1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Differences in EETs: Hence from me, Satan? Luke 4:8

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Jun 30, 2012.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

And Jhesus answeride, and seide to hym, It is writun, Thou schalt worschipe thi Lord God, and to hym aloone thou schalt serue.
    (1395 Wycliffe)

Iesus answered him & sayde: hence from me Sathan. For it is written: Thou shalt honour the Lorde thy God and him only serve.
    (1530 Tyndale)

Iesus answered him, and sayde: Auoyde fro me thou Satan. It is wrytten: Thou shalt worshippe the LORDE thy God, and him onely shalt thou serue. (1535 Coverdale)

Iesus answered him and sayde. Hence from me Sathan. For it is writte: Thou shall honoure the Lord thy God and him onlye serue.
    (1549 Matthews)

Jesus answered him and sayde: Hence frome me Sata. For it is wrytten: thou shalt honour the Lorde thy God and him onely serue.
    (1539 Taverner)

And Iesus answered hym, saying: It is written man shall not lyue by breed only, but by euery worde of God.
    (1540 Great)

But Iesus answered him, and saide, Hence from mee, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lorde thy God, and him alone thou shalt serue. (1583 Geneva)

Iesus aunswered, & sayde vnto hym, Hence from me Satan: For it is writte, Thou shalt worship the Lorde thy God, and hym only shalt thou serue. (1568 Bishops')

And Iesvs answering said to him, It is written, Thou shalt adore the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serue.
    (1610 Douai-Rheims)

And Iesus answered and said vnto him, Get thee behinde me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him onely shalt thou serue. (1611 AV)
    Should English readers have been concerned that Tyndale didn't agree with Wycliffe? Should Christians in England have been outraged that Coverdale edited his later work (on the Great Bible) differently from his earlier translation? Should 17th century believers have been confused by the proliferation of Bible versions? Ought the king's revisers changed the well established "hence"?

#1 franklinmonroe, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Hey Franklin,

The removal of the expression "Get thee behind me, Satan" from this place in Luke's Gospel represents either (1) an orthodox corruption (because these words were thought to mean "follow me" in the early church and thus were thought to be meant only for the Holy Apostle Peter, certainly not Satan!) or (2) a correction to alleviate the problem that Satan did not immediately get out of Jesus' sight due to the inverting of the temptation scenes in Luke's account (i.e., Satan sticks around and basically ignores the command to leave, and this was thought quite unacceptable by orthodox critics/scribes).

For a little writeup on the orthodox corruption of the same expression in Matthew's Gospel, see my little blog post: Matt 4:3 οπισω μου: A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland