1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Display of Flags in Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Aug 16, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe this pretty well sums it up. In the long run, flag or no flag won't make any difference.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

People are dying and going to hell and folks in the church seem more concerned about the placement of a flag, singing the Star Spangled Banner, what temp the thermostat is set on, whether one believes in limited atonement or not, and especially if the sisters are swishing their hips to a contemporary beat.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We must think theologically about all things we do. We can't do whatever we want in corporate worship because people are dying and going to hell.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It seems like you answered the question "How do you get into the mood to worship?" I didn't ask that. I asked "Can you worship if you're not in the mood?"

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I can't worship if my eyes aren't on Him.

6. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

I don't think the flag or symbol of any political entity or any political party should be placed in a location where we gather to worship God.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We thank God for the freedoms of America, but this is not "God's Country" anymore than modern secular Israel is akin to the OT theocracy of the same name.

We do not display flags nor sing patriotic ditties (worshiping American instead of worshiping God).

(And as an unreconstructed rebel, we would never allow the yankeescum song "Battle Hymn of the Republic" to be sung)

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen and Amen! No Battle Hymn for me either.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Patriotism is derived from the Latin word fatherhood. So it could be argued that patriotism is love of our earthly father, or the land that fathered us. No one has argued that America is God's country. Nations rise and fall by the will of God, and it is not a matter of loving either God or our country. We can do both as long as we have our priorities straight. IMO.

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

LINK

1. patria - one’s native land or country
    From patrius (“of or pertaining to a father”),