1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different kinds...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NarnianSoldier, Dec 17, 2005.

1. NarnianSoldier

NarnianSoldier New Member

I'm new to the whole baptist scene...I have a question...

What is the difference between all the different kinds of baptists? Are some more right than others or do they all teach the same things but just worship differently?

2. NarnianSoldier

I ask this because someone emailed me this joke and, while humorous, I kinda too issue with it:

Are there than many denomenations that teach that many different things? How do we know which ones are right?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A lot boils down to personal convictions. For instance IFB states women should not wear pants. This is their conviction. Worship can be different, too. Some churches only have a piano, while others have an entire band. There is none more "right" than the other, just different. The Bible should be the sole authority in all Baptist denominations, not people's personal convictions.

4. NarnianSoldier

Will God keep women out of heaven who wear pants? Or is that only wearing pants to the service?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God will not keep women out of heaven even if they wear a bikini! Dress has nothing to do with salvation (although some would quietly think so [​IMG] )

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No they dont. Some individuals do, but IFB's as a whole do not teach this. You will only find this teaching in a minority of IFB churches.

The different kinds of Baptists have several reasons:

1. Geographical -- Baptists associate in regional associations, typically.
    2. Doctrinal differences -- Some Baptists differ on beliefs, that are not a part of hte Baptist distinctives.

7. NarnianSoldier

So are the "baptist distinctives" in the bible?

8. NarnianSoldier

9. riverm

riverm New Member

I have a copy of J.M. Carroll’s book entitled “The Trail of Blood”. Basically he claims that the Baptist Church can trace their roots all the way back to the Apostles of Jesus Christ. Any independent research I have done doesn’t support his claims.

Any thoughts on Carroll’s book “The Trail of Blood” in regard to Baptist history…

Blessings

10. riverm

riverm New Member

The only Baptist Church I am familiar with is the Independent Fundamentalist. I used to be a member of an IFB Church for the better part of my life. I’ve lived in Tennessee and now in Indiana and all have been pretty stricted in regard to dress, church music, KJVO, soul winning and anything worldly as TV, music (CCM), movies, restaurants that serve alcohol. Even though they didn’t “require” you to adhere to these, you defiantly were not in the “click” if you didn’t.

I had problems with the Altar Calls, and the fact that the IFB churches I attended and were members of anyway, lacked severely in their discipleship.

I was taught in Sunday school that the IFB, are really “non-denomination” and just adhere to the Baptist distinctives. I was also taught that the IFB Churches are the ones that came directly from the Apostles that Christ sent out.

Blessings