1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diploma Etiquette

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

I need some help. Is there any such thing as "Diploma Etiquette?" What I mean by the question is this. I have a "Diploma of Theology" from Mid America Baptist Seminary that was changed to an "Associate of Divinity." Can I hang these two together, or no? I also have a "BS" from the old Mid South Bible College. When it changed its name from MSBC to Crichton College I got a new diplima also. Can I hang both of them side by side. I do not want to mislead anyone. Would it be appropriate?

The reason I ask is that I know a dean at a Baptist College who has the old "Bachelor of Divinity" and the newer "Master of Divinity" (both are the same degree but were changed over similar to my degree circumstances). Can someone give me some opinions on the protocol or etiquette of this small matter?

What about it Broadus, UZTHD, and Dr. Bob? I need a little help please.

sdg!

rd

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Why not?

My wife and I tonight go to dinner on a two for one coupon!

And Western took my MA work toward the MDiv equivalency (prepatory to ThM) so I really didn't do all normally expected for both MA and MDiv degrees.

So , yes. Hang them both.

Na, on second thought that'd be deceptive, not so?

Well, then, here's your solution: Hang both. Then from one dangle a big sign that says you got them both for the SAME work. See, that will prove your honesty to all who view them on the wall. [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no problem in it. I have a B.A. in Bible/Pastoral/Language with work at Pillsbury and Maranatha BBC.

A few years later, I went to the University of Wisconsin and they threw out 24 credits of my Bible major (kept some as lit/Hebrew History) and then said "get a new major" and we will be happy.

So took 18 credits in history (added to what I had) for a new major, and a couple classes in Russian education (the reason I went to the UW) doing a 3 credit afternoon/3 credit evening every Tuesday. In 4 semesters, 1 day a week, I had a B.S. degree from UW.

I hang both degrees, even though a good portion of credits applied to each.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are diploma/certificate courses and not a "degree" per se. What would be wrong would be to claim "I have a theology degree from . . ." Or "I have an Associate degree from . . . "

But I would not hang THEM together; one replaces the other. Hang the one of your choice next to the real baccalaureate degree with pride.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

UZThD, did Western actually give you an MDiv diploma for MDiv equivalency? If so, I'm kind of jealous, ha, ha. Ashland Theological Seminary gave me MDiv equivalency for an M.A.R., 30 credits toward an MDiv and an MSW. when I applied for their DMin program- -but alas, no MDiv diploma.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

I hate to be the naysayer, but IMO, if a diploma replaces a previous one, I would display only the one which came later. And my opinion is worth about what you paid for it!

Blessings,
    Bill

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always wondered whether you should hang your diplomas at your office or in your home.

By Geroge, since you have two (similar) diplomas, hang one in the church office and one at your home!!

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus,

How can you be a naysayer when I asked for your opinion?

sdg!

rd

10. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

In the spirit of compromise (GASP) you could get a nice framing job where the two diplomas were put in the same frame. If the newer diploma overlapped the older that would communicate that there is more to the story. Add two pictures of the school corresponding to when the two diplomas were issued and you might just have yourself a conversation piece!

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Great idea! Some seminary bookstores actually sell frames that hold two diplomas. That could be a solution.