1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do any other "modern-version-ers" besides me dislike the NIV?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I know several authors do such as Dr. Stewart Custer at Bob Jones University and other Bible-believers as well.

The most "dynamic" translation I use iS the ESV.

What are your thoughts? [​IMG]

2. David J

David J New Member

I don't care for the NIV. I prefer the NASB, NKJV, KJV, Geneva, etc... over the NIV.

3. natters

natters New Member

The NIV is one of my top 3 favorites. [​IMG]

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I distrust the NIV due to the combination of the translation philosophy and the theological make up of the committee. Some were conservative but others apparently were liberal and higher critics.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

My recollection is that the translators of the NIV had to sign a statement on inerrancy (the Chicago Statement, perhaps?).

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Like whom, for instance?

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I know some dynamic equivalence is necessary to convey the translation of some of the Greek & Hebrew into English, I believe the NIV over-uses it. However, I believe it IS a valid BV.

8. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I think the NIV is good translation -but I find it very bland and unengaging. I rarely if ever take it off of my shelf.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love dynamic equivalent translations for reading. My children and now my grandchildren will be read to from such.

They are NOT good word-for-word formal equivalent that I would use for in-depth Bible study.

Reading to bless my spirit and deep study to enrich my mind are two different things.

BTW, I prefer the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible) to the NIV as a "reading" dynamic translation.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I personally do not favor the NIV's dynamic equivalency, and I question the motive of the translators, but all as far as dynamic translations go it seems pretty good.

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind the NIV for just reading/devotions, but I only use a literal translation for detailed study.

12. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The NIV is a distinctly dynamic equivalence translation that is theologically biased towards the Reformed tradition. These facts, in my opinion, make it an unacceptable translation for lay persons who do not have a solid knowledge of Greek and Hebrew and a strong background in theology.

[​IMG]

13. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Who said it is biased toward the Reformed position? The last time I checked, just about anything produced by a conservative Reformed person was good (works of B.B. Warfield, Hodge's Systematic Theology, Dr. James White's King James Only Controversy, et al.)

[​IMG]

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Who said it is biased toward the Reformed position?

And why mention it if you're trying to dissuade people from using it? [​IMG]

15. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Yeah...cuz being biased toward the reformed tradition is bloody damnable isn't it?

[​IMG]I don't wanna sound rude, but I am Reformed and I take offense at that. Just because I may believe that God is sovereign and that only some people come to salvation and that that is the way God has it planned, doesn't mean I am a bad person. And it sure as there is a hell shouldn't discount me as a theologian.

Same with a Bible translation. ANY dynamic equivalent translation will be biased toward a particular tradition. The NLT seems very much biased against the Reformed tradition. It is much less accurate too.

Point being, we shouldn't throw something out because it doesn't read right with our theology. 1 Timothy, where Paul says, "This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:3-4 ESV) doesn't seem to jive with my theology, but I don't throw it out (in fact, I try daily to mold my theology to fit the text). The Purpose Driven Life didn't always jive with my theology, but I didn't throw it out.

Different translations of the Bible pick up on different nuances of the Greek and Hebrew. Sometimes a Greek word can have multiple meanings and the context gives no clues whatsoever to which meaning to use. The different translations help us see those meanings.

hmm...I'm gonna stop...sorry to go off...I just really dislike people's attitude toward Reformed people sometimes, especially when it gives the implication that we don't know our stuff.

I do not like the NIV at all and I am Reformed. It's not biased toward the reformed tradition, it's just a bad translation, in my opinion.

16. natters

natters New Member

To mix it up even more, I am NOT Reformed or Calvinistic at all, and I love the NIV. [​IMG]

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I like the NIV too. When I tried to switch to the NASU, I soon discovered that the "literal" word for word translation has many translations that I didn't agree with too.

There is no substitute for knowing Hebrew and Greek.

Having used the NIV for twenty years now, the flow of the text seems much more conducive then even the ESV.

If you don't know Hebrew or Greek, reading from the NIV, NASU, KJV, ESV, HCSB will show you where translation difficulties lie.

18. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Yes, the NIV may read more smoothly, but that doesn't mean it is a good version of the Scriptures. The TNIV reads pretty nicely as well, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a crap translation. A nice read shouldn't be our test for choosing a Bible version. Accuracy should be the first thing we look for.

19. Michael52

Michael52 Member

I don't really "dislike" the NIV, but there are other versions I like better.

The NIV was the second BV I read cover-to-cover. It is fairly "readable" and that helps one to cover a lot quickly. However, just being able to briskly read through passages quickly has the it's disadvantages. I tend to not be able to remember what I just read. It just doesn't engage my attention (mind, spirit, etc) as it should.

An interlinear, of course, forces me to slloooowww ddoooowwnn. It really engages all my faculties, to the point of pain in short order. :eek:

The ideal is somewhere between the extreme "accuracy" of rigid formalality (interlinear) and a less accurate loose paraphrase.

For me, the NIV misses the ideal balance, toward the paraphrase end. It has too much in common with the first BV I read cover-to-cover: "Good News For Modern Man". Certainly, the NIV is much superior to the GNMM, but you get the idea.

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

APuritanMindset said:

Yes, the NIV may read more smoothly, but that doesn't mean it is a good version of the Scriptures.

Whenever I've done a close study of the meaning of some Greek word, looking at how the word was used historically, how it was used at the time of the New Testament, how it was generally used by the Biblical author in question, and so forth, at the conclusion I've found myself agreeing with the NIV's rendering more often than not.

If that is an inaccurate translation, may inaccurate translations increase.