1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disney Bans God From "The Ten Commandments" Movie Ads

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they're afraid to mention God in the ads, I wonder just how biblically accurate it could be.

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

You probably don't have to spend a lot of time to figure that one out. Not mention of God in the ads for fear of offending someone or to get a bigger draw then it's not worth any Christian's time. I'm surprised they included all the Commandments! :BangHead:

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That's what I thought. I've always heard Christians are always a few years behind the rest of the world. Things that were once not accepted are now given a pass. Why? Sin is always sin. We can't change our morality to fit in with the rest of the world.

I guess I sound like an old man then, because I agree. ;)

If something was once seen as sin we should still consider it sin. The world changes its morality all the time. Christians shouldn't follow the world's form of "morality."

It would be better to wait until the movie comes out on DVD. You can always read reviews online. I'm sure there are Christian sites that have movie reviews. Even though most movies today are unfit for Christians.

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christian Spotlight on the Movies

This site gives each movie a morality rating and a movie making quality rating. There are many reviews here so it might come in handy for some.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who has really changed more?-- the Disney Company(es) or Bible-believing Christians? And am I the only one who thinks it's hard to tell?

Sure, it doesn't make sense to leave God out of the Ten Commandments [but I didn't read the article cited, nor do I know that for sure]. But the things Disney is roundly criticized for-- spousal benefits to same-sex 'partners', going beyond G-rated movies (since the 70's), leaving out the Christian element in some features like Pocahontas, being politically correct by banning sales or showings of Song of the South-- have they changed that much, or do Christians today have our own version(s) of political correctness in forms like doctrinal correctness? As far as I know, there were no protests from Christians decades ago when Disney movies featured magic [Cinderella, Fantasia], evil monsters, a carved image coming to life [Pinocchio], witchcraft [Bedknobs and Broomsticks], or showing the pre-Civil War South with no condemnation of slavery [Davy Crockett, Old Yeller]. But since the Eisner years Christians have critized Disney for very comparable things-- magic [Aladdin], witchcraft [The Witches of Eastwick], animism [Pocahontas ("everyone and everything has a spirit")], and violent evil [Mulan]. As far as the social issues of its personnel and access policies, there's no reason to believe Disney was different from most companies and did, at least occasionally, discriminate by race, religion, and sex [or anyway, in those old clips about how they made movies, it seems all animators are white, and almost all voice and technical talents are male), but it's only the more modern issue of sexual identity and orientation for which it gets cracked by Christians. And there is little doubt that if the theme park had opened in Florida before the 60's it would have barred blacks except maybe on a few "Negro Day"s, as state fairs did it. And in those days there certainly were attempts to 'not offend' anyone, as by seldom showing a typical American family praying at the dinner table, as it may sound like the "wrong" kind of prayer [presumably the same reason shows like Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith didn't show that either.

While some criticism of Disney is in order, we need to realize that much of this is because people in general get overly touchy about so many things today. Doctrinal correctness-- having our views affirmed-- is as 'overly touchy' as political correctness, where leftwingers want theirs affirmed.

6. TC2

TC2 Member

First post, so bear with me.
    I've listened to both ads.
    The placement of 'chosen by God' in the original is
    awkward, seems like the voice actors were chosen
    by God. Good for a laugh, but not good marketing.
    So, in that respect, the edit makes sense.

Now, could it have been placed elsewhere, for clarity?
    Possibly.
    To me, this is a small thing, and not worth a boycott.
    I will see this movie, more likely on DVD, but it may be
    worth the time. I won't refuse it because of ads.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I advise just sticking with the Charlton Heston version of "The Ten Commandments". :)

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The one where his rod turns into a rifle? :laugh:

9. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The movie is made by Promenade Pictures and they have no trouble mentioning God in their advertisement. They used Disney Radio as one of their primary targets because the audience is solely family oriented. Disney Radio required the omission of God.

So the omission has nothing to contribute to whether or not the makers of the movie are being God centered, since it applies to a network who had nothing to do with the making of the movie.

Whether or not the movie will be biblical is a fair question, but this omission doesn't speak to it.

By the way, I do like Jeremy Camp's song that goes with the movie!!!

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah. "Jo-sh-sh--sh-u-a-a-a------ bowwww not dowwwwn to meeeeeeee......"

11. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

That's going too far back, Ken. Just maybe about 60 years or so, you know, when the negroes didn't have to be slaves, but they knew their place.:rolleyes:

12. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2nd Timothy, Why does this shock you? We are not allowed to pray in school, and at lease one student who mention Jesus in her/his validictorian speech got in trouble I am not shocked.
    Faithgirl

#32 faithgirl46, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I never said I was shocked. I just posted the article.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone can pray any time, anywhere.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yes indeed! The right to do so has repeatedly been upheld by the court, as if such rulings were needed.

What is not allowed is for teachers in public schools to interject religion on their students. I still wonder how much squealing we will see if they ever change the law, and we end up with Mormon, Wiccan, Muslim, or any other teacher leading prayers to their respective deities. The uproar will be deafening. People need to be careful what they wish for.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah? Anyone any time? The teacher when the tardy bell rings? The principal when regular intercom announcements are made? The student just elected class president when making the acceptance speech? Any student in a class discussion when the teacher poses the question, "Can anyone give the class an example of what he or she does when you're lonely or sad?"?

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Don't know about what one is asking for but when I was a kid most schools down here had prayer and the RCC, Mormon, Jewish and others ,each had their own prayer time and the nonbelievers(don't recall any non believers of some god) had their time, it all was of about 5 minutes at the start of the day. But you can look back to anytime and find good and bad, because we all are sinners.

At the military school I finished HS at was a little different, it was a Baptist school up in Va., had it broke down to denominations and different faith.

#37 Bob Alkire, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  18. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I'm just wondering why we Christians are trying to make a NON-Christian company act Christian and getting upset when they don't.

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Anyone can pray in silent anywhere. At least here in KY, as long as it's a student leading the Prayer, they can at any school function, like the start of a ball game or graduation ceremonies, etc.

20. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I for one am 100% in agreement in not letting teachers interject religious teachings of any kind on our kids for this very reason. If you allow Christianity to be taught, you have to allow the other teachings, of which I don't want my kids taught. School is not a place to teach religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.