1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dissect this Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 8, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Actually, Steve, though I'm sure you meant this tongue-in-cheek, you raise an important issue, and one that deserves some attention!

It is "weirdness" that seems to be the common denominator in church life, but not for the reasons you might assume. When the very people of any given community see a particular church as "weird" then why would they express any interest in that congregation? That is a basic concept of church growth (and yes, I know that term is now seen in somewhat a pejorative sense), i.e., that people are most comfortable in social settings when they match the setting. That concept has driven much of the "purpose-driven" church model as well as the "seeker driven" and "seeker sensitive" models of church growth and there is some validity to the idea.

The question, however, is what defines "weirdness?"

Church A
    Is it church A that dresses in a 1960 style, plays music written in the middle 1800s on an organ that is only heard in common society at ball games, in a musical style last heard in common society in 1900, using language from the 1600s, and desiring to reach a people that no longer exist?

Church B
    Or is it church B that wears common clothing (and places no great stipulation on a particular style of dress), plays a musical style that sounds similar to that heard in everyday life, uses language from today's world, and ministers to real people with real needs?

To a "church goer" with a life-long affiliation with the first style, the second example is "weird."

To a man on the street who has never attended church before, the first example is "weird."

Now, one must decide whom they are attempting to reach -- church goers or lost people living around the campus?

Next, one might consider which congregation is actually "growing" (and by that I don't mean the cop out that most pastors of dead churches use often, i.e., "We are not growing in numbers but we are growing spiritually..."). Is it church A or church B? While a handful of churches that might be categorized as "Church A" may be growing, about 80+ % of them are actually not growing and are in fact shrinking and closing their doors on a regular basis. Meanwhile, churches in the B category are growing rapidly, ministering to a people group that exists in this age (instead of looking back over their shoulders to the "glory days" of the church) and are turning the tide of church closures in America and elsewhere.

EVERY church (congregation) has a particular culture. Not every church has a particular culture that is mired in the 1950s, nor is there any express reason for any congregation to remain mired in the 1950s (or pick an era), and the primary reason that so many do is simply that they are "most comfortable" with that particular style because that is what they identify when they think "church."

Again, that is perfectly fine! But then go out and find THAT age demographic and social strata and build THAT church. Don't pretend that you will, with church model A, be "relevant" to anyone younger than 50. Is not going to happen.

And, finally, with these thoughts in mind, why not build a church that purposefully ministers to aging people? Sure, the membership would turn over a lot as people pass on, but what a great opportunity to reach an un-reached people group! Fill it to overflowing with others who wish to minister to that age and social demographic, use the styles and culture that remind them of church, and grow, for "healthy things grow" and the Lord Himself told us that we should "grow" His kingdom and His church.

Worth some thought...

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It only seems out of control... Actually, under the surface, our congregation is more in control than many a traditional church. We ACTUALLY implement church discipline and have adequate pastoral staff to minister to our people.

Don't make the error of seeing surface culture as good or bad, and equate that with church or secular. Culture is one thing, church is another. And, every church has a culture, but which?

We have "life" and "life" often seems a tad chaotic at first glance. :laugh:

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF, My church is much like the one you described. We run around 20 or so and most of the congregation is old enough to be our grandparents. I've learned a few things from those older folks even though our ages are so far apart. My kids were the only ones in the church when God called us here. We sing the old hymns which I play on the piano (they needed a pianist.) I don't know WHY God called my dh to pastor in this place, but He did. We're blooming where planted.

It may be that God will use this church to change YOU in ways you don't realize. Don't let the musical style and age group distract you if God wants you to worship with these other believers.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Isn't church about developing relationships?"

With God and the rest will come as that one works out properly.

"So if I cant do that, whats the sense of going."

Probably none since you already have made up your mind you can't.

I wouldn't get so down on old folks till you been there done that, lots of reasons they might be the way they are without being the way you paint them.

Amazing how well you "know" the group after so few visits. Kind of like me rattling the cage "knowing" you as well as I don't :)

Lots of good points in the thread.

I've always been an advocate of attending a church for what I can add to it, not so much how much I like it, feel about it, or dislike it. Emphasis, as you know, the prayer/Lord's leading. Trust He does that soon.

