1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorced Preachers

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by John Miller, Dec 31, 2002.

1. FearNot

FearNot New Member

hrhema, no we have not once suggested that one be hogtied. We have stated that one needs to be more careful in their sellection of a spouse, keep their marriage second only to God, and honor God's word by being faithful to Scripture and expect a believer to live it out and hold pastors accountable.

Secondly, how do you know we haven't had family/friends who have been involved in bad marriages. My sister is a Christian and married a muslum. She has had many difficulties for this choice. We have advised her that these are the things she should have considered, but support her as much as possible. We have discussed that she can not divorse him unless he cheats on her, or he chooses to leave. This has been a great deal of anxiety in the family. So next time consider that we very well may be dealing with the issue of divorce in our families before you accuse us of not understanding what peole go through.

Third, it is funny that you compare us to the Pharisees and sadduccees. Why? Because they added to the Scriptures. We have not added a thing. We have pointed out that Scripture says a pastor is to be a man of one wife. We didn't add a thing, yet you on the other hand have attemted to add ifs, ands, and buts to Scripture. You feel in your own since of morality that it is ok for divorced people should be allowed to preach. Who is the pharisee/sadduccee here. You added, we exhibited.

Fourth, you say it is sad that people hold such erronius dogma. Well I feel it is sad you expect so little from your pastor. Where is the line of you will draw to allow someone to preach? Will you allow a wife beater be a pastor? After all, nothing in Scripture directly addresses a wife abusing preacher. No, I would guess you would not allow that to go on. Why, because Scripture supports that abuse is wrong. The one difference is that a abusive pastor can recover, but Scripture does not allow a divorced man to be a pastor. God has His reasons, and niether you or I can change it, whether we like it or not.

The church is supposed to protect us from the world, keep us on the straight and narrow path. If we open our arms and welcome the world's sin into the church as if nothing is wrong, then we weaken the church. It does not matter how many times you call a cow a horse, it is still a cow.

2. jimslade

jimslade Guest

MCK

I have many CHRISTIAN friends who have gone through a divorce, even family, and in every instance both partys contributed to the breakup!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a separation they both should remain un married. THE PENALTY FOR TAKING GODS NAME IN VAIN.

In the case of Chapman or Sandi Patty the issue is about their career taking precidence over their marriage.

If a man cannot run a household then he should not run a church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God cannot or does not keep His children from disobedience or rejecting Him, should we still worship Him?

Let me rephrase that...

If God does not keep human beings from making commitments to Him and then later rejecting Him, should we still worship God?

Obviously, yes. God gives us the freedom to reject Him. If a preacher's wife decides to sin and commits adultery, rejects all requests over a long period of time to reconcile, then deserts him for another man, files for divorce and marries someone else, should we condemn the preacher for the actions of his former wife?

If so, we are holding a human being to a higher standard than God. (Not to mention that the Bible clearly gives legitimate reasons for ending a marriage.)

[ January 05, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Baptist Believer ]

4. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

BB,
    What you state is not Biblical. A pastor not being divorced is. But then, a person is supposed to keep short accounts, and come to God with a heart of forgiveness to properly worship, if that is what you mean.

[ January 05, 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: TheOliveBranch ]

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

How in the world was it about his career?

He resigned his radio show, he resigned his TV show and he's limited himself to just a handful of dates each month, all so he could stay home and be with his family.

It wasn't about his career at all, but about his wife refusing his and their pastor's attempts to get her to go to counseling and seek reconciliation and running off with the guy she was fooling around with behind her husband's back.

Their pastor has testified to this and she, herself has admitted it.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize that I may not have been clear. I have edited my post to clarify my point.

Thanks!

7. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I don't think it's that a pastor is being held to a higher standard than God, but more so that he is being held to a higher standard than men.

8. jimslade

jimslade Guest

FOR EVERY ACTION, THERE IS A CONSEQUENSE, EITHER GOOD OR BAD.

BB You will have to take it up with God as per His standards of pastoring a church.

This is my last comment and question,

Why if the exception rule for divorce is so important did Mark leave it out in his Gospel????

[ January 06, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: jimslade ]

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I believe you are misrepresenting God’s truth, clearly taught in both the Old and New Testament, I believe you are the one who needs to talk to God about it.

It does not matter because it is clearly taught in Matthew, in the Old Testament, and seems to be confirmed by Paul’s writings on marriage.

But if we are going to use your logic, then why should we bother teaching the virgin birth of Christ since it is only mentioned in two gospels and not at all in Paul’s writings?

It is foolish to reject truth on the basis of how many times it is recorded.

10. FearNot

FearNot New Member

James 3:1 "Let not many of you become teachers, my bretheren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgement."

Didaskalos- teacher, a guide, a leader

Yes a teacher, to which a preacher is a teacher, is held to a different level of judgement. Oh and so you do not dispute that a preacher is a teacher lets look at ITimothy 2:7
    "And for this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling you the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the gentiles in faith and truth."