Different types of death seen in the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by revmwc, Apr 15, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc
    Expand Collapse

I see and have been taught along with my personal study that their are 7 types of deaths in the word of God. I had a pastor teach 8 types of deaths, how many do you see and name them.

I'll post mine later with scriptural references.

2. revmwc

revmwc
    Expand Collapse

Wow you guys jumped on this one really fast (NOT). LOL

Here we go 7 Types of death seen in Scripture.

1 Physical we all know how this is seperation of thew soul from the body for the unbeliever and the soul and spirit for the believer.

2. Spiritual Death - everyone is born Spiritually dead. As Romans 5 tells us death was imputed to all mankind. This death is sepration of the human spirit from God in time. GEN. 2:17; Rom 5:12; Ephesians 2:1

Gen. 2: 17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

What happened Adam and Eve hid from God (seperation from God in Time) in shame of there sin and God made the way for restoration.

Ephesians 2:1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

We were spiritually dead in tresspasses and si.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Spiritual Death passed upon all mankind at birth.

3. The Second Death - the seperation of the unbeliever from God for all eternity.
    Heb. 9:27; Rev. 20:12 -15; Luke 12

4. Positional death- the believer is dead positionallly with Christ death on the cross as well as his Ressurection and Ascension and session.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
    6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Col. 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Col. 3:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

5. Temporal death - seperation of the believer from fellowship with God in time.
    Luke 15:24, 32
    Romans 8:6
    Eph. 5:14
    1 Tim 5:6
    James 1:15
    Rev. 3:1

6. Operational Death - seperation for operating in the control of the Holy Spirit. This could even be good works but not lead of the Holy Spirit.
    1 Tim. 5:6 Applies to Temporal and Operational.
    Hebrews 6:1
    James 2:26

7. Sexual Death - sepration of the ability to reproduce.
    Rom. 14:17 - 21
    Heb. 11:11 -12

I have heard of one called Optional death.