#24 exscentric, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Good Advice :thumbsup: Might I add that the church isn't "dying" if the Lord is leading you there, If he has led you and your family there he will lead others. With all you've been through to find a church, he wouldn't take you there just to have them close the doors a few months later. Get in, get to know folks, learn from them, and roll your sleeves up buddy and get to work.

"'Tis all my business here below
    The precious gospel seed to sow."

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/plough.htm

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::applause::applause::thumbs:

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has been in the same spot for over 200 years, bro. Except for a few portions, the woodwork is still the original woodwork. if you go to the back there's a cemetery where those buried are by majority former members and some have the early 1800's in their tombstones.

When we joined the church there were regularly over 30 or so attendees, 5 of them have moved to other states since, 8 have gone home to glory, and when I pastored for two years the number of attendees would expand and shrink like an accordion.

Currently, we have about 20 regular attendees, and the ages are getting younger.
    My point is that given the years, the church should have already "died" out, but the Lord isn't done with that church yet, so there it is, and that's what makes it exciting for me, not knowing what the Lord will do.
    You know what the Lord said: My thoughts are not your thoughts....

A young family used to go and attend church over at Churchville, Maryland, about 50 miles north, because they had more young people there (but I think it's really because they don't like a certain preacher. lol.) and now they're back regularly attending, and sometimes we actually have kids, KIDS, playing on the swing and running in the woods chasing each other. Howja like that ? lol.:laugh:

Don't worry about the numbers, and don't worry about the ages, just be the "baby brother" there like you said and sing with them, pray with them, worship with them, preach with them, and let the Lord of the church be the Lord of the church.

#27 pinoybaptist, Aug 9, 2011
  8. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I'm with you Pinoy, My home church was organized in 1820. Our numbers have been up they have been down. We currently have 32 members but have over 200 people attend on our regular monthly meeting. God needs us where he puts us. I will continue to pray for you.

Peace and prayers

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

All of that is commendable, but what of the teaming masses who are just outside your doors that remain un-reached?

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF,
    You've been praying to find a reformed baptist church for a while. God has brought you into contact with one. Maybe that's the best place to start. Let God do His perfect work in you both, at least for the time being. Hang in there with them.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean, Christ missed a lot of souls He shed His blood for ? I don't think so.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No, neither do I, but did He not call US to harvest them? That seems to imply some action on our part, so that He can do what only He can do.

The missio dei in Scripture is very real, and throughout the text from OT to NT. God desires to harvest His elect and gives us a certain task in so doing.

"I [Paul] planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase."

"Go ye therefore into all the world..."

"And you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the world..."

"I will build My church..." and "I wil give you the keys..."

#32 glfredrick, Aug 9, 2011
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us here believe in Grace leading to Salvation......those that understand the DoG theology believe that in salvation, God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.....& this is true through every step. Long before we could choose for God, the Father chose us in Christ. When we were unable to remove our guilt, The Son died for our sins. And when we could not come to God in faith, the spirit drew us. The DoG thus requires the sinner to accept Gods sovereignty in salvation. Therefore we are all committed to lives of prayer. But there is the standing argument by some that there is nothing we can do to change what He has planned for all eternity..... then why should we pray?

I assure you that as Christians & Baptist's we all pray .....Its God's will that will be done. ALL BAPTISTS believe in preaching the gospel to sinners. In addition, ALL BAPTISTS call upon men to repent and believe.

When I went to this Reformed Baptist Church on Sunday, an elder asked me where I lived & when he heard my town he suggested a closer OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church) saying that some folks from their Baptist church had transfered to the OPC Church. My answer to him was that those transferred folks could not have been serious about being Baptists then & I think he understood. As much as we all argue finer theological prospectives, we are all Baptist & Praise God for that.

I thank all the brethren &(sisteren) for your input & commentary...God Bless you all.

