1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dispensationalists: Why is This Version of Israel THE One of Prophecy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Jul 31, 2012.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Though I'm a progressive dispensationalist, I don't accept that the political Israel of current is the same as spiritual Israel of the OT. So I guess I answered the OP from that perspective.

The dispensationalists who affirm what you're getting into usually start with the unfulfilled Abrahamic covenant that, though extended by the Church, will only be fulfilled in the re-establishment of the Nation of Israel (regardless of form or faithfulness) prior to the pre-tribulational rapture of the Church. The re-established Nation of Israel plays a key role in the Tribulation with a number of eschatological acts being performed around and within its borders.

The current National Israel is an extension of the OT Israel insofar as it is comprised of genetic descendants of Abraham (Jews are of the Tribe of Judah.) Also given their genealogical link they thus are inheritors of the Abrahamic Covenant which (according to Dispensational Pre-Millennial/Pre-Tribulationalists) is binding and unconditional. Thus the Jews are the natural inheritors of the Abrahamic promise of a great nation, land, and progeny.

Therefore any promises of the OT for Israel which are currently unfulfilled, these transfer to the re-established Israel for prophetic accomplishment at the end of the age. Revelation becomes a key in the (mis)interpretation of the role of Israelite concepts (tribes, male virgins, heavenly kingdom images, etc.)

I don't know, but that is just my take. :)

2. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Though this wasn't directed at me...I'll toss in...the need for a new Temple. If Hebrews is correct we don't need a new Temple for sacrifices. Why would God permit this? Why is God bound by a physical object determining His eschatological plan?

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amy.G

In this passage Paul is speaking about Israel. He is explaining what has happened to them. To understand it at all ,you need to slow down a bit and look carefully at it.

He did not say this....as you write it:
    what it does say is blindness ...IN PART....Has happened to Israel. That speaks of a remnant....not all were blinded.
    Gentiles being grafted in with the remnant form the new Israel.

If a gentile was saved in the OT....did they stay seperate from Jsrael...or become a part of that nation?

you speak of elect gentiles...elect jews have a remnant.

Does eph 2 mix them???

We have to see who the promise was made to...yes!:thumbs:

And all through the NT, the church is always referred to as the CHURCH. Israel is always referred to as ISRAEL.

acts 7:38
    not the same as the nt church, yet it also was a called out assembly

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course we don't need a temple...but blinded jews do. He is not bound by anything He hasn't foretold through prophecy....and He permitted many atrocities by Israel throughout history, no?

5. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Though I am neither an Amillennialist or Preterist (neither is defensible in light of NT eschatology and a coherent read of Revelation) I would suggest we need to read Paul's entire argument across Romans 7-12. The key here is that, for Paul, he is going to make a distinction between spiritual Israel and political Israel. There are Jews, and genetic descendants of Abraham in Israel, who are pagans and not worthy of salvation. (I'd also point out that even the OT there are passages detailing how to dismiss unfaithful Israelites.)

Perhaps to directly answer the question I'd have to ask: are all Israelites/Jews going to be saved at the end of world just by benefit of their genes? What about people who are 1/2 Israeli?

It seems clear (well to me) that Paul is speaking about those who have been faithful to the ways and Word of God.

A closing question: Since the ushering in of the New Covenant, can anyone receive salvation apart from faith in Jesus Christ?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't this thread directed at dispy's? Why are so many non posting?

7. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Fair enough, a question in reply: since the New Covenant is any saved by any other means that explicit faith in Jesus Christ?

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

There is no such thing as a "new" Israel.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. The tribulation is a time for the Jews specifically in which God will turn their hearts to Jesus, the Messiah they rejected.

10. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

So no one else will be saved during the Tribulation?

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As many have offered...the basic dispensational ideas have been partially cast off.It is a bit unstable.
    Another issue is they are looking to re-create what already existed in the first century.The temple,sacrifices,etc.
    Israel is still under God;s judgement...yes..

43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, and this is how they will be saved when the abomination that causes desolation takes place half way through Jacobs Trouble. They will turn to the one they pierced.

13. A Faithful Sidekick

A Faithful Sidekick New Member

Obviously you didn't read the rest of the post you responded to. If the Temple is rebuilt and animal sacrifices resume, will God accept those sacrifices in lieu of the blood of Christ?!? I can think of nothing that would be more offensive to the Lamb of God, than to preside over animal sacrifices as though His own sacrifice was insufficient to wash away sins.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "65 million American Evangelical cultists" is why.

