1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disk Clean up

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Salty, May 13, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tonight, I had 103,065 KB that needed to be cleaned. I did so, I immediately click again, and now I had 77,983 KB that needed to be cleaned.

I did this a second time and now, there is 77,983 KB to be cleaned.

Why isn't my computer cleaning properly?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the risk of insulting your intelligence - Disk Clean-up usually gives you options to delete files in different folders (Recycle Bin, Temporary folders, etc.). Did you select all the boxes to ensure that all files would be removed?

BUT--before you do it, it might also delete all your cookies, which hold your passwords and settings to sites such as Baptist Board. You might want to keep the cookies.

If that doesn't clean you up, I'll look into it some more.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vast majority (over 90%) of files NOT removed are in the "compress old files" which was checked!

A. I clicked on "more options" than "windows components" - it showed Accessories and utilities with 18.0 mb and MSN Explorer with 20.7 mb. Not sure if I should do that or not. To the best of my knowledge, I do not use MSN explorer.

B. I clicked on Installed programs I-tunes has 168 mb - to the best of my knowledge, I do not use I-tunes. Shop for HP supplies has 240 mb - again, I don't think I use that.

C. I did not click on System restore - that would delete all but the most recent posts.

Salty

ps - it would be hard to insult my intelligence - what little there is :laugh:

#3 Salty, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still having the problems - any more suggestions?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

You should get CCleaner. It's free, it's fast, and it works great.

http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner-160512?gclid=CNuQscKIhrACFUZN4Aod0TupmQ

The newest version is fantastic (v3.18). I have been using CCleaner for years and think it is one of the best free programs ever. You can do Registry repair, easily set which programs come on at Startup, uninstall old programs in a flash, it's great, and I have never had a single problem with it.

Get the free version.

Use "Cleaner" on the left to clean up temporary files, etc...

Under "Tools" try "Drive Wiper", this will take a little time the first time, after that it is faster.

Use "Registry" to repair your registry, but ALWAYS BACK IT UP. It will ask you if you want to back it up, just click YES. But I have never had a single problem with it, not once.

#5 Winman, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Disk Cleanup is a waste of time. I agree CCleaner is a better option.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that CCleaner is a better disk clean up program. However, it only cleans your primary drive and can't do secondary drives (unless they've improved on the version I'm using.)

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Salty - got sidetracked.

Definitely recommend CCleaner. Give it a try.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have no idea if this relates, but now and then when I am manually cleaning house I will select all and delete and a portion will not delete. I think there is a fluke in how windows functions.

When I have this situation often if I go to the directories and delete all, then I can delete that mother directory. Other times I have to rename the directory and it will delete???????????? on the why of it all.

I would not worry about it if you don't find an answer unless you need the space REALLLLLY bad :) If you need space get an external drive :)

10. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get rid of windoze and install a free copy of Ubuntu and no more problem.

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, because nothing you try and do will work as you expect it to. Ubuntu is not ready for the mainstream. Leave Linux where it works well, on servers. I have many servers running linux (without a graphical UI) and they are all great. I wouldn't run my server applications on anything else. Windows (I won't use your childish spelling) is where it's at for the desktop. You can continue to be a zealot for desktop Linux, but it's not happening any time soon. (haven't we been hearing that Linux is ready for the desktop for about 15 years now?)

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Bill, for the typical user, I'd recommend Linux Mint 12. Easier for the "average" computer user.