1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion of the first article of the "affirmations" and in particular Ezekiel 18

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Jun 8, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another “proof” from scriptures that the “affirmations” use to support the view of “God’s desire for every person to be saved.”

They would only use verses 23 and 32, but leave out the context of the verses. The context is included in this post.

Ezekiel 18: 23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
    24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.
    25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?
    26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.
    27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
    28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
    29 Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?
    30 ¶ Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
    31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
    32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.​

IN CONTEXT the passage is a statement of consequences not God’s desires; a declaration of end results of a person who turns from God compared to a person who turns to God. That God's judgment is just and righteous and not "unequal" or unequally applied.

The passage does not support what the affirmation statement that “God’s desire (is) for every person to be saved;” the passage is miss applied into a view in which the passage cannot nor does it support.

Again, misapplication weakens the "affirmations."