1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diving Into Linux... and sinking

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mnw, Apr 29, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Recently I have decided to give linux a try and so far have had little success. My main problem seems to be with the graphics card. It all installs, says something about the graphics not working and then defaults to a dos like setup. I have been using Ubuntu so far.

Is there another version of linux that might be better? Is there a way of getting Ubuntu to work? It is on Dell laptop... about 3 or 4 years old.

I'd appreciate any help.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What graphics chipset is on the laptop?

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have been using Ubuntu and really love it. Lots of help at www.ubuntuforums.org.

I recently tried out the beta of the next Ubuntu, and had some problems, but rather than going back to the Breezy Badger version, decided to try Fedora Core 5. It is what I am on now. It is also very nice, but I think I prefer Ubuntu.

I did have some problems on some older systems with Ubuntu's graphics not working. You also might want to try Linspire or Mandriva. Linspire is the former Lindows, and is very "windows-like". Mandriva is the former Mandrake, and has been known as a newbie-friendly distribution.

4. Magnetic Poles

BTW, I have Ubuntu working on my Dell laptop and it works perfectly. It even found my D-Link wireless network card without using NDIS Wrapper.

5. Magnetic Poles

One more thought...try out some of the live Linux CDs to see if a particular distro will work on your machine before installing to a HDD partition.

6. mnw

mnw New Member

I'm not sure of the chipset, I'll look later. The live CD didn't work for the laptop either so I should have probably learned from that. [​IMG]

7. Magnetic Poles

mnw, Here are some live / install distros to try:

PCLinuxOS
    Slax
    Knoppix
    Mepis

Give those a shot. Also, head over to www.distrowatch.com. Good resource on all the various flavors of Linux out there.

8. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks for the info. However, the laptop has developed a problem with the backlight only working randomly. So, any OS installation is a nightmare at present.

I am going to keep all the info given here and try to get an external harddrive to experiment with... or a cheap pc to hook up to my screen.

9. nate

nate New Member

I am going to run Knoppix and Sante Fe Linux on my new system you may try those my friend uses both and they work great.