1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diversity of Opinion

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by J.D., Jul 3, 2006.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was browsing around this forum (music) out of boredom because the BB is really slow today. I noticed that there is very little variety of opinions about music here. I wonder if a lot of traditionalists like myself are just so tired of being called judgemental and stupid and legalists and such things that they just don't post any more, if they ever did.

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

JD,

I am not sure the reasons for the lack of discussions, it could be that many of the "traditionalist" kill many of the threads by being judgmental. BTW--I have never seen you do this. There is nothing wrong with preferring traditional music, the problem is when those who are traditional say things like CCM is of the devil, its fleshly, it has the devil's beat. Music style has much more to do with preference than any biblical standard. How do you discuss a topic with someone who believes a certain beat is from Satan and thus anyone who is listening to that beat is being led by Satan?

Bro Tony

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

That certainly could be the case, but as I was looking around today I got the impression that it's cutting the other way now. I see pro-CCM people sporting and prancing about, and what little traditionalist input there is, is sheepish. Or am I mis-perceiving it?

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

It seems to me that most of the regulars are tired of the CCM vs Hymns debate. Most of the threads started here end up in debate over the issue. Everyone knows everyone else's opinion and have debated till their blue in the face. Many have agreed to disagree.

Now where are those sporting and prancing CCM'ers?

5. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Wow, that was kind of random.

Nobody will get mad at ya Josh. But you do re-inforce what I was saying. Most threads will turn into a debate, regardless of what the OP is about.

Post away :type:

7. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

You said people are sick of CCM vs Hymns, why is that even an issue?

8. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Josh -

Thank you for the link.

9. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Your preference is fine. It does not mean its right. It is because of ignorant articles like that which you have posted, that have no biblical basis, but are put forth as Scripture that most have left this forum. The false man-made doctrines against any music that is not "traditional", plus the false man-made doctrine of KJVOism by the site you quote helps us all to see that you have no biblical credibility. Those who make their preferences in either music or Bible version doctrine for all "true" believers are the legalist that Jesus stood against in His time. Can anyone say Pharisee?

Bro Tony

10. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I certainly won't be mad with ya :D I'm standing right beside ya being 100% against it as well! :thumbs:

11. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Bro Tony -

The article seemed to have a lot of Scripture in it. I actually learned a couple of things I hadn't thought of before, because of the Scripture used by the author. I'm not going to run home and burn all my CDs now, but, I will start being a bit more careful about what I consider christian.

12. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yep, I agree.

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Blammo,

We all should walk in biblical discernment in all things. We must follow the leadership of the Spirit with the Word as our guide. Again, there is no Scripture that condemns CCM, and all Scripture used to do so is always used as a pretext and used with the bias of the interpreter. This is why I think expository preaching is so much more effective than topical. People have a preference and assume their preference must be God's preference, so they go picking through the Bible to prove their preference is biblical. Unfortunately, more times then not, the Scriptures they use have nothing directly to say about their preference except in the mind of the reader, because they have taken it completely out of context.

Again, I want to be clear. I have no problem with those who chose traditional music only or a specific version of the Bible only. Just dont presume to tell everyone else that your preference is God's preference, when God never said such. Jeremiah condemned the false prophets of his day when he said, "they say 'thus says the Lord', and the Lord has no spoken".

Bro Tony

14. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Well said. That, in fact, is the most important thing I learned from the article.

Not that I have seen, and I'm sure if there was we would not be discussing this anymore.

Yep, a lot of opinion sneaks into topical sermons.

I think you and I agree on this more than you know.

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I think you and I agree on this more than you know.

I think we do too brother, as I have read many of your posts:thumbs: .

Bro Tony

16. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

#16 jch-singer, Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

The test is meaningless and proves nothing concerning style of music. There are poor CCM songs and poor "traditional" songs. The style issue remains what the OP states "a matter of opinion".

No one is going to be mad at you, but if you insist that these websites and their opinions equate to biblical truth, many in here will cease to take anything you say seriously.

Bro Tony

18. Gib

Gib Active Member

I said, It seems to me that most of the regulars (members who have debated the issue many times) are tired (not sick :tongue3: ) of the CCM vs Hymns debate.

19. jch-singer

jch-singer New Member

My bad, sorry!:type:

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

JD, in your OP you state,

You and I disagree on some of these issues, but I would come to your defense if you were labeled "stupid" or the like. Sorry I missed the chance to do so, if it happened.

JCH, I'm sure you feel passionately about the issue of "CCM versus hymns." I don't like the label, because I have a few concerns about how the debate is viewed:
    -Not all music that is listened to is appropriate for worship. "She'll be coming around the mountain" is a cute little song, but we don't sing it in worship. Just because a song is neat, catchy, fun, good, etc., doesn't mean it fits the criteria for corporate worship. Not all CCM (or gospel, southern gospel, etc.) is appropriate for corporate worship, and that distinction is important.
    -Many of us use all kinds of music--ancient, modern, and old-time. In one thirty-minute period, I've used music from three milleniums--stuff written in 300 AD ("Of the Father's Love Begotten"), 1900 ("Be Thou My Vision"), and 2003 ("King of Majesty"). I put strong criteria against any music we use. It must be theologically sound. It must point others to God and His truth. We strive at my church to honor God in old, new, and ancient ways.
    -AV1611.org is a site that uses less-than-honest means to prove its points. It quotes completely discredited "science," repeats disproven slanderous statements, and engages in character assassination of folks it finds harmful. The site is not a good representative of traditional views--it is willing to be dishonest to prove a point. Not a good thing.
    -I have seen God use what we do in powerful ways. We bathe our approach, our worship, our leaders, and our ministries in prayer. God is blessing us richly as souls are being saved, discipled, and sent.
    -I will defend loudly and proudly a church's preference of music. I do believe in local church autonomy, and will gladly stand by any church that has a strictly traditional approach. God bless ya'll. My approach is different, but I know God is also blessing us as well. There's room for both, in my book.
    -There is some pretty bad CCM out there--stuff with bad theology, or with performers with questionable lifestyles, or that are out there for personal or financial gain--just like there are IFB, SBC, etc., preachers out there that are pure hucksters. I don't evaluate the whole based on one. I try to be discerning based on the message of the lyrics, and the lifestyle of the presenter (just as I do with a sermon!). Not all CCM is good. Not all hymns are good. Not all kazoo, zydeco, polka, or venetian waltz music is good. (OK, NO kazoo music is good. But that's another thread).
    -I don't get mad at folks that don't like CCM. If that's your preference, then I'm fine with it. I actually enjoy talking with folks that don't like it, and going to the Word and discussing the matter. In fact, there are several folks on this board who dislike CCM a great deal whom I am friends with. We just see differently on this issue (to some degree).

God's best to all of you and your ministries,

RBell