1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divine Illumination/ Divine Enablement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK
    He has been quite honest

do you notice everyone is telling you the same thing:thumbs:

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

are you sure DHK?

So...God was addressing the "nation" of Israel..... look what Jesus said here;

43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof
    :thumbs:
    that does look like the gentiles eehhh:thumbs:
    and then it was taken from them and given to the Israel of God

The new covenant is happening now.The church is the focus now.

Yes I am in the Covenant by God's grace.

Hey DHK...we have a new address;

22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Dead wrong again my dispy friend,lol
    I know where you are coming from...looks like others have noticed also:thumbs:

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To others...not named DHK who enjoy this topic;

Greek: pephotismenous (RPPMPA) tous ophthalmous tes kardias [humon] eis to eidenai (RAN) humas tis estin (PAI) e elpis tes kleseos autou, tis o ploutos tes doxes tes kleronomias autou en tois hagiois,
    Amplified: By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set-apart ones), (Amplified Bible - Lockman)
    NLT: I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the wonderful future He has promised to those He called. I want you to realize what a rich and glorious inheritance He has given to his people. (NLT - Tyndale House)
    Phillips: that you may receive that inner illumination of the spirit which will make you realise how great is the hope to which He is calling you - the magnificence and splendour of the inheritance promised to Christians - (Phillips: Touchstone)
    Wuest: the eyes of your heart being in an enlightened state with a view to your knowing what is the hope of His calling, what is the wealth of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, (Eerdmans)
    Young's Literal: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened, for your knowing what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    from various commentaries;

I PRAY THAT THE EYES OF YOUR HEART MAY BE ENLIGHTENED: pephotismenous (RPPMPA) tous ophthalmous tes kardias [humon] : (1Peter 5:8; Psalms 119:18; Isaiah 6:10; 29:10,18; 32:3; 42:7; Matthew 13:15; Luke 24:45; Acts 16:14; 26:18; 2Corinthians 4:4,6; Hebrews 10:32)

SPIRITUAL EYES

MacDonald - We have seen that the source of spiritual illumination is God; the channel is the Holy Spirit; and the supreme subject is the full knowledge of God. Now we come to the organs of enlightenment: the eyes of your hearts (NKJV margin ) being enlightened. (Believer's Bible Commentary)

Those for whom Paul is praying were once "spiritually blind" walking around in "spiritual darkness" as he reminded them of later writing that "you were formerly darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (Eph 5:8-note)

Wiersbe - In the prison prayers of Paul (Eph. 1:15–23; 3:14–21; Phil. 1:9–11; Col. 1:9–12), we discover the blessings he wanted his converts to enjoy. In none of these prayers does Paul request material things. His emphasis is on spiritual perception and real Christian character. He does not ask God to give them what they do not have, but rather prays that God will reveal to them what they already have.
    Lawrence Richards has a pithy comment stating that "One way to build our own prayer lives, and to direct our intercession for others, is to model our prayers on those found in Scripture. Here we see a prayer Paul offered with the intention of strengthening Christ’s church. What did Paul ask? That we might know God better (Ep 1:17). That we might look beyond appearances, to see the church as God does—a people transformed to display His glory, unspeakably precious to Him (Ep 1:18). That we might sense and experience the working of “His incomparably great power for us who believe” (Ep 1:19a). I suppose it’s all right to pray for that addition to a new Sunday School wing. Or the funds to go on the radio. But if we want our church to truly be the church, the things Paul prayed for here are vastly more important. (Richards, L. The 365 Day Devotional Commentary. Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books)

Eyes (3788) (ophthalmos) is literally the organ of vision but in Paul's use is obviously figurative. It is a beautiful picture, the heart being regarded as having eyes looking out toward God and all of the spiritual blessings that have their source and supply in God's Beloved Son. Proper understanding of spiritual truth is not dependent on having a keen intellect but rather a tender heart! Is your heart tender to the Word of God? Do you hunger and thirst for God as a deer does for the water brooks?

