1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discipline & Restoration

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tony F, May 13, 2003.

1. Tony F

Tony F New Member

I'm fairly well versed on the Biblical methods of church discipline, but I was wondering if some of you can provide some information on the restoration of a former member.

My question is particular to the situation of restoring someone that is no longer in the area or desiring to be part of the local church that they were removed from. What takes place in a situation like that?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's tough if they have left the area. They will need to personally apologise to the people they have offended.

It really depends upon the reason for the members dismissal from the church body.

In a more local situation, after it has been established that the disciplined member is repentant and wishes to return, you need to determine the extent of the apology needed. If a person has sinned before the congregation, then a public apology is needed. If it was a lesser known sin that was done, then the apology may be confined to those "in the know". Remember too, the return of the person to the church can be a blessing and warning to those in your body.

Of great importance is discerning that the involved family is of one mind; you shouldn't bring someone back if it causes conflict within their family.

Perhaps a "Restoration Team" would be in order in some instances. A group of men and women who can counsel the whole family that was involved. It may need to be a long process, thought out and deliberate.

Prayer is always good. [​IMG]
    Rob