1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disobedience to Parents: A Capital Offense?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Aaron, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A debate on another topic prompted this question. This is a question about your views on capital punishment, not child rearing.

For those who advocate capital punishment for murder, and cite the law as evidence that your views are right, do you also advocate capital punishment for adultery and disobedience to parents? Why or why not?

2. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Aaron,

Capital punishment was instituted by God prior to the giving of the law at Sinai. See Gen 9. The laws which imposed capital punishment for those things such as adultery and wanton adolescent disobedience under the Old Economy appear to have been "fulfilled" (Matt 5:17) with the advent of Christ. For example, Jesus does not condemn the woman caught in adultery. Also Paul does not advocate for the death penalty for the son caught in an affair with his step mother (making him both disobedient and an adulterer). So while capital punishment is still enforce for those who unlawfully take another life, the "lesser" crimes found in the civil code of OT Israel do not necessarily carry the same inherent degree of penal sanction.

I hope this helps.

3. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

I would also like to know if they eat catfish,pork or shrimp ! Great question Aaron...I don't think we will see many answer.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Well said Pastor. I agree. :thumbs:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

These laws were given specifically and exclusively to Israel. The Law was not given to anyone outside of Isreal.

This law on diet was to show Israel the distinction between clean and unclean, since they were living among and near pagan nations who sacrificed children, worshiped false gods, had debauched rituals, practiced occult arts such as contact with the dead, etc.

This strenous effort to abide by these regulations showed the Hebrew people what sin was and how holy God is in comparison. The law was a standard to reveal God's holiness and the need to be set apart from pagan nations.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe the Noahic Covenant is still in effect, and is universal and non-optional? (Genuine question.)

7. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

I believe God is faithful and will keep His word. In the covenant promise to Noah, the Lord promises to not destroy the world in that manner again. To which the rainbow was given as a sign of His abiding promise. As to the specific notion that for a life, a life is required, yes, I believe this is the beginning and function of the civil authority - to administer justice (Rom. 13).

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and our need for Christ.

The law was to all God's elect, even to Ruth the Moabitess who became a child of Abraham by faith, and is in the lineage of Christ.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good.:thumbs:

Under Moses, why do you think adultery and disobedience to parents were capital offences as well as murder? (I'm focusing on violations of the moral law, which I also believe to be universal and non-optional.)

My opinion is that these violations jeopardize the general welfare of a society most of all.

10. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Actually the law of God is written on every heart - though suppressed in unrighteousness in many, if not most (Rom. 1).

11. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Many of the sundry judical laws of OT Israel did serve to provide for the common interest and welfare of the people. And while adultery and disobedience to parents remain heinous sins against God, this does not necessarily mean that they remain civil crimes for all times. They may, they may not. Actually, if we study the way the NT handles these and other issues from the OT Mosiac law code, it appears they become more of an ecclesiastical matter than a civil one.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do tell . . .