1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Baptists have a shallow view of Corporate Worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Onlybygrace, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

DHK SAID:

You have alluded to the problem right there without even realizing it.
    The church (i.e., the preacher, pastor, etc., is not in competition with Hollywood or the entertainment field. When we come to church and are in a state of mind to hear God's Word being preached, we are there to learn more about Jesus; to worship him, etc. God doesn't need to be entertained. And neither do we! But we do need to be challenged from God's Word, fed from God's Word, built up from God's Word, and in some cases sinners need to be saved. It is a known fact that the average span of a person's attention is only about twenty minutes. Most preachers exceed that anyway. If they are going to keep the focus of their congregation of Christ, and not on themselves, then they better not preach too long. We don't have apostles today. We don't have miracle workers today. Paul preached long. Eutychus did fall asleep. But Paul also performed a miracle.

The building was probably lit by oil lamps such as the ten virgins had. Perhaps the fuel was something similar to kerosene. That being the case the smoke from such vessels would have risen to the "upper loft," using up the oxygen and causing him to fall asleep more quickly than others.

Let's not put more of a stumbling block in front of our people than is necessary. We live in a busy rush-rush society, with many things competing for people's time. One preacher single-handedly can't change our society.

You have alluded to the problem right there without even realizing it
    Well I think you are either missing or avoiding the point I am making. The question of entertaining people through preaching isnt even a point of contention in this debate. No one ever advocated that so I have no idea why you are bringing it up unless you are trying to to say that simply because a person preaches longer than 20 minutes he is trying to entertain people. Is that what you are saying? Because that would be presumptious and judgemental. You don't know what peoples motives are but you should choose to believe the bet about them not the worst.

The fact is that if a person can concentrate for more than 20 minutes for entertainment sake he can surely concentrate more than 20 minutes for edification sake. Concentration is concentration. In fact if he/she has been concentrating since the beginning of the service did we not lose them 20 minutes into the service so what's the point of even preaching, we might as well all go home.

I don't know where you get this fact of..."It is a known fact that the average span of a person's concentration is only 20 minutes" known by who...give me something concrete. Concentration like memory is not concrete it can be improved on.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You were the one that brought up the subject of entertainment, not me:
    Listening to a sermon cannot be compared to watching TV. Hearing the Word of God cannot be compared to Hollywood. We aren't in competition with each other, yet many preachers think we are. At the same time it is TV, and other such things as computers that take people away from church. It does becomes the devil's tool in a manner of speaking. It is far easier to sit and watch a movie than it is to sit on a pew and listen to a preacher. Your comparison is not valid. It is apples and oranges. It is not, as you say: "a load of hogwash."
    The entertainment argument was yours.
    Yet some churches feel the need to entertain God and others.
    God has no need to be entertained. He has no need of anything.
    He has no need even of our worship.
    If God had any need of anything then he wouldn't be God.

3. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

IN RESPONSE TO DHK WHO SAID

You were the one that brought up the subject of entertainment, not me:

That is not true, I did not bring up the subject of entertainment, and I certainly did not make any comparisons between corporate worship and worldly entertainment, I'm afraid that honor belongs to you DHK.
    What I did do was quote some examples to show that we use our concentration in every facet of life as well as the church and that in those other facets we are quite capable of extending our concentration far beyond the "average 20 minutes" that you are convinced that we are only capable of when it comes to spiritual matters.
    But instead of analysing and responding to my point you are cooking up another argument that has no bearing on the topic at hand. Are you going off on a tangent because you have no relevant intelligent answers to the questions I am posing?

So let me ask you some direct questions and see if you have the courage to answer them openly and honestly without grasping at straws as you have been doing.

1. Do you DHK concentrate for longer than 20 minutes during any activities other than listening to sermons?

2. Do you have any scientific proof that concentrating during entertainment is somehow physiologically or psychologically different than concentrating during sermons?

3. If you do not have such proof on what basis are you making these assumptions?

4. Would you say that your expectations and attitude during entertainment are different than your expectations and attitude during sermons?

