1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diploma Mill how do you judge one?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by revmwc, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

For all that work and trainig you gained no college credit but should have and doesn't that equate to gaining knowledge through training and on the job experience?

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

By serving as youth minister, leading music and serving as an interim pastor. Leading music lead to a pastorate when the pastor left first interim then bivo pastor. Pastored that church 7 years and have been supplying and serving as interim since.

I have sent resume upon resume only to be told my Associates degree wasn't enough that I needed at least a bachelors.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If that bothers you, then earn a legitimate, accredited Bachelors...or at least an equivalent unaccredited one, that requires an equivalent amount of work. Don't cut corners, and then claim the same degree as someone else who has put in a lot more work for it.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

IMO I did.

Especially according to this from wiki about the BBFI schools:
    Training takes place through the Fellowship's two owned schools and other approved, but separately owned and operated schools. Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri, has been the flagship school since its founding in 1950, growing to become the world's largest Bible college at its apex in the mid-70's. It is accredited by the North Central Association, and the current president is Jim Edge. A second school was founded in 1976 in Shrub Oak, New York, later moving to Boston to become Boston Baptist College. It is accredited by Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, and the current president is David Melton. Two other schools are approved by the BBFI as recognized training centers for its missionaries, Pacific Baptist College in Pomona, California; and Louisiana Baptist University in Shreveport, Louisiana. These schools are owned and operated by others, but are sanctioned to be eligible to receive funds through the BBFI Missions Office.

And this from BBFI:

http://bbfi.org/colleges.htm

welcome to the
    bbfi college index

Fellowship Owned Colleges

Baptist Bible College
    Springfield, Missouri

Boston Baptist College
    Boston, Massachusetts

Other Approved Colleges

Louisiana Baptist University
    Shreveport, Louisiana

Pacific Baptist College
    Pomona, California

Seems like a recognized school by the BBFI.

#44 revmwc, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    revmwc,

In my humble opinion, and since I have done both, I am qualified to make the judgment, OJT OR FIELD EXPERIENCE DOES NOT EQUAL OR EQUATE TO A COLLEGE DEGREE. Forgive the caps.

"That is all!" :smilewinkgrin:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't recall ever saying to just sit in a chair and wait for knowledge to pour upon you {snip} you now are saying knowledge and training are to come from the church? That kind of throws a monkey wrench in your previos argument on school sponsored higher education.

#46 webdog, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

More on SBS:
    Each course has anywhere from 4 to 10 CD's of lectures and 2 to three test including the Final. So depending on which courses one takes it could be up to 60 hours of lectures for every 30 hours of class work. If the CD's are 1 hour CD's and I think that most CD's won't be over 77 to 78 minutes of information. The test are based on the outline contained in the CD, so the student needs to take very good notes in order to pass the test.
    After completion of the CD's or portions of the CD's the student studies their notes and takes the test.
    The faculty I looked at did't have a degree from SBS but other schools.
    Not sure if they would fall into the Diploma Mill definition, the student does work for the degree with time spent listening to the CD lectures and taking the test.
    Michael you tell me.

#47 revmwc, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm coming to this one a bit late, so my apologies...

Absolutely. I don't understand why evangelicals, specifically, have a problem with allowing a thorough and unbiased review of an institution to determine its competency and integrity.

Some semblance of structure of consistency is an earmark of a thorough institution. If any school hands out a degree completion sheet and says, "make it up for yourself" they are misleading the students. Higher education needs to be a two-way conversation. There are some courses that provide important data which will impact the rest of the student's curricula.

I don't understand the question.

There are three tests for me:
    1. Low, and I mean almost no, professorial interaction. By this I mean numerous individuals who are competent in their specific disciplines that engage with the student through both lecture and specific assignments.

2. Student gets to determine all of their coursework and there is no second party syllabi from professors that dictate students' coursework. Students are not the experts in education, they need to be pushed and stretched. Professors are the ones who can do this.

3. There is a mail us a check, send us your personally designed assignments, read these books (we trust you), and you'll get a diploma kind of stuff. This isn't the way actual education works.

That isn't an actual education. The big question for anyone considering a school is how much do you want to grow. Do you want a degree for the wall? Or do you want to have a new perspective?

Accreditation is a funky thing. It does have some bearing on the nature of a quality education. But it isn't an be-all-end-all.

9. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

revmwc,
    Let me give you an example of one class I took at seminary, and lets see how it compares. The class I will speak of is a church history class. The professor had her Ph.D. from Southern Baptist Seminary. The text book was Hans Kung's Christianity, Essence, History, and Future The book has 968 pages, which had to be read. I attended one hour lectures three times a week for fifteen weeks. I had to interact with students during the class, I had to write four 10 page papers, and a final group project, by group 3 other people, which was a 50 page paper. Also, I had weekly quizzes on the reading, a 100 question midterm, and a 150 question final, most of the questions were fill in the blank. I was not able to use my notes for these tests. The class was rigorous and difficult. I feel lucky to pass because I took other classes as well, but it took so much of my time. While ten hour long CD's with tests is some work, it does not quite meet the rigor test for me.

However, even if it did, I still have issue with the deceptive accreditation agency. I would rather a unaccredited school just be honest and say they cannot achieve accreditation or will not achieve accreditation instead of going after one that isn't recognized.

I admit the class I am describing is harder than most, but it was required for the M.Div degree from an accredited institution.

I am not trying to be an elitist, but if you ask does SBS meet my criteria as an acceptable school, from what you have said to me, it does not. I wouldn't quite say it is a diploma mill, but the standards for the degrees offered seem lower what is required at accredited institutions.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

My answwers in bold above

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Test Post

Test Post Please forgive...:smilewinkgrin:

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Not as much as some :tongue3: Seriously, no I don't. Again, some have that market cornered so why bother.

Indeed. I should've typed lightning. I suffered a severe back injury due to a car accident while in seminary to the point that I spend a day or two a week off my feet, and usually that day is after preaching twice. I have had a severe flare-up, so my proofing skills have been trumped. My apologies.

Not sure what you're aiming at here. Seems to be off topic.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Whoa!

I just read over this thread. I am shocked and dismayed.

First of all, let me reiterate something I've had to reiterate far too many times lately. This is a fellowship forum. That doesn't mean debate is barred; however, the threshold for violations and for failing to abide by posting rules 2 and 3 are much lower than what they are for debate forums. Personal attacks will not be allowed. Snide comments are not welcome. Ad hominem will not be allowed.

We started off talking about diploma mills. Some made very salient and germane posts. Some did not. Many did both in ways that were offensive to individuals. Therefore, this thread is closed. It doesn't matter how right you are - no one has the right to do wrong when they're right in confronting wrong.

Reprise the theme song and roll the credits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.