1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dish Network and ABC

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by bobbyd, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm just curious, is anyone else on here a dish network subscriber who pays for local service but has had their ABC affiliate removed from the line up? We are in the Shreveport market and have been without ABC since Jan. 1 (and is really annoying me right now since i am a life long Lakers fan!) and i just saw that they have dropped the Baton Rouge ABC affiliate on May 1.
    Anyone else having this problem, if so...where?

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've got Dish and the local ABC station hasn't gone away from my lineup.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I have Dish and am receiving the ABC affiliate out of Jacksonville, FL.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It happens when Dish and the local station can't come to terms. If you are in the spot beam for Dallas or Springfield locals, tell them you moved and give them an address for service there. You will get locals from the other city. Or give a Denver service address and 'move' there. Denver locals are on a nationwide beam and you get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, Ion, 2 PBS Statons, and a bunch of others. That is if you don't mind non-live shows an hour later. Sports will still be live. Your regional sports will become Fox Rocky Mt and the Altitude network though.

#4 Magnetic Poles, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

You wouldn't be suggesting for someone to be dishonest there, would you, MP?

6. Magnetic Poles

Me? Never! This was for informational and educational porpoises only, for some hypothetical situation. :laugh:

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

[​IMG] Don't be playing that innocent game with us now. :saint:

8. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

My mailing address is in one city, but my physical address is in another. In order for me to recieve local channels I had to use my mailing address as a "billing" address and the other as a service address.

Such is country living

9. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Dish Ripoff I mean Network :)

Same here, I live near Panama City,Fl. and I think it was CBS in Dothan,Al. was being broadcast when we first subscribed 2 years ago then a month later they took it off stating " Legal Issues" Same with the Monster Channel in HD, there were " Legal Issues" involved. I wanted to add a DVR receiver to my plan and Dish wanted 75.00 to hook it up, I told them heck no I can hook the dunb DVR up myself. They are good when you first get them but after your a customer they do not offer you any promos at all. So get everything when you first sign up then you can always drop it later.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

The local broadcast stations are free, and dish charges for them. Some stations want their station to remain free and will not allow dish to use them and charge for them.

11. Magnetic Poles

Donna, you have been misinformed.The stations all want on the systems..gives them more viewers and ad revenue. But they are quibbling over price of carriage rights. Here is how it works:

1. Dish Network, DirecTV, Comcast, etc. negotiate retransmission rights with content providers.
    2. Those content providers, be they local stations, Disney, HBO, Liberty, or whomever, get payments from the satcasters and cable operators
    3. Sometimes they can't agree on the price, and a station or network come off of a system until they can have a meeting of the minds on price.
    4. The higher programming costs are passed on to the subscribers as higher rates
    5. Dish Network doesn't care if you get locals for free. In fact, their installers will wire in your over the air antenna into the cable going to the DVR or set top box for you. They offer locals for those who can't get a good OTA signal. In fact, the latest HD DVRs they sell include Over the Air tuners built in just for that purpose.
    6. Dish offers Dish DVR Advantage that basically includes locals for free.
    7. Sometimes it is nothing about your local station. It may be the ownership group can't come to terms with, oh say a station in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and that station owner also owns one of your local stations. All stations owned by that company may come down.

This is why some station you don't care about are included...For example, you may not like "World of Beekeeping channel" but if it is owned by Disney, Dish has to carry it to get ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel, etc.

#11 Magnetic Poles, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  12. Magnetic Poles

I would add that what Dish is charging for is the satellite transponders to rebroadcast them. It talks lots of those (and they aren't cheap) to carry every station in the US. Also, if you get your locals via DISH, DirecTV or Cable, you won't be affected by the February 2009 digital transition.