5. Why is it easier for you to watch a movie than to listen to a sermon when you are doing the same thing in both, sitting, watching, listening, thinking, processing?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question is moot. It hardly deserves an answer. We all work 8 hour days. Those days are broken down, but many of those occupations require concentration of at least an hour or more. If you don't work you don't get paid.
    Entertainment is another field entirely. Football and movies. We are not competing with Hollywood. These are unfair comparisons. In comparison to watching a movie at home on your own TV, if you want to outfit your church all with lazyboy recliners you might be taking a step in the right direction. If you want to provide your congregation snacks while they watch, there is another step forward. Do they have the freedom to walk around, take bathroom breaks at will, etc. What is it like in your home when watching a family movie? Do you have the same decorum in your own home as in your own church. Do you dress the same way?
    (BTW, in our church we have hard wooden pews made out of oak).
    I am not taking the time to look up all the research now, but there have been plenty of studies done on this subject. Even Billy Graham said the same.
    There is plenty of proof. I don't have the time to dig it all up now.
    Are yours? Is this a serious question?
    Do you come with the same attitude to a football game when you come to worship in a church? Really? I'd like to see what goes on in your church. Or conversely, I would like to see you at a football game? Do you stand and sing hymns of praise everytime a touchdown is scored?
    I have already answered that question for you.
    Here is another reason. The devil doesn't oppose football games.

#104 DHK, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  5. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

IN RESPONSE TO DHK:

The question is moot. It hardly deserves an answer. We all work 8 hour days. Those days are broken down, but many of those occupations require concentration of at least an hour or more. If you don't work you don't get paid.
    Entertainment is another field entirely. Football and movies. We are not competing with Hollywood. These are unfair comparisons. In comparison to watching a movie at home on your own TV, if you want to outfit your church all with lazyboy recliners you might be taking a step in the right direction. If you want to provide your congregation snacks while they watch, there is another step forward. Do they have the freedom to walk around, take bathroom breaks at will, etc. What is it like in your home when watching a family movie? Do you have the same decorum in your own home as in your own church. Do you dress the same way?
    (BTW, in our church we have hard wooden pews made out of oak).

Um, you still have not answered the question...

I am not taking the time to look up all the research now, but there have been plenty of studies done on this subject. Even Billy Graham said the same.

Er, just as I suspected. Oh yes, Billy Graham said it, there's an authority for you, I mean if ol Billy said it it must be correct hey, he also says that God listens to the prayers of Muslims by the way.

There is plenty of proof. I don't have the time to dig it all up now.

puuuk puk puk puk, cocker doodle doooo!!!

Are yours? Is this a serious question?
    Do you come with the same attitude to a football game when you come to worship in a church? Really? I'd like to see what goes on in your church. Or conversely, I would like to see you at a football game? Do you stand and sing hymns of praise everytime a touchdown is scored?

Yet another one unanswered. Are you trying to be like Jesus by answering questions with questions? What I meant is maybe you can concentrate longer when entertained because you make up your mind before had to enjoy it but it seems when it comes to shurch you're determmined to be critical and miserable at every opportunity when a minute or 2 is stolen from your Sunday football watching!

I have already answered that question for you.
    Here is another reason. The devil doesn't oppose football games.

On the contrary, you have not answered a single thing my friend and becuase the devil by implication opposes the church you should desire all the more to sit under the Wortd of God to prepare you to deal with his onslaught instead of rushing off to plonk yourself happily in front of that idolatorous box, which makes him(the devil) exceedingly happy!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is an anonymous quote:

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Dhk said...

:tonofbricks: :laugh:

So, if God...during the message...gives him more to teach or preach (which is a normal thing to have happen) he should inform God that "it'll have to wait until next week because I dont have time for it" ?

Than how come seminars are longer than that, college classes are longer than that, buisness meetings are longer than that, etc etc etc?

Even if God decides to give him, during the message, more to teach or preach??

8. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

DHK...

Praise God. Thats wonderful. I am very big on media ministries, radio in particular. I much prefer them over TV.

Of course. But that is completely different than giving a message in a church where the time alotted is "open ended", and can be extended for any number of reasons.

:godisgood:

9. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

DHK SAID:

Here is an anonymous quote:

Quote:
    The reasons why I'm giving up sports: football in the fall, baseball in the summer, basketball in the winter. I've had it all. I quit attending sports once and for all, and here are my 11 excuses:

Quote:

1. Every time I went, they asked for money.
    2. The people I sat next to didn't seem friendly.
    3. The seats were too hard and not comfortable at all.
    4. I went to many games but the coach never came to call on me.
    5. The referees made decisions that I couldn't agree with.
    6. The game went into overtime and I was late getting home.
    7. The band played numbers I'd never heard before and it wasn't my style of music.
    8. It seems the games are always scheduled when I want to do other things.
    9. I suspect that I was sitting next to some hypocrites. They came to see their friends and they talked during the whole game.
    10. I was taken to too many games by my parents when I was growing up.
    11. I hate to wait in the traffic jam in the parking lot after the game.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????...er is it just me or is there 1 item missing from your post DHK?