[edit to add] Christian Zionism: The new heresy that sways America (2004)

"Estimates as to the size of the movement as a whole vary considerably. While critics like Crowley claim, ‘At least one out of every 10 Americans is a devotee’, that is between ‘25 to 30 million’, Christian Zionists such as Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell claim weekly access to 100 million sympathetic Americans.[4] What ever the true figure, all are agreed, that number that is growing in size and influence.[5] They are led by 80,000 fundamentalist pastors and clergy, their views disseminated by 1,000 local Christian radio stations as well as 100 Christian TV stations.[6] Doug Kreiger lists over 250 pro-Israeli organisations founded in the 1980s alone.[7]"

#74 kyredneck, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  15. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, I don't hate covenants, the Bible has them. What I'm saying is the Bible doesn't teach the covenants (grace, works, redemption) that covenant theology uses as a base of operations. If there are such covenants, Jehovah in His wisedom has not put that information in His Word which makes their existance pure speculation on the part of theologians. Over the past year I have posted many times the challange to show said reformed covenants with little response. I search the puritanboard and even they cannot satisfy the question from a Biblical perspective, they have to rely on the historical creeds and writings of the reformers.

By your own admission, theology is fluid. If that is the case then why do I not see you defending dispies who are subject to a never ending stream of criticism from the reformed crowd in threads like this one where the claim is that dispies have painted themselves into a supposed corner and that Bock's Progressive scheme is way different than Scofield's classic scheme, a claim this is based more on shouting by the fans of replacement theology rather than Biblical texts?

My reading Schreiner in a purely Baptist context such as in Believers Baptism (NAC- Holman Academic) compared to his NT Theology one gets the impression that he has trouble sleeping at night and probably keeps Walter Kaiser Jr on speed dial. Don't get me wrong, he is a great writer and deep thinker, but....

And, I will state plainly to you Tim that I get the nagging feeling the New Covenant Theology is an attempt by those who have difficulties seeing the big 3 covenants (works/redemption/grace) in the Bible but for the sake of their academic reputation and personal comfort level among the brethern don't want to be associated with us dispy rubes. Sorry if I offend you my brother but there it is.

By the way, I subscribe to The Journal of Dispensational Theology and enjoy reading it. That and BibSac. If you have articles in either I would be interested in reading them.

16. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are the covenants to which I was referring. I have to admit, I have a hard time finding a biblical basis for those theological covenants. As far as the biblical covenants go, I base much of my biblical theology and redemptive history on them. So I call myself covenantal, but it needs to be qualified for some.

I have a hard time defending dispies when they still think of us believing "replacement theology". And Bock's scheme is way different than Scofield's. Reading Bock and the other PDs demonstrate as much.

Baptist does not equal dispensational. That is a misunderstanding.

That is exactly what New covenant theology is as far as the theological covenants you mentioned. But it has nothing to do with avoiding dispensationalism b/c the NCC theologians don't adhere to dispensational teachings either. NCC is to Covenant Theology as Progressive Dispensationalism is to Classic Dispensationalism (or revised for that matter).

I have non in BSac. That is a hard journal to get something published in. They have a long waiting list. And with my theological shift, I am ashamed of the articles I did write for the JODT. That said, one of my articles mentions Bock in the title (it is all about PDism). But you have to understand, I was a fundamentalist back then and the uber-dispensationalist. I probably was not as well researched as I could have been, nor was I as gracious as I should have been. If you can find my first article, then you'll be able to find my second one. I have another article published in Conspectus, the journal for South African Theological Seminary. It's about Ruth, so I'm not so ashamed of that one.

#76 Greektim, Aug 2, 2012
  17. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the sacrifices are not intended to atone for sins? Is that a possibility? Did you know that during the last supper, Jesus and the apostles ate meat that was processed at the temple? And what exactly was Paul doing in Jerusalem Acts ch. 21?

If the Bible teaches that there is going to be another temple with animal sacrifices then, guess what, there is going to be another temple with animal sacrifices your protests not withstanding.

18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tim, I appreciate your candid response.
    Tom

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally the opposite:

.... Let there be no fruit from thee henceforward for ever....Mt 21:19

21 And a strong angel took up a stone as it were a great millstone and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with a mighty fall shall Babylon, the great city, be cast down, and shall be found no more at all.
    22 And the voice of harpers and minstrels and flute-players and trumpeters shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft, shall be found any more at all in thee; and the voice of a mill shall be heard no more at all in thee;
    23 and the light of a lamp shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the princes of the earth; for with thy sorcery were all the nations deceived.
    24 And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all that have been slain upon the earth. Rev 18

#79 kyredneck, Aug 2, 2012
  20. mandym

mandym New Member

Just because Israel goes back to the sacrificial system does not mean that God endorses it. That is a strawman argument that no one is making. (More false representations by cals). Israel, not having accepted Yeshua, will go back to the sacrificial system until they do.