1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do cals Read JUST cals Authors/Non cals Just Non Cals?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Allison is Reformed in the Baptist tradition, not in the oft-cited Presbyterian tradition.

I HIGHLY recommend reading his book, Historical Theology. Great corrective for some of the horrid theology I see posted about here and ther.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Actually, you would be quite incorrect. Most "real theologians" have quite a lot more to say than gets said around here. We banter about with catch-phrase common-man theology instead of dealing with the sound andc solid arguments and propositions of true theology.

Oh, and those technical terms of theology are not just there to make theologians seem eloquent or educated. They are the way that difficult nuances and concepts of theology are brought into propositional form. The terms used are necessary to the discipline and a lack of understanding as to their usage leads to all sort of misunderstanding and theological error. I see it often, especially here on this board.

For instance, using the term "saved" to discuss soteriology is an error all by itself, but one we practice here on a daily basis. Which part of "saved" are we talking about? Justification, faith/repentance, effectual call, election, sanctification, perseverance, or glorification?"

I also realized that I never answered the OP question. Yes, I read everyone. So do most true theologians. How can one respond ACCURATELY to the propositions made by any given theologian if one fails to read them? How can one formulate a good theological response if one is not disciplined well in his or her own chosen propositional statement? Answering what has not been carefully read or understood is akin to presenting strawman arguments -- something we see often around here.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The point I was trying to get across is that what we "banter" about here in BB land more often than not comes from those that we read and find ourselves in agreement with.. :)

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What would happen if we all laid down our theological books and studied only the bible? Do you think we would agree more or less?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally never understood God until I picked one up. I viewed God as capricious before I started reading Orthodox theology. IE, without it I double I would have ever seriously turned to Him.

6. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Amy,

Some use this same idea to discount the importance of the Bible. I do think we can gain wisdom and insight from Godly people and preaching shows that we need to hear from wise and Godly men on theological issues.

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

just stating that we always need to remind ourselves that we all have a common enemy, and its NOT another brother/sister in Christ!

8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member