#33 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 9, 2011
  14. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, He did not call us to harvest them.
    He called His apostles to the harvest, were you one of the Apostles He addressed ?
    All these scriptures you quoted was addressed to His apostles, save maybe one.
    I do not understand for the life of me why so many in Christendom feel that
    the Savior needs their help for Him to successfully do what He set out to do and what the Father sent Him to do, or why they take Scripture out of context and say these Scriptures concern them.
    He has gone up the cross, He has shed His blood, He has given up the ghost, He has taken up His life again, He went up to Heaven, and He is now seated a victorious, successful Redeemer and Shepherd who has recovered everyone of His lost sheep.
    His redemption of His people is over.
    If it pleases Him to bring one of His own into the folds of a church He will do it, no help from us, thank you.
    If He does then we are charged to care for that sheep.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, now I'm confused. Paul didn't get converted until after Jesus' death; yet he was used to bring the word to so many, and saw many conversions. But if I understand what you wrote here, Jesus didn't need Paul. So what's the point of the bible even mentioning Paul, much less containing so many letters written by him?

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Your theology sounds so pious, until you find it's totally unscriptural.

Those of us who feel and know it is our duty to reach the lost? Blessed to be a part of it.

His redemption of people is not over. Tell me, did it stop with you?

"If He pleases to bring one into His fold?" I thought He stopped doing that?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you guys are not implying that Primitive Baptists do not believe in preaching the gospel to sinners, because they do. The only people in the world interested in the gospel of grace are poor, needy sinners. A man must be made sensible of his sin by the Spirit, must be born again to receive the gospel message (Luke 5: 31, 32; I Cor. 2: 14). The gospel is not addressed to the dead alien sinner who could & would not understand it if you force fed it to him but to the burdened sinner (Matt. 11: 28-30). Thats how they interpret scripture & I agree with that interpretation.

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:confused:

Who's "implying" anything at all? The proof is above, and make certain you see what is said and don't imply anything yourself.

It's plain to see what was said. I won't defend remarks like this, even if "their label" is "my label." It's totally unscriptural.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave a blanket stance that PB's uphold nothing more. That stance is one I personally use when speaking to anyone about Christ. One cannot convince anyone who doesnt have a burden to learn about the lord. Still I do bring up the Lord to anyone who will listen because I dont know if there one of the Elect who are stumbling along or not.

A friend of my sons comes to my house yesterday & he is burdened by the loss of his best friend who on Monday night died of an anurism (Age 24). This kid is obviously distraught so we talk & we talk about God & what this boy thinks....do I tell him my prospective on salvation...YES. Do I tell him what RC's believe (both this boy & his dead friend are RC's) ...why yes I do. Does it sink in....got no Idea. But I speak to them about Christ....you bet you since I dont know if this boy understands how Christ could be working in his life.....but after that its up to him.

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

We should probably not turn this thread into another debate about PB and their practice, but the typical size and number of PB congregations seems to indicate one of their founding principles -- an anti-missionary stance.

While I applaud (loudly!) the stance of PB on many issues, their stance on "building the church" and "extending the kingdom" is one area where I have reservations and differences.

That is not to say, in any means, that our brothers and sisters are not evangelistic in any sense, but it does say that they do not tend to start new congregations, build large congregations, or venture widely into the mission field. If there is a fault, it is perhaps that they have taken the sovereignty of God a step beyond what God Himself told us in the word, to be about building His kingdom, as exemplified personally by Jesus Himself (not just in the words of the Great Commission) by the sending of the 70 house to house, by His traveling widely across the land, even into the region of the Decapolis (Greek worldview) and Samaria (despised people). Jesus set the example for missionary activity and included His followers in that activity, hence one of the reasons for wide-ranging mission activity in His church down through the ages.

I have also pointed out to you privately that though the PB and SBC were founded at roughly the same time, concerning roughly the same issue (missions) the SBC now has over 43,000 churches in every state and a world-wide mission that has close to 5,000 supported missionaries in people groups all over the world and saw over 360,000 baptisms and has over 163,000 churches outside the boundaries of the USA (2010 numbers) while the PB have roughly 72,000 members in about 1000 congregations worldwide.

The top 3 SBC congregations outnumber the total number of Primitive Baptists, which is (again) not to say anything bad about PB, nor to say that sheer numbers is the only criterion, but only to point out that their stated doctrine is not favorable to their continued existence.