1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Differences between the TR and Alexandrian

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Boanerges, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In case of Beast, there are plenty of verses for it, and we can understand the good reason for that metaphor, but as for Eagle....., suddenly?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    18? I would have guessed much younger.
    Uh, you seem to be having a reading comprehension problem.

You claimed that Erasmus translated the last 6 verses from the Vulgate.

I pointed out that was a myth.

You accused me of misrepresenting the facts. You then cut and pasted the statement by Euthymius which agreed with me! Erasmus did not translate from the Vulgate. He translated from a commentary written Lorenzo de Valla!

I said that Hoskier stated Erasmus translated from 141.

You accused me of misrepresenting the facts. You then posted another cut and past from Euthymius which, again, agreed with me! He says that Hoskier did make that claim.

So, please explain to my how your posting of Euthymius's agreements with me proves I "misrepresented the facts?"
    The fact is that Erasmus did not translate from the Vulgate.

And I don't know nor care who he was addressing. He was correct. Erasmus did not translate from the Vulgate and Hoskier did claim Erasmus had 141. How can my statement be "ridiculous" when I make it but "profound" when Euthymius makes the same statement?

3. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Here is Revelation 4:
    Here we see an Eagle speaking so it's not that unlikely that in chapter 8 verse 13 we could see an Eagle speaking.

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Hoskier admits that 141 was a handwritten copy of a printed Greek NT and is therefore of no value. It means nothing to the Greek manuscript tradition. But the fact remains even as you posted Erasmus did translate much of the last 6 verses of Revelation from LATIN.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hoskier admits that 141 was a handwritten copy of a printed Greek NT and is therefore of no value. It means nothing to the Greek manuscript tradition. But the fact remains even as you posted Erasmus did translate much of the last 6 verses of Revelation from LATIN. </font>[/QUOTE]One last time. Now, pay attention. Erasmus did not translate from the Latin Vulgate. Hoskier said he used 141. Both of those statements are true. Even your internet "expert" attests to both those statements being true. So, how does my posting true statements constitute "mistating the facts?"

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

You admit that Erasmus translated some of those 6 verses from the commentary written Lorenzo de Valla which was in Latin so there it is you admit that Erasmus translated some portions of those verses from the Latin.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    &lt;sigh&gt; One more time. I said that Erasmus did not translate from the Latin Vulgate.

8. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

[personal attack deleted.]

[ March 06, 2006, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

9. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

10. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

But Dr. Cassidy has yet to give the facts.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What facts have I failed to give? Even your internet "expert" concurred with my statements. Do you dispute those facts? If so, can you offer any empirical evidence that Erasmus did, in fact, translate from the Latin Vulgate into Greek even though he clearly said that he did not, but rather translated from a commentary by Lorenzo de Valla?

Can you offer any empirical evidence that Hoskier did not intimate that Erasmus got the readings from ms 141?

If not, then why not just agree with the facts that Erasmus did not translate from the Latin Vulgate and that Hoskier did intimate that Erasmus got the reading from 141?

Why must the truth be sacrificed on the altar of ego?

12. Brother James

Brother James New Member

The biggest difference is which one has been blessed and been used of God. I'm not against a new translation but the sea of translations that have come from the CT have caused a lot of confusion amongst the people of God. I'm not a greek scholar so I'll just stick with the text of the reformation.

13. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

You cannot be serious. I thought all that learning was for the purposes of educating other people, not for pride? What was I thinking?

Moderator: I would like to know why you allow Dr. Cassidy's insult to stand, but my calling attention to it is snipped? Do you not feel this is playing favorites? Are you unsure as to whether or not he was insulting people?

14. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Here is the board= Bible Versions Discussion Board where you can talk to my source and debate him if you wish.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you don't seem to understand. He and I agree. I have nothing to debate with him. We agree. It is you who keeps saying different.

16. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Here is the board= Bible Versions Discussion Board where you can talk to my source and debate him if you wish. </font>[/QUOTE]Man, how I hate going to boards with a zillion pop-ups. Too annoying for me. :eek:

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you mentioned about the living creature is related to Ezekiel 1 and doesn't say exactly Eagle, but says "looks like an Eagle which may be special angelic nature. But in 8:13, after describing the 4 angels, another angel declares so. Moreover, what the angel (or eagle) declare is the Woes, saying woe, woe, woe. One woe is mentioned in 9:12 which was declared by the fifth angel, 11:14 another woe, thereafter the third woe was following. all the woes were declared by angels. I can hardly expect the eagle was declaring the woes flying in the chaos. It is up to you.

18. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

In a sense I can understand the position. But I will not correct the Word of God because it makes more sense from me to do so.

19. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

That's why they invented the popupblocker. [​IMG]

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me either! since I trust Erasmus who did a good job while othere didn't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.