1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DivorceCare

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by givengrace, Aug 15, 2008.

1. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Are there any DivorceCare group leaders on this forum?

My husband and I have worked in the DivorceCare ministry at our church and started a second group but soon saw there didn't seem to be the need for two groups. But are now possibly moving to another church in our area to start a new group. I was wanting ideas of how to get the word out. Or any other wise words of encouragement. Thanks

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May God bless you as you make Him known in the lives of these tragic events.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't Know of One, but.....

Don't know of one, but we will pray that you find one, and find it soon. Bless you for you great work. Not that I want to sell you something, but rest assured the royalties are pennies over a dollar. so you may want to take a look at my two books. If there are people in you next group having problems with sexual addiction, Prodigal Daze could be a helpful resource...
    http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977158062http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=2814749771580621l

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

A word of encouragement you might not like as much, but I encourage you to consider it.

Perhaps rather than building your lives around DivorceCare and going about to find a place to do it, build your life around a church and fill the needs at the church. I am sure there are other ministries of the church that you could get involved in. I struggle with the idea that we create a ministry idea and then go search for a church to let us do it. I think the biblical pattern is that ministry flows out of a church.

5. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Actually My husband and I have worked in this area because we care deeply about it. This is where we came from and we want to give back. We have asked our Counseling pastor if there is something we can do in this area or our other group we would like to lead called "Before you Divorce" (trying to STOP Divorce before it happens.) But he doesn't have anything at this time. My husband and I have spoken to our pastors of the church we have served since July of 1999 for me and Jan. 2000 for my husband. And if we are to go to start this new group. They are sending us out or Commissioning us out as Missionaries. So would you treat someone who is lead into missions to just stay at their church and Find somewhere to serve? Or a Pastor who is called into Ministry I guess they to should just ignore Christ calling in there heart. I don't THINK so. That's not what my Bible say's. "GO into the World to make Disciples"

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I echo pastor Larry's advice.

7. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Is that how you arrived at your current ministry position? Just curious.

8. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Well Good for you.

Maybe that why there's people like me and My husband reaching the hurting and lost like Jesus did and your stuck in your old ways.

9. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I Thank You

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

givengrace, don't be discouraged by mis-placed advised. You continue to seek the Lord and He will place you where you are needed.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean "this is where we came from" ? were you both divorced, found each other, and married each other ?

You could at least give a little more background for others to base their comments and advices on.

Given the very little background you gave, Pastor Larry's advice is not misplaced, nor is it fair to subject it to sarcasm (and say "just curious"). After all, as understood by majority of churches of any persuasion, ministries are evolved from churches, not started by a couple and then adopted by a church. At best I think you should be called "guidance counsellors" and what you do does not necessarily have to be called a church ministry.

After all, you said in your first post "But are now possibly moving to another church in our area to start a new group."

Yet in your post number 5 you say that you are being commissioned as missionaries. So, as missionaries, you are to make disciples of those who are already church-members ? Because, remember you said you are moving to another church in your area to start a new group.

And what do you mean "my husband has served since 1999, and me since 2001........" (maybe I didn't quote this verbatim), are you in different churches ? Or do you mean your husband was in this ministry first, and then you joined him in 2000 ?

The initial informations you gave were a little bit disorganized, if I may say so.

#11 pinoybaptist, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Good going and God Bless for trying to serve and be a support to God's people that have been through or going through this awlful experience. :thumbs:

#12 JerryL, Aug 16, 2008
  13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Then perhaps you should be making disciples in another area of ministry.

It depends on the situation. In the NT, I think missions is church planting and making disciples. Marriage counseling is a part of that, but only a part. If someone came to me as you have, I would have some long talks with them about the mission of the church and what it means to make disciples.

I haven't told you to ignore what Christ is calling you to do. I don't know if Christ has called you to do that.

what? I am not following you here. I was faithfully serving in a church as a layman and was asked by another church to fill the pulpit, and then was asked to become pastor.

How do you know that I (or someone else) is not reaching the lost and hurting?

Perhaps you weren't interested in "wise words of encouragement" as your said in your OP, but interested only in affirmation of what you had already decided to do. If so, you should have just said that.

#13 Pastor Larry, Aug 16, 2008
  14. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Goodness Gracious!! I didn't come on here to be interviewed!! Not that I'm hiding anything. And I'll gladly answer ALL your questions. But I just was looking to see if anyone else here were DivorceCare Leaders (which happens to be the name of an organized group that I didn't start but is world wide) www.divorcecare.com Now for your questions.

Yes! my husband and I were both Divorced and met at our current church in which I started July1999 and he came Jan. 2000 we met(at church) and married May 24 2002
    We also Both attended the DivorceCare group that has been meeting every week (probably close to 15 to 16 years.)

That should answer a couple of questions.

And yes if we move to the other church (still a Baptist church same beliefs) Our current church has said they would just commission us out. Because we went through training before serving in D/C (that's divorcecare) which is available to those already in a church (but not only the church in which it done. AND when A LOT of unsaved or un churched people see there NEED for Christ in there life and a point they are willing to turn from there old ways and come to a NEW. And in though instances we are decuple making. I hope this clears things up for you.

But I was really looking for help how to "GET THE WORD OUT" once we move And was looking for a D/C leader. for help.

15. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I wasn't asking for Encouragement from You I was looking for someone who was a DivorceCare Leader here and get encouragement from Them. Because if you haven't been there as a divorced person and a leader of this group. I don't think you truly understand. As I guess I'm getting from you. I won't answer your questions. Because your lace of knowledge in the area I am looking for you are very argumentative and I don't wish to argue.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Your OP doesn't say that. But even at that, isn't it dangerous to only seek opinions from a select group. Sometimes, the best advice can come from those who are outside of a select group because they have a more objective opinion.

Do you really have any way to gauge what I truly understand? If so, how? On what basis do you make this assertion?

How do you know I lack knowledge in this area? How do you know I am not divorced? How do you know I don't lead a ministry to divorced people? How do you know I don't counsel almost divorced people? How do you know enough about me to know what my knowledge is in the area of ministry to divorced/troubled marriages?

Truth is, you don't know any of that do you? You assumed a bunch because I gave an answer you didn't like. And rather than respond with gracious disagreement, you responded to cause some friction.

If you go back and read my original post, I said you probably wouldn't like what I said but I encouraged you to think about it anyway. That's all I asked.

I would encourage you to take a step back and don't respond so negatively to advice you asked for to begin with.

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chill out, lady. Nobody says you were hiding anything.
    Well, not everybody here knows there is such a thing as www.divorcecare .com in that vast space called the ethernet, not even those who wished you well immediately, it might be fair to say. Most of the people on this board have lives and don't spend their time trying to figure out what's floating around out there.

Yes, that answers a couple of questions, thank you.

clear as a still pond, thank you.

Don't know if there are any here on this board, but good luck to ya.

18. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I'm sorry I thought this is was self explanatory.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No, it wasn't. Besides you asked for "any other words of encouragement."

20. givengrace

givengrace New Member

And as I have said I did ask for help from a DivorceCare leader.