1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dispensationalism/Covenant Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calvibaptist, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Few people are full Calvinists or dull Armenian in theology, which is good. I think we can safely say that the writings from either school of thought are not "inspired".

2. Plain Old Bill

Sorry about the spelling there. It did turn out kind of funny though.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thanks, brother for the message. AND free prayer time, to boot! [​IMG] It wuz a good long 'un, chock full 'er stuff. [​IMG] :rolleyes: I din't agree with some of it, from either side but enjoyed it nonetheless. Fact is, I got so much from it, I figger' I can sleep-in all day tomorrow, and miss both AM & PM services, 'cause I done got more 'rat chere' (That's "hillbilly Kentuckian" fer right here, at this location), than I'll get in both church services put together. [​IMG] Why, I'll almost say I have got enough 'exter' (done added-on :rolleyes: ) so's I don't even need no devotions 'til at least next Tuesday-week! And we've been getting great messages, wonderful fellowship, AND outstanding results at that! [​IMG]

In His grace,
    Ed :D

[ March 04, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: EdSutton ]

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would challenge the notion that Dr. "Ryrie is a progressive dispie,". And yes, I have read some of Ryrie, and have some things by him.

It is certainly fair to suggest Dr. Ryrie is not a clone of Drs. Scofield or Larkin, to be sure, but neither is he to be classified with Dr. Darrell Bock or some of the other 'PD' types, IMO. He is still considered to be aligned with 'classical dispensationalism. I agree with that, unless he has changed his position drastically over the last one to two years.
    The rest of your post is well said. Search the Scriptures. Amen and Amen!
    In His grace,
    Ed

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Good grief, Bro James! When did it become necessary to post a dissertation to make a point? Wouldn't a link suffice?

To say that dispensationalism is 19th century is pure baloney. The fire bombs thrown at dispensationalism are manufactured from wobbly interpretation and misunderstanding at best. Need I remind everyone that scripture is spiritually discerned?

Mechanical explanations for the flow of scripture simply conk out. One doesn't need gears and sprockets and clanging stuff to facilitate the flow! One of the tragedies of the truth of classic dispensationalism is that its flow is being "adjusted" by concepts such as "progressive" dispensationalism and other contrary schools of thought. Notice that they are "schools of thought," not scriptural discernment accurately applied. ;)

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Good grief, Bro James! When did it become necessary to post a dissertation to make a point? Wouldn't a link suffice?

To say that dispensationalism is 19th century is pure baloney. The fire bombs thrown at dispensationalism are manufactured from wobbly interpretation and misunderstanding at best. Need I remind everyone that scripture is spiritually discerned?

Mechanical explanations for the flow of scripture simply conk out. One doesn't need gears and sprockets and clanging stuff to facilitate the flow! One of the tragedies of the truth of classic dispensationalism is that its flow is being "adjusted" by concepts such as "progressive" dispensationalism and other contrary schools of thought. Notice that they are "schools of thought," not scriptural discernment accurately applied. ;)

7. Plain Old Bill

I think I read a book by Dr. Ryrie this year where he described himself leaning in the progressive direction.That said it might not be leaning far enough to auit some.

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvibaptist:
    Questions for you:
    Have you found the DTS theology to be as off center as some make it out to be?
    Do they still teach Chafer's theology, as written in the systematic theology?
    Setting aside the eschatology for a moment, how would you compare the training at DTS to other schools?

It seems to me, having been a member of bible churches for many years, and now in baptist church, that the comparison of preachers from the schools is fairly obvious. I know my experience is limited, and I know I can't make too many blanket claims.....but in my experience I don't see exegetical preaching except from DTS grads. The baptists put out good evangelists, good topical teachers, but I would be hard pressed to name a true exegetical sermon I've heard that wasn't from a DTS grad.

People get all hung up about what happens in the distant past or distant future, and I know those are important. But if you want the ability to take a passage of scripture and explain it, I'll take the dispie grads of DTS any day of the week.

What is your take?

9. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

This is another thing, I guess. Jesus did not say he came to destroy the Law and Prophets. He came to fulfill the Law and Prophets.

Matthew 5:18 - For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Dispensationalists seem to say the Law has been put aside and will only be brought back in the Kingdom for Israel (or in the Trib - depending on who you talk to). Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and that the Law would not pass away.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm not sure I buy Covenant's separation of the Law into Moral and Ceremonial and Civil, either.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, the problem is with the "TRINITY" or failure to understand it.

God the Father is a "Spirit", Jesus the Son is "Flesh", or "Physical".

