1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists have a shallow view of Corporate Worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Onlybygrace, Feb 28, 2009.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Acts 2:46-47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, ... Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

JohnDeereFan...

I agree with you 100%.

Its very frustrating for me when I occasionally visit friends churchs (more "pentecostalish" or charismatic) and leave thinking "Why cant WE have that depth of worship and joyful praise!!! Needless to say, it is completely scriptural, and so very important.(and edifying)

I come back to my church and feel like I'm in a funeral dirge during our singing. I look around and get the impression that everyone feels they will be struck dead on the spot if they show any emotion or real joy.

How has this horrible dysfuncion crept into our Baptists churces?

If we could hook our excellant teaching and preaching up with some true Holy Spirit led pentecostal style worship...there would be no stopping us.

:godisgood:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We must be careful not to equate pentecostal-style worship with Holy Spirit-led worship. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. The same Holy Spirit which can move us to loudest praise may also move us to a sense of quiet awe at being in the presence of God.

I have been in a charismatic service where the upbeat music was designed to produce hand-clapping, dancing, hands in the air. It was obviously contrived and not the least bit spontaneous.

In fact, the worship leader exhorted the people to clap louder, jump higher, and the beat of the drums intensified as he said urgently, "c'mon, we've got to get into the Spirit."

Let's not mistake our cultural preferences as the key to true worship.

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Thank you for saving me the time to type that. :thumbs:

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

A few random thoughts:

Depth of worship. Haven't heard that one yet. How is it you can tell how deep someones worship is?

I am more interested in what the people I fellowship with are like on Tuesday than on Sunday.

Contemporary "worshipers" are very quick to get down on the "funeral dirge" group for being judgmental about THEIR STYLE. I think it is clear this is a two say street and those driving it are both going the wrong direction.

Also, how long until your "style" is labeled traditional? When it is, you can start this all over.

6. Alive in Christ

Trustitle...

In churches like those its normal to see people spontaneously drop down on their knees during the worship time. Its normal to see people crying as they are singing their love to God.

Needless to say, they are too. It sounds like you feel its one or the other. In truth, it can and should be both.

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you though. In my view, if the singing praises and worship to God in a particular church can be equated with a funeral dirge, I believe something is very VERY wrong.

On the other hand, if Gods people are spontaneously (not manipulated into it) led to tears or dropping to their knees as they worship God in song, something very good is going on.

I have no idea.

Not neccesarily. As one example, classical music has been played very enthusiastically, joyfully, and with great emotion for hundreds of years now.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

This is an excellent point. Will there be a group forty years from now who are "stuck in the 90's?" That could be interesting. Will the "cutting edge" group be what is now the "traditional" group?

That could be fun, eh?

8. trustitl

trustitl New Member

You have made the assumption that God is more impressed with people breaking down and crying than he is with someone just sitting there. My Grandmother would not have shown a bit of emotion in public but loved God as much as any person I have ever known. To her dying days, at age 96, she sat in her nursing home proclaiming the faithfulness and goodness of God. Had you sat next to her in church for 70 years you would have likely sat in judgment of her for failing to worship God. You would have joined my sister who failed to appreciated the sweetness of my grandmas spirit (even to the point of saying she was not saved). This same sister is now involved in a church that would possibly impress you with their tears and lively worship.

I had this same attitude toward what you call the funeral dirge, but have since seen my failure to allow others to have a relationship with God that I need not judge. As I look back, my attitude toward these people said a lot more about me than it did them.

9. Alive in Christ

Trustitl...

I never said anything like that. God can see the heart. What I was adressing is folks who are OBVIOUSLY "going through the motions" and singing "all 4 verses", in a very dead manner, of some hymn just too quickly get it over with.

Praise God.

Thats absolutely wonderful.

I dont think I would have at all. People are different from one another. What I am referring to is a situation where *everybody* is emotionless, bland, and obviously doing it just to get it over with.

I would not have agreed with your sister at all regarding your grandmothers salvation. As I said before, people are different. Regarding your sister not believing your grandmother is saved, I would vigourously have disagreed with her about that. We are not saved by singing joyfully unto the Lord, but rather by faith in Christ. Two completely different topics.

Its sounds like one that is very good with their praise and worship.

You are you, and I am me. I cant speak from your perspective, only mine.

God bless

10. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

NODAK SAID:

Can you show me corporate worship--corporate adoration of Jesus Christ--in the New Testament?

