1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Christians Sin Every Day?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Is this good enough to be saved?

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I Told You Know, I Don't Sin Every Day...

....I'd have to repent, and admit that today I just sinned. I am human, saved by Grace, but, still flesh and blood. I am not perfect, but thanks to God. I am saved by His Grace, and that is my life's avatar/moniker. :praying:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. I probably sin when I don't even realize it!! For me to say that I don't sin each day would be prideful, IMO. I don't want to sin. I don't like to sin. But sometimes it happens. Yes, it's a choice I make and I repent and move on, asking the Spirit to help me not do it again. Thank God for grace.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jesus left us with two commandments.

Matthew 22:37-40

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

37 And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Do any of us devote 100% of every single day to loving the LORD without fail?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some here only fail to do so every 1/2 week or so. :),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm not judging you, just asking: In your three or four days, did you "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength", to quote the words of the Lord Jesus Christ in Mark 12.30? Did you do so every waking moment? Jesus said that is the first commandment, and breaking God's commands is sin.

Were you perhaps thinking of "active sins", like telling lies, losing your temper, using bad language, murder, and things like that?

(I see Amy has already mentioned some of this, so sorry for any repetition).

#46 David Lamb, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello David. Loving the Lord is a minute by minute daily chore. Let's be honest, it does not come easy. I am not talking about the emotion that some call loving Him, but the practice of loving Him. If a person cannot ever love the Lord in the manner scripture describes then they would be practicing sin (living in sin). If they are living in sin (practicing sin) then they are lost according to scripture. 1Cor 16:22 and 1john 3.

So let me ask, can you personally "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength long enough to go one minute without sinning in that minute? How about 10 minutes or an hour or more? If so does that mean that in that minute or hour you "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength? I think so. Do we keep it up continually? I don't, but I hope you do, and I am working on it as He certainly is worthy of it.

You asked me this;
    "In your three or four days were you perhaps thinking of "active sins", like telling lies, losing your temper, using bad language, murder, and things like that?"
    The answer is no.

David we are told how to do this if we will just believe it.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

[This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

#47 freeatlast, Oct 11, 2011
  8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Hello FreeatLast. Thanks for replying. Whilst I agree that loving the Lord all the time with all our being is not easy, I wonder about that word "chore". And I didn't say that we cannot ever love Him, just that we cannot love Him with 100% of our heart, soul, mind and strength.
    No I cannot. I love Him, but I cannot claim to do so with 100% of my being, so like you, I am working on it with His help, because as you say, He is certainly is worthy of it.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

David I understand this is a difficult topic. Not because we cannot make it through a day without sin, but because we can and very few who claim to be saved want to hear that. It is much easier to hear we cannot do it and make that our life's motto. A daily life of failures when it is not necessary. When we see someone proclaim how they sin daily we should all be hanging our heads in shame. There is no virtue in such a claim even when followed by how God's great grace covers them as they have in truth failed the Master. If we proclaim daily sin it should be from brokenness not proud announcement but we see just the opposite. Shall we continue in sin that Grace abound!? God forbid! No but this is exactly what many do.

One has to wonder just how many people who claim to love and believe the Lord have actually done the work of satan and told their people that we all sin every day? Many, no doubt! I know teaching that we can make it a day without sin can come across as pride, self righteousness, or bragging and certainly satan will make those accusations, but the truth is no one has to sin every day and some understand this and get it done. The thing is more people need to step up and admit it and stop worrying about being attacked by those who have fell into the trap of “it cannot be done.” So I believe we can love Him all the time as it is stated. I believe we just choose not to. As to a chore. Well if it was not then we would all be doing it.

#49 freeatlast, Oct 11, 2011
  10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is not. Nothing is good enough.

#50 freeatlast, Oct 11, 2011
  11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say I was proud that I sin every day. I said that I was glad and blessed that 1 John 1:9 exists so I can rely on the forgiveness of Jesus. In contrast, your approach is to proudly proclaim that you only sin a couple of times a week but according to your effort, your chore, you are working on getting better and better at it.

Oh boy, back into the killfile for thee!

< wipes keyboard and monitor with sanitized soft cloth >

Yes, and boastful, self-centered, arrogant, bigheaded, conceited, immodest, vain, self important, self-satisfied, smug, snobbish, high and mighty, un-humble, superior, overconfident, haughty, condescending, etc.

Satan?

:BangHead:

Eccl. 7:20 For there is not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin.

Rom 7: 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

Ya don't need grace people, according to FreeAtLast you need to WORK HARD at being sinless. :rolleyes:

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First I pointed to no one in particular. I just made general statements that only fell where they were attracted. If you were the magnet that drew the iron take heed. Second you have as usual when found wanting twisted what I said to justify yourself. 1John 1:9 is a great verse and we all need to confess if we sin. However if it your life verse I have one better;
    John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

MORE than I should, or need to, or care to admit!

think ALL of us would be shocked if we could see just how bad we are before a Holy God IF the blood of jesus did not cover my sins!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I think this is a greatly misunderstood verse.
    It has two possible meanings.

1. Go and be perfectly sinless. Or,
    2. Go and sin no more (in context, committing adultery). That is what she was accused of, and perhaps she was a prostitute. Is that what Jesus meant? I believe it is the more likely interpretation.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes I agree that your understanding is correct with regards to the context, but if she can stop doing that sin then she can stop all sin. As Christians we are not called to some sinnig. We are called to no sinning and given grace in those times when we do. It is not when we sin we have an advocate but IF we sin.

1John 2:1
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

So I will keep my motto
    Go and sin no more and IF I sin I have an advocate.