1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Catholics now believe in Faith Alone?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ps104_33, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never deny that Christ is present at the Lord Supper. period.

Can you prove that Bread is changed to flesh?

You can check with the leftover of the Bread.

Many Roman Catholic have claimed that the eyes of the statue of Virgin Mary is bleeding, then some people collected the blood and tested it, it turned out to be blood of men, or sometimes the blood of pigs.

Did Mary become a pig?
    What a blasphemy to your Holy Mother !

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

What does a bleeding statue have to do with me? I could careless about statues or bleeding statues. Besides what do they have to do with the Real Presence.

Again, Eliyahu, checking leftovers is pointless as I pointed out earlier, the promise of the presence of His Body and Blood pertains only to the sacrament which occurs with the confines of the eating and drinking.

You have catagorically denied the Presence of Christ in Holy Communion by denying His promises, by denying His word.

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Word have I denied and by how ?

I mentioned that Jesus is present at the scene of Lord's Supper all the time and you deny that Jesus is present everywhere and any time. Do you believe this?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was telling the truth and not refuting the words of Christ at all, only clarifying them.
    What is the difference between a RC priest saying:
    "This is the body of Christ."
    amd a Baptist Pastor saying:
    "This is the body of Christ."

There is a world of difference. I would rather take the pastor's position of clarification saying that this is not the body of Christ as the Catholic's believe. It is not the literal body of Christ. It is simply symbolic, as it is.
    DHK

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The RCC says the RC Eucharist would be pure “idolatry” if non-Catholics are right about priests having no magic powers to “confect GOD”!

The Faith Explained – A bestselling RC commentary on the Baltimore Catechism post Vatican II by Leo J. Trese is promoted as “A standard reference for every Catholic home and library”. Complete with Papal Imprimatur -- Quote from page 350-351

Parenthetical inserts “mine”

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As for JPII on this notion of Confecting Christ --

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I never denied Christ's omnipresence, in fact, on just the previous page I stated that I believe in His omnipresence.

You have repeatedly denied that Christ is offering you His body and His Blood. Therefore, you have denied and doubted the word of promise of God.
    I love this, a person who professes to believe in Sola Scriptura claiming that the Word of God is not sufficient. This is just too funny. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are the RCC afraid that their theories turn to be lies ?

Why don't they prove that the Bread become flesh, and that Wine become Blood by allowing the residue or remaining part of the bread be tested by the laboratories ?

Were they changed only when they ate and drank ? and then quickly returned back to the bread and wine, even though they didn't pray for such magic show ?

It is a magic show ! by pagan worshippers !

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the SUBSTANCE has not changed, but people remember that Christ died for them, by breaking bread and drinking wine, then it is exactly the same faith as the most protestants believe, which understands bread and wine as symbolizing the Flesh and Blood.

10. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole Passover meal was a foreshadowing, a picture, of Christ's sacrifice. Because the words are metaphor ("this is my body....") and not similie ("this is like my body...."), the RCC and others got tripped up. But ask any language or literature teacher, both metaphor and similie are SYMBOLIC devices.

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 40:6-7
    All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: 7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.

Does this mean that all of our flesh is grass ?

There is no word "like"

I think we need only one single thread for all the issues on Roman Catholicism

12. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Yes I think one thread would suffice for all of these.

I still fail to see why all of the catholic-bashing.

Yes the RCC is flat wrong about a number of things.

But that does not mean that the average church member who has faith in Jesus doesn't have the same salvation available to him/her as we baptists do.

So why all the back and forth references to canon law and Trent? These have no more bearing on the average churchman than slavery and the American church has on the average baptist today.

13. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think they would be horrified by the idea of running tests, but not for fear of being proven wrong. They would be horrified at the idea of desecrating the Body and Blood of Christ. If they were very hesitant to subject the Shroud of Turin to tests don't you think they would be even more weary of subjecting Christ Himself to lab tests?

Personally I think you are wasting your time, because even if you didn't find any evidence of human tissue or human blood it would still leave as a valid option the things that I have stated and at most bolster our (Lutherans) case against the RCC's abuses of the Sacrament.

14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some guys tested the blood shed from the eyes of the statue of Mary, and it showed the blood was men's or that of a pig !

Jesus proved himself to Thomas, touch me !

Chemnitz:
    Personally I think you are wasting your time, because even if you didn't find any evidence of human tissue or human blood it would still leave as a valid option the things that I have stated and at most bolster our (Lutherans) case against the RCC's abuses of the Sacrament

Chemnitz, Lutherans and billions of RC are wasting time for the Heretics !

Why don't you answer about Isaiah 40:6-8?

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Thread is about whether RCC now preach the gospel saying Faith Alone. If RCC teaches really Sola Fide, then there is no problem and we have no argument. However this thread reveals that many people deviate from Faith Alone in reality.
    If that is the case, the argument still exist.

Therefore the main question now is this

Does RC believe Faith Alone now ?

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If RC believes that Wine becomes Blood, then they must have the conviction that the contents of the cup is the Blood, is it desecrating the Blood, if its residue be tested?

Are you worshipping the Wine?
    Verifying the contents as real or not is so much desecrating ? It is Superstitious! Soccerors use the same logic when they defend their own sacred things.

17. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Read the Joint Declaration of the Doctrine of Justification by faith to which I earlier linked and see for yourself.

18. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I did respond in order to point out your hermenuetical fallacy. Try reading next time instead of assuming.

:rolleyes: No, I don't.

People get touchy about anything associated with Christ, how much more touchy do you think somebody is going to be when dealing with what they believe is the Blood of Christ?

19. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What nobody has answered me :

Why Don't Roman Catholic distribute the Blood converted from Wine to the people attending the Eucharist?
    As far as I noticed and heard, RC doesn't distribute to their believers but the priests only have to chance to drink the Blood.

Can anyone answer this ?

20. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I know this is long, for which I apologize, but it may answer some questions.