I think when you are establishing a biblical teaching or a biblical church practice you need to be careful to consult the whole counsel of God's word before deciding what is acceptable and what is not and in your case NODAK you clearly have not done that. It is easy to jump on the 'it is not found in the new testament" band-wagon in an effort to defend your position but the truth is the Old testament and the Psalms in particular are filled with instruction concerning corporate singing and music as part of corporate worship. And before you are quick to say that we are new testament saints and not old let me point out to you that no where in the new testament are we instructed to tithe, but ,let me guess...your church is pretty strong on enforcing that OT principle???? If that is so then, that me thinks is biased biblical interpretation!

#90 Onlybygrace, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In the early part of the 16th century Martin Luther wrote "A Mighty Fortress is Our God," which we still sing today. Does that make it contemporary?
    What about the dozens of songs composed by Charles Wesley of approximately the same time period that we still sing? Are we still stuck in the 1500's with that logic? There are some hymns that contain such depth of theology and beauty in music that make them timeless.

12. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Originally Posted by rbell
    This is an excellent point. Will there be a group forty years from now who are "stuck in the 90's?" That could be interesting. Will the "cutting edge" group be what is now the "traditional" group?

That could be fun, eh?

The word contemporary completely misses the whole point of the discussion. Having a deep view of worship has nothing to do with singing modern, upbeat, distortion driven songs from Australia or wherever they are coming from these days or conversely Great hymns of the faith with only pipe organ while the women wear hats and the men sweat in the heat of summer in 3 piece suits! Harping on that mute point is exact proof of a shallow view of worship.

Depth has to do with substance of material and depth of awareness of God and response to Him. It matters not whether your vehicle is a 200 year old hymn or something you wrote yourself yesterday afternoon and are now playing on your Grandaddy's banjo that only has 2 strings. The point about music becoming outdated is irrelevant to the question.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it isn't. You are talking about "deep" spiritual worship. When something is revealed to a prophet, that is a divine act. What should that prophet do if another is already speaking?

Hold his peace.

What if the one already speaking is the third one?

Hold his peace until he is given a space next time to teach what was revealed.

The commandment is to "hold his peace," not fall to his knees spontaneously and shout and pray. Order and decorum is the rule in Christian worship.

Yes, you did. I've already pointed that out to you.

***snip Charismatic spell***

He should close his sermon and do a better job of preparing next time.

Decorum would allow a little extra time, but incessant rambling should be stopped.

Order and decorum are His commandments, not mine.

#93 Aaron, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the preacher runs out of time? Oh, I really don't think you'd like our church.

If the preacher isn't done "on time", then we wait. Better the Methodists beat us to the Cracker Barrel than we shortchange the preaching of God's word.

And I'd strongly suggest that you don't listen to any Paul Washer sermons if you have someplace to be. He's been known to preach two hours or more.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Absolutely agree.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I...

17. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Okay here we go again, IN RESPONSE TO AARON:

No it isn't. You are talking about "deep" spiritual worship. When something is revealed to a prophet, that is a divine act. What should that prophet do if another is already speaking?

Hold his peace.

What if the one already speaking is the third one?

Hold his peace until he is given a space next time to teach what was revealed.

The commandment is to "hold his peace," not fall to his knees spontaneously and shout and pray. Order and decorum is the rule in Christian worship.

Well to be quite honest with you, we don't have prophets operating in our church, so the next time you have several prophets fighting over who speaks first in your church, please feel free to go ahead and apply that principle but I'm afraid it is meaningless to me since we have never had that problem.

Quote:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but I've never said there should be loss of control. . .

Yes, you did. I've already pointed that out to you.

No I never said it, if I did then I defy you to actually quote where I say that...which you can't because I never did which means you are insisting on reading a meaning in to what I am saying in order to create an argument that cannot be substantiated. To be quite honest, I'm a little dissapointed, I expected a little more from someone of your intellectual prowess. So do us both a favour and drop that one because it seems you are the only person that hasn't cottoned on to the fact that when it comes to that point, you're just flogging a dead horse!

Quote:
    Let me ask you,

If preacher is preaching a sermon and he runs out of time before he can make a final point that he feels very strongly he should make, should he leave that point out and close the service or continue?

He should close his sermon and do a better job of preparing next time.

