1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do any of you know of Muslims that have become Christians?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Lynne H, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Lynne H

Lynne H New Member

I have a very dear friend at work who is Muslim. I have prayed for her salvation many times and desire nothing less for her. She knows that I'm a Christian and one day even asked me what I think about Jesus. She is pretty devout...but admits that all the same she's sort of lax. I've read several Christian books about Muslims, but few testimonies. I do know that it's pretty likely that if she were to become a Christian she'd be disowned by her family. In passing I saw that someone here was from the Middle East, so I thought maybe that person or someone else would have known someone who was raised Muslim and then gave their life to the Lord. If so, I'd really love to hear your story.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

First rule of business: In God's time. We have a tendency to want a person to accept Christ right now before anything bad happens, forgetting that God is in control, and that we are but his servants. In other words, it may take years for a person to get to the point where they're fully ready to accept Christ.

Now to your question: Yes, my grandmother was a devout Muslim, and became a Christian when she dated my grandfather (an evangelical Lutheran). Mind you, this was in Indonesia in the late 1920's. Today, I still have family in Indonesia, some who are Christian, and some who are Muslim, and they certainly don't disown or ignore each other in any way.

The great thing about Christianity, is that, at its core, it's not a religion, but a relationship. I've known a few former Muslims who now attend Christian churches. I've also known a few Muslims who are Christians, who still practice Islam. I know some Jews who are Christians, who are still active in the temple they grew up in, too. One of my neighbors is a Muslim. One of the nicest, most caring and loving people you'll ever meet. We've talked about religious topics many times. His views of Christianity are very positive, mostly because, according to him, I discuss the topic in a respectful manner with him, and I respect his religion also. He recently told me that he believes it likely for Jesus to be the Messiah and Son of God. Now, at this point, I could either force the salvation topic down his throat (at the risk of pushing him away), or allow to simply share my faith with him, and allow the Holy Spirit to choose the time of his salvation. I know this might sound a little ecuminical, but God dwells in the heart, not the institutional edifices, so frankly don't worry much about that stuff.

Did that make sense, or did I lose you?

3. OsanOj

OsanOj New Member

I believe I am the one you saw from the middle eat....I am really from the states and am in the military, currently in the middle east and cant give an exact place, hence the somewhere in the middle east. First there are a few Arab countries where there are a minority of christians, where is she from? Its all dependent on what arab country she comes from. As far as becoming christian, I would say you would have to go slow because if she was raised islamic then it has been since I child and it will take time for her to eliminate their teachings. One gleam of hope would be that she will talk and have interest in christian thoughts, that would show she is not as closed minded as some are.

4. Lynne H

Lynne H New Member

Thank you both for responding, what you had to say was very encouraging.

Although verbally I haven't pushed her there have been times that I've felt anxious that time is slipping away and I haven't said more. During the last anxious moment that I've experienced I felt like the Lord was reassuring me that there was time, that there was no need to hurry her and that my timing is not his timing. I could feel my anxious thoughts shrinking, shrinking shrinking and then disappearing. But being reminded of that is so precious to me. It's as though God is reaffirming what he told me before.

The lastest book that I'm reading on evangelizing Muslim women is called 'Out of the Crescent Shadows - Leading Muslim women into the light of Christ'. The authors, Ergun Caner & Emir Canter, are 2 brothers who were raised Muslim and then became Christians. One thing that they have said is that it takes T-I-M-E and a lot of it. They eve said that once you do reach the women's heart she may become even more devout in her Muslim faith because she's searching to see if the Muslim faith won't provide the comfort and secruity that her Christian friend has.

My friend, Karima is from Algeria in Africa. The location of Algeria and some of its history is just a bit of what I've learned from her friendship. It's even funny that we are friends. normally speaking Karima isn't the sort of person I'd be drawn to. At first when I met her she seemed so quiet, tender hearted and reserved. More like me. I admired her deep devotion to her family (especially concerning the fact her mariage was arranged). But as I got to know her the REAL Karima began to imerge and I realized this lady had a edge to her. A edge of which would normally drive me away from someone. But in this case it didn't. I honestly feel that God has given me a heart for Karima and he is wanting us to be friends. It's so exciting and so scary at the same time!! I've only ever shared my faith w/ 2 people before...my neighbor a few years back, but she didn't make a decision for Christ and seemed to move even deeper into her sinful lifestyle when she moved away...and the other was my son who did accept the Lord (at age 4). I don't really feel prepared to be God's witness (over time of course) in Karima's life...but it appears that GOD has placed me here because HE wants to USE ME here.