Paul is praying for a deeper spiritual understanding, that "Ah Ha" reaction we have when we begin to really understand something and exclaim "I see it! I finally see what you’re telling me, Lord!" That's what Paul is praying for here. Why? Why would he be praying for this "Ah Ha" enlightenment? Remember that the first three chapters are doctrine but the last three begin with how we are to walk. Paul knows that as a man thinks in his heart, his spiritual interior, will determine how he walks. And so he prays that these saints might be able to grasp the breadth and length and height and depth of the great truths in this chapter, so that they might be enabled by the indwelling Spirit and the riches of God's grace to order their steps in a manner which is pleasing to the Lord.

The psalmist understood that the supernatural Word of God was unlike any writing of man and thus pleaded with God to...

Open (Hebrew galah = Piel stem always denotes "to uncover" something which otherwise is normally concealed. LXX translates with apokalupto from apó = from + kalúpto = cover, conceal which means literally to uncover and so to remove the veil or covering exposing to open view what was before hidden.

The Greek tense is aorist imperative which speaks in context of a request in the form of a command and speaks of urgency and need) my eyes, that I may behold (careful, sustained, and favorable contemplation - LXX translates with katanoeo from kata = down + noeo is literally to the the mind down on and speaks of giving very careful consideration to some matter, think about very carefully, consider closely. observe fully, consider attentively denotes action of mind apprehending certain facts about a thing) wonderful (amazing, astounding, marvelous, extraordinary or even difficult - things beyond human capability) things from Thy law. (Psalm 119:18) (Comment: When you open your Bible, ask the Author to open your heart)

Heart (2588) (kardia [word study]) is not the literal organ that circulates ancients considered the heart the center of knowledge, understanding, thinking, wisdom. The heart the seat of the mind and will, and it could be taught what the brain could never know. The "heart" in Scripture speaks of the very center and core of one's life, the seat of thought and moral judgment.
    The heart is the seat of emotions in some cultures, but in the Greek culture it was not. In the Greek culture the seat of emotions would be the intestines. The heart was the seat of understanding.

This deep, interior enlightenment is undoubtedly the result of the work of the Holy Spirit Who leads the believer to know (eido) intuitively all that God has made available to him in Christ, and in essence to come to understand what it means to be "in Christ" or "in Him". They knew to a degree what the concept of being "in Christ" meant but not in a deep intuitive way. That is what Paul desires for them and for all believers.

Paul prayed that believers would know the three things mentioned not in their head but in their hearts, the very essence of their being. When we know them in the head and not the heart, we are simply "smarter sinners" but when we know them in our heart, we will become more like our Savior.

Note that the KJV translated from the Greek Textus Receptus (the is from the Nestle-Aland Greek) does not have "heart" (kardia) but has the word "understanding" which is the noun dianoia an old word for the faculty of understanding. It speaks of a clarity of mind or understanding by which one is able to see things intelligibly and clearly and proceed accordingly. Virtually all the authorities agree that "heart" is the correct translation.

#84 Iconoclast, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thanks Brother,

However, squirrels are pretty ingenuous but then DHK is not a squirrel!:thumbs::laugh::laugh::thumbs:

6. OldRegular

Wonderful Scripture. i rejoice every time I read these! But the Scripture tells us:

1 Corinthians 2:9. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...Paul quoted from isa64...

64 Oh that thou wouldest rend the heavens, that thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at thy presence,

2 As when the melting fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence!

3 When thou didst terrible things which we looked not for, thou camest down, the mountains flowed down at thy presence.

4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved.