Not sure what it is huh, here, let me tell you...........................................................

A POINT, FOR PETE'S SAKE, A VALID, RELEVANT, ARGUMENTATIVE POINT!

Now let's start again shall we?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The point the author was making is that people don't complain when they are willing to sit and endure discomfort while being entertained for two-three hours watching entertainment in the form of a sports activity.
    But if a service starts at 11:00 am it better not go past 12:00 pm, or the pastor will here about it. One full hour (announcements and music included) is enough to sit through). The point actually strengthens your position or is meant to bolster it.

However, if we place ourselves in competition with entertainment we lose every time. Worship is not entertainment. We don't come to church with the mindset to whoop and holler and cheer on God. God does not need to be entertained. He is in need of nothing. He desires our worship. Too many churches are in the business of trying to entertain their congregation, and entertain God through the music they play, and whatever else they may incorporate into that "worship" time.

Thus if all the antics are cut out and the Word is preached in the power of the Holy Spirit, it won't be for the purpose of entertainment. It will be under the direction of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit doesn't need an hour to get His point across. The Holy Spirit doesn't put people asleep.

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Holy Spirit is a gentleman, imho, and expects us all to treat each other with respect.

It IS disrespectful to be in and out during a sermon, or leave early, etc.

And it IS also disrespectful of the congregation for a pastor to just "rattle on and on."

Now, that said, yes, there will be times the Holy Spirit breaks in and who cares if the roast burns.

But, in my 42 years a believer, far more often the pastor failed to do his homework and distill the message for us into a digestable size. Then he gets insulted when folks start getting restive when once again he goes chasing rabbits or trying to teach us all 15 points of his thesis in one sitting.

Or as I heard it recently, "if you don't respect the congregation's bottoms pretty soon you will have to respect their feet." Translation: getting worked up and judging folks as unspiritual when they complain of too long services isn't going to serve God. Instead, it may send them packing to someone who treats them with respect while preaching the Word to them.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why we don't do "special music" or have a rock band in our church.

Sadly, I was a part of that. Years ago, I used to lead the worship band at our church, having been a professional musician for many years, and after a while, I realized that, while I paid a lot of lip service to the idea of leading worship to give glory to God, it was pretty clear that we were more interested in stealing the glory for ourselves.

We had people in the church who would fawn over us like we were the Beatles. And it felt GOOD! Talk about feeding your flesh!

I had to repent of that and I cannot warn worship leaders strongly enough about what a temptation that is and how easy it is to fall into that trap.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I know what you are saying, I have played guitar nearly 40 years myself. About 10 years ago I had to fill in for our pianst who had a heart attack for about 6 months. You do get attention which actually made me very uncomfortable. I stuck stictly to traditional hymns in our hymn book. The guitar is not the best instrument for traditional hymns, but will do when you have nothing else.

14. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Ah, a good argument for the organ!! I am a retired pastor who, after retirement needed to find another church to join. The one I chose (well, really, my wife chose it!) had just lost its organist, and they thought they could not afford to pay one. After listening to several Sundays of 200 people trying to sing to piano accompaniment, I volunteered to be the hymn-playing unpaid organist. I love it ... but at first I too got the plaudits. I have learned to be a bit less obvious in my organ-playing, so that it supports the singing and does not become the object of attention itself.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's the sign of a good worship musician. :)

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can play piano, but I am a hack. My 11 year old daughter has been playing for 3 years now and is quite good. She has played in church now many times. My 7 year old son has been playing for 2 years and is getting there. I often practice with him (he is much better than me). He has played in church several times. But it is our hope that both will be church pianists.

I showed this video on another thread, it is my daughter when she had been playing about one year. Not a Christian song, but that is the lessons she gets from our local music store. My daughter is much better now and loves classical music, she plays Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart and many others. She plays quite a few hymns as well. She played in church just last week and is humble by nature. She is progressing nicely and starting to play with feel, accompanying the singing, not overpowering it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpsWbOmqdA

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Winman - Your daughter is adorable and I think very talented!! Thanks for sharing!