The Father was married to Israel, then made a wedding for his "SON", (Church)so there's two "BRIDES", Two marriages.

Confused?? not when you consider the "TRINITY (Father/Son) ARE ONE", and so is the "Bride".

The "Trinity" divides Father/Son, both Brides, and the type of leadership used for each, OT/NT is a good example.

The problem arises when "MAN" fails to make the distinction between the two as scripture does, Israel rejection of "GOD" (Jesus) is a good example.

Israel rejected the "Voice of Jesus", (Holy Ghost) so Jesus doesn't deal with Israel during the trib, (pre trib rapture) God does, and with his "Two witnesses", Elijah/Moses, many "signs and wonders" will be performed by these two which Jews require to believe.

1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign,

The "law" was "Physical", during the trib, Israel will go back under the "law and Prophet" (Moses/Elijah) and instead of a "Spiritual death" as we suffer when our "old man" (Flesh) is Crucified, Israel will suffer a "Literal death" for salvation, their "chastisement" with "THE ROD", (AC) for rejecting Jesus.

Folks say they understand the trinity, but fail to see how it's used to interpret/explain the scriptures.

10. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Honestly, DTS was, and is (as far as I can tell), a great school. I was there as things were starting to cool down over the Lordship Salvation stuff. I was taking primarily theology and Bible exposition classes. What I remember most was that there were a lot of godly professors and students that love the Word and love the Lord.

They emphasize good hermeneutics and good expositional preaching. They are a fairly large school, so there is a variety in some areas of theology, although they are all dispensational. Very little of Chafer's systematic theology is dealt with, although the school is obviously heavily influenced by his views.

I don't think they were "off center" in their theology. There are some soteriological issues I would have with them, but they are very mainstream. Overall, I would still happily recommend DTS to anyone considering seminary.

11. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

He might be now. I don't know. When I was there, Progressive Dispy was kind of new and was still making a splash. He was definitely classical dispy then.

12. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What theology text is used in the systematic theology class(es)?

13. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

They have a variety of systematic theology classes that they offered when I was there. They are broken down into each individual area of theology - ecclesiology, hamartiology, soteriology, etc. The intro to theology course used primarily course notes with Ryrie's Basic Theology as a general reference. The advanced theology class I took was Progressive Dispensationalism, so that pretty much tells you what textbook they used!

14. Plain Old Bill

Hey did you read "Understanding christian Theology" editred by Swindoll & Zuck?I read it about a year ago and found it to be pretty straight forward.

15. Plain Old Bill

Someday I'm going to learn to edit my entries.

16. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

No, I haven't read that. I had Zuck as a prof and heard Swindoll many times in chapel. I greatly respect both of them. Although, Swindoll is no theologian. Not that I think I know more than him or am better than him, it is just that he is a popular preacher who does not do the majority of his work in systematic theology.

Zuck, although not the most interesting speaker, gained my admiration in many ways, not the least of which was his personal attention to his students. He genuinely cares. He also is a very knowledgeable biblical theologian. He taught most of the biblical survey classes.

17. Plain Old Bill

Both good observations.They were the general editors of the book.The actual contributors were:
    Robert Gromacki
    Robert Lightner
    Earl Radmacher
    J. Carl Laney
    John Whitmer
    Robert Payne
    Robert Saucy
    Ed Hayes
    John Walvoord
    Henry Holloman

I think it is a book worth reading.The best thing about it is that it uses the KISS method.Anybody could profit from reading this book.

18. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

Brother James,

Will you please elaborate further on this quote:

"Post-trib Dispensationalism does not work; because you are mixing up God’s dealings with the church and through earthly Israel".

How do you explain this statement in the light
    of Rom.11:25-26?

Thank you,
    Mel Miller www.lastday.net

19. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

If you're still looking into Dispensationalism, as I have been for several years, don't miss the following papers, especially the Timelines in the last one:

Progressive Dispensationalism Basics

Kenneth Gentry - Dispensationalism In Transition

Gary Breshears - New Directions In Dispensationalism (Word Document)

Progressive Dispensational Overview

Godspeed.

:saint:

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If you are interested in a book discussing Covenant Theology that is very readable I suggest the series by Martyn LLoyd Jones: God the Father, God the Son; God the Holy Spirit; The Church and Last Things. I believe the series is available only as a single volume now.

Since you are looking at Baptist History and Historic Baptist Theology I suggest By His Grace and For His Glory by Thomas J. Nettles. This book, though excellent and recently revised, is not an easy read but certainly worthwhile. Nettles traces the decline of the Doctrines of Grace in the Baptist Church and the move to Arminianism.