6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Then Paul walks us through the next step...by Divine illumination in 1 cor 2 which DHk and our buddy steaver avoids

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God:laugh::applause::thumbsup:

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Take a deep breath OR, and then take another.
    I answered part of your post, as much as I could before I went to church. (Besides I was under no obligation to answer it all). Either way, that does not make me "disingenuous," as you say. Why the derogatory language? I answered part of your post and you angrily post this.
    What are my motives?
    I clarified my position. What are you talking about? Am I missing something here OR? I responded to half a dozen references that I posted, and that you falsely accused me of only partially quoting the verses. I restated what I originally posted for you. What are you attacking me for?

As for the rest of your post let's look at it.
    The truth is that were it not for the GRACE of God no one would be saved.

The thread is about "divine illumination." Anyone can copy and paste scripture--even my small grandchildren. The scripture remains meaningless until someone gives it meaning. Thus your constant copy and paste method is quite meaningless. This thread on "illumination" becomes even more relevant.

I like the scripture you posted. I agree with the scripture 100%. I believe all the Bible. But I don't believe your interpretation of it. So copy and paste away.
    You can make dogmatic statements and huff and puff, but with no Biblical exposition, you have made no points whatseover.

Next point:
    Of course the sheep believe. We all agree on that.
    Again, nice copy and paste. I always agree with Scripture.

Next point:
    Another lame copy and paste. At least you attempted to comment on one of the verses. On second that you just regurgitated the same words over again.

The sum of what you said is here:

Really! Quite lame and childish answer. The Bible says quite a bit more than this.
    Salvation is in Christ alone, through grace alone, by faith alone.

Without faith in Christ, your "only grace" is vain and empty.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

11. OldRegular

That statement from your post #88, DHK, is the most ridiculous statement that I have ever heard. I cannot believe a Christian would make such a statement. In trying to belittle me you have unveiled the real DHK.

Is that the result of your Roman Catholic upbringing? I have heard they believe only what they are told to believe. At one time the Roman Catholics would execute anyone outside the priesthood who posessed a Bible.

#91 OldRegular, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  12. OldRegular

DHK,

You need to learn to use the "quote" feature correctly. In your post #88 you have the following:

Apparently you do not believe my claim in post #73 that
    I sure would not want anyone to think you believe that truth.

The above quote should read{from my post #73}:

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I meant every word of it. Posting scripture without giving the meaning is meaningless. That is why preachers simply don't read the scriptures and then dismiss everyone. They expound them, explain what they mean, give the sense, etc.
    But you simply copy and paste, copy and paste, often without any comment. It is meaningless.

Here is a good passage of Scripture. I will post it without the reference so you can comment on it for me. Give the meaning of it for me.

"...northward four a day, southward four a day, and toward Asuppim two and two. At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar."
    --How meaningful is this to you?

Let's look at a more practical example:
    Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose;...
    Nehemiah 8:5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up:
    Nehemiah 8:7 ... caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.
    Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Nehemiah 8:11 So the Levites stilled all the people, saying, Hold your peace, for the day is holy; neither be ye grieved.
    12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

Ezra did not just read the scriptures. He caused the people to understand. He "gave the sense" (exegesis). He expounded upon them. He told them what it meant.
    They went away with great joy because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

A copy and paste of scripture is meaningless unless meaning is attached to it.
    We all agree with the Scripture. I agree with every scripture you post. So what is your point? We both have the "same Bibles." But unless you give "your meaning, the sense, the understanding," it remains meaningless.

I agree with every verse in Ephesians chapter one. It is a tremendous chapter. And if you do a search you will find that I went through that chapter (most of it) verse by verse, giving the meaning of each verse, demonstrating that it does not mean what the Calvinists declare it to mean.
    Therefore a simple copy and paste of the chapter by you doesn't prove anything.

This is a very telling post here.
    The entire thread is about divine illumination and enablement.
    Notice how God gave to Ezra the power to declare to the Israelites the sense and understanding of the Scriptures.

But you copy and paste scripture without any comment. Perhaps you don't have any illumination? I will let you decide that personally. A person posting scripture should be able to "enlighten" the rest of us as to what the scripture means.

