1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disheartening...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by APuritanMindset, Mar 9, 2005.

1. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I came across this on another message board that I frequent...this really bothered me. Now, I am not a big fan of Rick Warren, I don't by any means loathe the man though or his writings. I just am not a fan. Well, for those that are, you may wanna take this into consideration and pray for him but also be careful about what you read by him. I don't have the answers to it. I'll post them when I have them.

Match the quotes with the authors

A. From a "pastor" of a church self-identified as a gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered church.

B. From A West Virginia Extension Service paper on sustainable living.

C. From Rick Warren.

D. From the "Center for Change" publication on social support.

E. From a sermon by a Unitarian minister in Georgia.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

A-1
    B-5
    C-3
    D-4
    E-2

Wild guesses from someone who has only a fleeting knowledge of gay pastors, West VA, Rick Warren, or the others.

3. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

A-5 personal passions is a DEAD giveaway, and I do mean D E A D !!
    B-1 Considering the word "sustain" is used
    C-3 just sounds like Rick Warren and ecumenicalism
    D-4 from the LOST perspective, spirituality can be also spiritism, relating to demonolgy and evn sorcery and witchcraft
    E-2 untiarian definitely, all they ever do is "preach" unification, and that over the aspect of religion ONLY, which, btw, is sending many souls to hell. :(

Just giving this the "once-over", which a little discernment over such matters, but all of them could be attributed to the other, but if my suspicion rules and is correct, Rick Warren is awarded all of the above. :( :(

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

A-4
    B-1
    C-5
    D-2
    E-3

5. Karen

Karen Active Member

I would guess that C, Rick Warren, is 5 - learn how to act on your personal passions.

I went through the Purpose Driven Life study with a small group in my church, recently.
    If you read the whole book and not take out one sentence, Rick Warren would be saying that God calls and gifts people differently. Finding God's purposes for you leads to fulfillment. Many different ways it could be phrased.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with the quote, in context.

Karen

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, Karen. There's just not enough information to make a guess.

A carefully selected small sentence like the above can be used to mislead and misrepresent whoever said it.

FYI:Network Ministries International (Bruce Bugbee) uses the term "passion" to mean: Something that is intensely desired.

His ministry encourages churches to help their members identify their spiritual gifts.

Rob

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A-3
    B-1
    C-5
    D-4
    E-2

For what it proves, which is nothing.

8. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

A-5
    B-2
    C-4 (I hope, for his sake)
    D-3
    E-1

I would hope that Warren didn't say #5 because these "passions" speak of the flesh.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked up all the other quotes, so the remaining one must be Warren's. But as Deacons said, "A carefully selected small sentence like the above can be used to mislead and misrepresent whoever said it."

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a waste of time and bandwidth. With such little material to evaluate, it is not worth my time.

I could take ANY famous Christian writer (and I mean ANY) and make a hit list that is just as ludicrous.

11. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen!

[​IMG]

12. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I just came across it and thought that I would share. Whether there is enough information or not, it still proves the point that we need to be careful about what we read. Having read through The Purpose Driven Life myself, sometimes he does sound very "New Age". Other times he is wonderful in what he says. But we gotta be discerning as Christians.

As far as the answers, I don't know what they are yet. I've not gotten a response at present. I will post them when I have them though.

13. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

I agree, and that same waste of bandwidth nearly everytime you post!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought the influx and the ratioanl was enough for anyone to see the danger of what a person says, simply because anyone can take bits and pieces out of a person's staements and conjure up something amiss, but with today's "new age" mentality, I wouldn't be surprised at all if all the above were attributed to the same author.

We all need to be more aware of what we say, and how others perceive it, just so they could never say we are "leaning" towards the new age mindset, so please stop being hyper-critical, especially since you are somewhat ignorant of the devil's devices?

14. superdave

superdave New Member

If so he's not the only one.

We have a whole forum that is seemingly dedicated to one of the most devious of the devils devices.

Just like scripture, these comments mean little without the proper context. I can take 30 verses from the same author and make it sound like he contradicts himself, you have to evaluate the whole of someone's philosophy and theology or you are not being discerning, just reactionary. Don't worry, we are used to it.