1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Christians sometimes throw the word......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IFB Mole, Jul 24, 2006.

1. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

Miracle out to often? I mean do some Christians use the word miracle too often? I have heard so many people say what a "miracle" something was. I guess my point being it almost seems like a slap to God. When God does what He does - answers parayers - we call it a "miracle".

For example a church is in a major remodel project and have been praying for $100K to come in within 30 days to keep the project going. Low and behold all the money comes in by the date the chuch has been praying for and it is claimed as a "miracle". What? you were praying for it and asked God to provide and He did and now its a miracle?

I define a miracle as God going contrary to the laws by which he governs his creation. For example, putting aside the laws of gravity, physics, matter, life, etc. etc. God answers prayers and when he does, is that defined as a miracle? I know sometimes it maybe - a terminally ill cancer patient is healed with no traces of cancer. I'm not saying that God does not perform miracles, I'm asking are all answered prayers a miracle?

Do others run into this practice of God answering prayer and Christians calling it a miracle MUCH of the time?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, this is one of my pet peeves!

A birth is wonderful, but it is not a miracle.

The sunset is beautiful, but it is not a miracle.

I talk a lot, but when I am quiet, it is not a miracle (despite what my friends may say! :laugh: )

I would not say, however, that a miracle is God going against the laws of nature, but rather that he goes beyond or above them. I don't think God violates the natural laws he created. Or maybe one could say he suspends them for a certain act.

By using the word "miracle" for everything wonderful or awe-inspiring, we demean the real miracles God performs. In the Bible, they were usually signs pointing to something.