One more practical example.
    What is your view on the atonement? (You don't have to say right now).
    There is a poster, posting scripture in the Other Denom. Forum.
    But the scripture he is posting, he is posting in defense of the "Christus Victor" view of the atonement, which IMO is heretical.

Scripture posted without meaning remains meaningless.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is very kind of you, isn't it. Do you have any more dirt you want to throw around?

Salvation is in Christ alone, through grace alone, by faith alone.
    Understand?

15. OldRegular

Just goes to show how consumed you are with bitterness DHK. I try to save you the embarrassment of contradicting yourself and you cast stones!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But it is no laughing matter when you state in your post #88:

And then you double down in post #93!

{Emphasis mine.}

I would have you note the following Scripture. I present them without comment since you don't believe anything I say and then complain about it!

2 Timothy 3:16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 14:26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Really DHK if you cannot understand the above Scripture I am sure someone on the Forum will help you out. I would offer but you simply will not believe anything I say. Now if I were a Rapture Ready pre-tribber it might be different.

Of course God gave you the Holy Spirit to help you understand but some folks are stubborn, absolutely will not listen, and sadly drift into error.

#95 OldRegular, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob Ryan, our resident SDA uses the same scripture to back up his posts.
    So what are you trying to say? That because you post those scriptures they validate your post? They don't.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In fact, OR, I have had Muslims use these Scriptures in defense of the coming of Mohammed. They refer to Mohammed as the last prophet, the prophesying of the "Comforter" to come.

This only goes to further my statement that scripture posted without meaning (context) is still meaningless.

18. OldRegular

Perhaps I have a little more respect for the intelligence and Biblical understanding of the people on this forum.

You brag:

It is quite obvious that you do not believe every verse in Ephesians chapter one. It is obvious that you don't believe Ephesians 1:3-7:

3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
    4. According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
    5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
    6. To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
    7. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

God chose us in Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world. That is unconditional election DHK. Do you believe that?

God had "predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,". That is, God had determined before the foundation that we would, through Jesus Christ, be adopted as His children into the family of God. That means God did not have to wait for DHK to exercise his "free will" before He knew what to do! It was simply "according to the good pleasure of his will that one day HE would save DHK in His own time and in His own way.

God "made us accepted in the beloved" who is Jesus Christ; not the exercise of anyones "free will" whereby they make themselves "accepted in the beloved". Not the exercise of your "free will" DHK where you made yourself "accepted in the beloved."

So you see DHK you don't believe all of Ephesians 1. There is more you don't believe but enough for now.

19. OldRegular

There you go again DHK, spouting off meaningless drivel. It is bad enough to reject what I say but to reject what Scripture clearly states, blaming it on Muslims, is downright blasphemous!

I see you are waffling a little on your earlier statement
    by inserting "context"!

SO Rant on DHK! Rant on!

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have never lived in an Islamic nation have you?
    You don't need to refute Islamic doctrine on a regular basis or what is worse the misrepresentation of Christian doctrine to others. I never said anything blasphemous.
    The question is this: How do Muslims use Scripture to defend the coming of Mohammed? I showed you, and you say "I am blaming it on Muslims...downright blasphemous."
    You are being unreasonable and ridiculous.

How do Oneness Pentecostal's use the Scripture to disprove the Trinity?
    How do the SDA use the Scripture to prove the annihilation of the wicked?
    (hint: think "conditional hell")
    How do J.W.'s use the Scripture to deny the deity of Christ?
    --each group does. They give THEIR meaning to the scriptures.
    That doesn't make ME blasphemous--a ridiculous assumption on your part.
    Yes, "context." How does one get the "meaning" of a passage?
    Through: context, word studies, grammatical study, historical setting, who the author is and who the author is writing to, purpose of the book, etc.
    --All of these help to determine the "meaning." Scripture without meaning is meaningless. Context gives a part of the meaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.