Before I close would all of you pray that Karima would be open to attending my church's Ladies Christmas Dessert on 12/6? She's asked me a few questions about Christmas trees (believe it or not) so I thought maybe going would interest her. Thanks for your prayers!

5. OsanOj

OsanOj New Member

Lynn,

Well if she is from Algeria then she is most likely Sunni. They are a bit more "westernized". After some research I found that there is a small christian population and a small Jewish population in Algeria. I would say that fostering the friendship would be the first step. I also would say that if she works then her adherance to the religious teachings is small. If she were hardline she wouldnt be working and she would wear the traditional dress. Does she? Patient, consistant friendship is the way to go for the time being. Any attempt to "convert" her would most likely drive her away.

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I know Dr. Emir Caner. He along with his brother, Ergun Caner, is the co-author of Unveiling Islam : An Insider's Look at Muslim Life and Beliefs. Both of these brothers were raised to be devout Muslims and were gloriously saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. You really should read their book.

7. Lynne H

Lynne H New Member

OsanOJ, thanks for dialoguing w/ me about this. No, Karima doesn't dress any different than the rest of us. It's funny because I think she feels guilty for not being more devout than she is. For example, a couple weeks ago she asked me if I pray and I said yes. Having read a bit about the Muslim faith (including some of the book BibleBoyII recommended) I knew that Muslims pray (recite particular prayers) 5 times a day facing Mecca. So I asked Karima if she prayed and she said yes, that there are 5 prayers and they are to be prayed at specific times each day. And I asked her about Mecca and she said she didn't know what direction that would be from our building. But then she began to explain (in other words, make up excuses) for why she didn't always pray these 5 prayers. She explained that it's understood that a person can't always do so because of their jobs, etc., etc. She has done this about other things as well when it comes to practicing her faith...such as attending services are her mosque. You'd think she believed in grace! And yet she tells me that a Muslim can never be sure that they're going to get to go to Heaven because it isn't until you die that you learn if the good things you did in life outweighed the bad. Although I know she's dead wrong about how one gets to heaven I thought it a bit odd that she was willing to take these risks and excuse herself. She is fasting now that it's the month of Ramadon (yes, I realize I misspelled that). She has told me that she has many Christian friends and that several Muslim men she knows are married to Christian women. But I do wonder what she thinks makes one a Christian?? I should ask her that some day I guess. I've read that Muslims believe that their children are also Muslims simply because they are born into a Muslim family. It makes me wonder if she thinks a Christian is simply a Christian because she is born into a Christian family. I also figure that the Lord has made a special effort to have several Christians interacting w/ her and so I know it's not all on my shoulders so to speak, although I know a Christian can never save another person. She has said some other interesting things to me. For instance she said one day that she wishes all Jews, Christians and Muslims could just get along. And just the other day she asked me if I'm taking my mom to church on Sundays. Faith seems to be in the forefront of her mind. Its all so interesting to see God at work!

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Maybe it's a Southern California thing??? Here, Muslims, Jews, and Christians (as well as Buddhists, Hindis, and Agnostics) live in proximity to each other all the time, with next to no religious tension. Recently, a Jewish family purcahsed a condo in my complex, and the reaction of my Muslim neighbor was pretty "pass the beer nuts". Seeing Christian, Jewish, and Muslim children playing together in my complex is taken for granted and far from newsworthy.

9. OsanOj

OsanOj New Member

Lynn,

You asked a very important question.

"It makes me wonder if she thinks a Christian is simply a Christian because she is born into a Christian family."

Have you asked her this question? Seems like it would be a good starting point to talk to her. If she were to bring it up again, then I would ask her what she thinks being a christian is. Then that would give you a chance to explain. After that who knows where the conversation will go.

From what you have said it does not seem that she is deeply devout in her religion and she may not even believe in her heart in it. It is just that when you are raised in that way, its more of a tradition. Many in the arab world would say she is no longer a muslim, because of her dress and her lack of observing the rites. Anyway sounds like you are on the right track, just keep up the talking and eventually one way or the other you will see results.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

One of the members of our church used to be a moslim. She is an Iranian refugee, who converted after she fled her country.

11. Lynne H

Lynne H New Member

OsanOJ you wrote:

Many in the arab world would say she is no longer a muslim, because of her dress and her lack of observing the rites.

I didn't know a person could ever be considered "no longer a Muslim" unless they converted to another religion...and if that were to happen they might very well be disowned by their families. I guess from what you're saying that's not entirely true? I guess I thought once a Muslim always a Muslim.

Thanks, Lynne