. GOING HUNGRY! If you starve yourself, you teach your body to be efficient in burning calories, which is the opposite of what you want. You will feel sluggish and tired and will not burn calories at the rate that you need, your body will try to store whatever it can.

10. Letting your emotions interfere. Many people start dieting or whatever because they think they will find self esteem or whatever. They have it backwards. Unless you can get your head screwed on straight from the very beginning, you won't have the mental toughness to see things through. You'll start, then not get the results you want, then you'll get all emotional and weak and before long you're back to your old ways. Unless you are mentally strong to plow through and make sacrifices, you're doomed from the get-go. Food should not be connected to your emotions whatsoever. You have to kill this idea before you can expect to be successful.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Excellent, excellent advice Corndoggy! I have struggled with my weight for about 10 years and the only thing that works is a lifestyle change, not dieting.
    :thumbs:

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Corndoggy, you have some really good points and I agree with you.

Dont discount low carb, tho, just because some people abuse the system. Its a wonderful way to lose/stay trim while eliminating desires for junk food. I have lived on that lifestyle for 2 years, and do not eat meats the way that you have described. Lots and lots of veggies and some fruits too.

Its a lifelong battle for me, and I am so glad for the Lord's help to get me thru.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't discount all of it. There is value in eliminating simple sugars and restricting simple carbohydrates such as potatoes. However, yes many people misunderstand and abuse their meat consumption, but also, if you do incorporate exercise, the fact of the manner is that you need complex carbohydrates. This is mainly why I don't agree with low-carb. If you don't get enough carbohydrates all kinds of nasty stuff will happen, including burning protein as your main energy source which is horrible on your kidneys, but also if you exercise and are deficient on the carbohydrates, during muscle recovery your body can actually break down lesser used muscle tissue in your body in search of some carbs it can use to rebuild, just as if you were protein-deficient.

So, basically, low-carb and exercise do NOT go together. Since I firmly believe that people need to exercise, I have to discount the low-carb ideas.