1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Differences Between Clintons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Dec 7, 2006.

1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Barbarian observes:
    Bush II as worst president ever? Depends on how long it takes to clean up the cesspool in Washington.

Maybe so. But his is not yet shown to be the most corrupt administration (Reagan) or the weakest (Buchanan). Close to the most oppressive, though.

That in itself wouldn't earn him the title.

You believe wrong. For the sheer number of crimes committed by presidential appointees in office, Reagan is by far the greatest.

Here's a list only of those convicted of crimes in the Reagan administration. The list only includes crooks actually working for Reagan; there are many more who were not officially part of the Administration. I probably missed a few, but you get the idea.

Iran/Contra
    Elliot Abrams State Department Bush I pardoned him.
    Robert McFarlane NSC advisor Bush I pardoned him.
    Alan Fiers CIA appointee Bush I pardoned him.
    Clair George CIA appointee Bush pardoned him.
    John Poindexter NSC advisor conviction overturned on a Miranda ruling
    Oliver North NSC, convictions overturned on Miranda ruling.
    (Caspar Weinberger was pardoned by Bush before his case went to trial.)

HUD Bid Rigging Scandal
    James Watt, Sect. of the Interior
    Phillip Winn Asst. HUD Sect.
    Thomas Demery Asst. HUD Sect.
    Deborah Gore Dean ex. sect. to Sam Pierce
    Calalina Villaponda US Treasurer

Lobbying Scandal
    Michael Deaver Reagan Chief of Staff
    Lynn Nofziger (conviction later overturned)

EPA Scandal
    Rita Lavelle

How many convictions do we have for Clinton and his appointees for crimes they committed working for him?

#21 The Galatian, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Have you ever studied the adminstration of Ulysses Grant?

His entire administration was corrupt. There is overwhelming evidence to give him the title of most corrupt administration.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Yes, I have. Once I was stationed at a boring and nowhere base, with nothing much to do but take college classes. So I started taking history classes to pass the time.

True, a good number of his people were brought to justice. Not as many as in Reagan's administration, however.

I'd be pleased to see your numbers, but I don't think so. All the criminals listed above, are only those actually convicted (or pardoned before trial) of crimes committed in the course of their jobs in the Reagan administration. The number of contributors, associates, and those who were dinged for crimes outside of the job was considerably higher.

Like Reagan, Grant was probably not corrupt himself, but was a very poor administrator, and exercised extremely poor judgement in the people he trusted.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...40 government officials were indicted or convicted in the wake of Watergate. A reader computes that there was a total of 31 Reagan era convictions, including 14 because of Iran-Contra and 16 in the Department of Housing & Urban Development scandal. 47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned. A key difference between the Clinton story and earlier ones was the number of criminals with whom he was associated before entering the White House.