And pray tell Oh most biblical one what is the correct God-ordained length of a true God-honoring perfect sermon? Do you enjoy these in a weekly basis and even more pointedly, how many of these perfect sermons do you prepare and preach each week? How many minutes are they? How many points should they have? What should the balance be between exegesis and application Oh enlightened one? How many greek or Hebrew words are we allowed to mention and how many Amens are the congrgation allowed? What's that??? Come on speak up!!!

Quote:
    If someone is leading a service and according to the order of service he asks someone to pray or give a tesimony and that person takes longer than anticipated, should he stop that person?

Decorum would allow a little extra time, but incessant rambling should be stopped

Okay Okay...hold the phone, now you're confusing me!
    You say that the preacher should basically shut up on time even though he may have one more valid point to make because if he was any good in the first place he would be able to say it all in the time you think he should say it in...but on the other hand you are qite comfortable allowing a fewmore more minutes for someone to pray or share a testinoy. EXPLAIN?? Me thinks that is both discriminatory and contradictory.

Quote:
    Do you believe that God is active in the service . . .

Order and decorum are His commandments, not mine.

What on earth are you saying? That's like saying, "How do you like your eggs? Erm well I think the answert is Alaska!"

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is well known that if a preacher can't get across in twenty minutes what he needs to say then he hasn't prepared well enough. Why I say that is 1. Because the average attention span of any person is twenty minutes, and then their minds begin to wander, and 2. there is no need to drag out what can be said within that time frame.
    Having said that, in most churches I have been at the average message is between 30-45 minutes, usually near the upper end (45 minute).

We have among us many preachers that have a radio ministry. Sometimes their alotted time for preaching may be only ten or fifteen minutes. Then they will be cut off. A fifteen minute time slot has been paid for whether or not you have finished your "last point which the Spirit has led you to preach." Obviously God has first and most importantly led you to prepare for the time slot that you have to preach in, not to leave an unfinished sermon dangling in the air.

19. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

IN RESPONSE TO DHK

Well in that case both Jesus, who preached till people were hungry, and Paul who preached till people feel asleep and fell out of a window, along with people like Charles Spurgeon, Jonathon Edwards and many others can be considered useless preachers by your standards.

I think we need to be careful as Christians not to allow a non Christian world view to shape both our thinking and practices when it comes to spiritual matters in God's Church. Just because they teach that a good sermon should be 20 minutes in bible school doesn't mean that is the correct way to think about it or that that should become an expectation we bring into the church.

And as for people only being able to concentrate for 20 minutes, with all due respect DHK, that's nothing but a load of hogwash. Those same people will sit for hours in front of the television filling their minds with useless junk or watching a basket ball/ football game for much longer without even breaking a sweat.
    The fact of the matter is that we are more than happy to give up our time to every activity including our careers, hobbies and anything that suits us but not when it comes to listening to what God has to say. That's too much to ask. It's too much of an inconvenience. It starts to cut into my ME time.
    God blesses us with 168 hours a week, the bulk of which we are free to spend on whatever we want to but when He asks us to give Him some of that time so that He can say something to us that will be of benefit to us we're counting the minutes! We are happy to tithe our money, but what about our time?

Sorry buddy. you'll have to do much better than that because that brand of Christianity is something neither I nor the Bible subscribe to!

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have alluded to the problem right there without even realizing it.
    The church (i.e., the preacher, pastor, etc., is not in competition with Hollywood or the entertainment field. When we come to church and are in a state of mind to hear God's Word being preached, we are there to learn more about Jesus; to worship him, etc. God doesn't need to be entertained. And neither do we! But we do need to be challenged from God's Word, fed from God's Word, built up from God's Word, and in some cases sinners need to be saved. It is a known fact that the average span of a person's attention is only about twenty minutes. Most preachers exceed that anyway. If they are going to keep the focus of their congregation of Christ, and not on themselves, then they better not preach too long. We don't have apostles today. We don't have miracle workers today. Paul preached long. Eutychus did fall asleep. But Paul also performed a miracle.

The building was probably lit by oil lamps such as the ten virgins had. Perhaps the fuel was something similar to kerosene. That being the case the smoke from such vessels would have risen to the "upper loft," using up the oxygen and causing him to fall asleep more quickly than others.

Let's not put more of a stumbling block in front of our people than is necessary. We live in a busy rush-rush society, with many things competing for people's time. One preacher single-handedly can't change our society.