1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disenfranchised SBC Conservatives

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Rev. G, May 17, 2003.

1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Just curious if there are any SBC conservatives who are appalled with the state of things in the SBC? When I say "conservative" I mean those who would be placed in the "conservative resurgence" / "fundamentalist-conservative" camp. I know there are tons of disenfranchised moderates / liberals.

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think there are some of us Conservatives who are distrustful of all Bureaucracy regardless of who is holding the reins in the SBC.

There are also some of us who are leery of certain programs, plans and personalities.

There are many of us Conservatives who hold to Calvinism who are cautiously awaiting our turn to be the next whipping boy.

There are some Conservatives who don't believe the finances are as good as we've been led to believe in all cases.

So to answer your question - Yes.

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

"An exchange of one bureaucrats for another doth not a reformation make." - Timothy George

Care to elaborate on plans and personalities?

Awaiting?

Why? Just because the IMB recently was short over $100m?

4. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

"An exchange of one bureaucrats for another doth not a reformation make." - Timothy George
    I knew I liked Timothy George. :D

Care to elaborate on plans and personalities?
    Not in a public forum like this.

Awaiting?
    Yeah until they can Al Mohler I won't worry.

Why? Just because the IMB recently was short over $100m?
    That and other indications that all is not well in Valhalla, er I mean Nashville.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am a Reformed Southern Baptist who is satisfied with where we are relative to where we used to be when we were in the iron fist of the liberal machinery. But we have a long way to go to get to where we need to be.

So in essence, my answer is: not really.

6. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Yes, we have given up. We tried IFB and it was not much better there.

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know my "alter-ego" on the BB will never be Daniel David or Joshua, but right now my "alter-ego" happens to be Baptist Believer. I hope this little parable answers the original question :cool:

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I always thought I was a moderate. [​IMG]

9. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

There are some within the SBC family who wish to see the SBC become like McDonald's Corporation.

Nashville = Corporate Office
    State Conventions = Regional Offices
    Associations = District Offices
    Local Churches = Local Franchises

Pastor = Franchise Manager

Notice I did not say within the current SBC Leadership but I see this attitude in a lot of young SBC'ers who are gung ho Conservatives.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

To be fair, I saw liberals do this under the liberal reign.

11. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Don't blame you, friend.

Corporate mentality? Unfortunately, yes! Just read our "conservative" church growth books and listen to many of our sermons. :eek:

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

Yes, I am. And what surprises me about this thread and others is how several of you agree with me on that, and yet see enforcing signing by missionaries of the BF&M 2000 as a good thing.

For example, if Calvinists really get a stronghold in the SBC, it is possible that missionaries who hold my conservative, yet non-Calvinist (also non-Arminian :D ) views COULD be next. (I realize such a move would not come from you, Rev. G. I lurk on the excellent board you frequent with SB.)
    Or pick any other theological issue.

The BF&M is not amended often, but when it is, it is only the consensus of a majority of the messengers present at a particular convention.

Karen

13. bapterian

bapterian New Member

I'm conservative, but I've grown tired of the power struggle and reading about it. Slanderous remarks are made by both sides and I'm tired of the gossip. I no longer read the Baptist Press, Baptist Standard, ABP, etc. I know longer know what is currently going on at the National or State level.

I'm focused on my local church and some local associational issues and that's about it. It's a liberating feeling! [​IMG]