1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do I need to be rebaptized?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nunatak, May 7, 2008.

1. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Before we rush to judgement, and start slinging around terms like heresy:

Did you really believe that the baptism washed your sins away, independent of Jesus and what He did, or that Jesus' blood washed your sins away when you were baptized?

There is a big difference.

Was your baptism a response to your faith in Jesus Christ? Did you state your belief in Him before you were immersed?

There is also a big difference in responding in faith to Jesus and being baptized and responding to faith in baptism, regardless of what one thinks God does at/in baptism.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As a general rule, Baptists historically have agreed that baptism is for believers only, by immersion, a picture of the gospel and non-sacramental.

Your friend is essentially saying this: I like your church, i like the people here, I even agree with most of your doctrines. Except on baptism. If you want me as a member, you are going to have to change your doctrine. I resent that you think my sprinkling is invalid baptism. I don't mind declaring that Baptist immersion is wrong, though.

The Baptist view of baptism is either biblical or it's not. There aren't two or three kinds of baptism. I'm amazed at the willingness of some Baptist churches today which assign equivalence to all types of baptism. They have abdicated their responsibility to preserve the integrity of the ordinances, and given it to individuals. Now each individual is the arbiter of his own baptism's validity. Sad.

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

UPC, I am sad to say. I was born and raised in this. Somehow, God brought me out and opened my eyes to realize the heresy it is. Not just heresy because of its adherence to modalism, but heresy in that its proclamation of another gospel, that is, of another saving message, than the one the Scripture teaches, read ICor 15:1-4.

4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Actually, I used the term heresy for what I was taught/believed.

Both. The teaching is that Christ's blood was applied in baptism. And w/o baptism there is no remission of sins.

No. Faith was like a credit card I could carry in my pocket, and pull it out to obtain what I needed by invoking Christ's name. Faith in Christ was not taught.

I don't understand your point here. The plan of salvation had nothing to do with faith in Christ alone.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have a good friend who came out that group. She is now not only saved but strong and faithful to God and His word. She gives her Pastor a run for his money anymore but he enjoys it because she was both saved and has grown under the ministry God gave him.

BTW - It isn't sad to say, but to your joy and His glory.
    You have an exciting testimony to give. SHOUT IT OUT!! :thumbs:

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Guys, what is UPC?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

United Pentacostal Church

What, no google :)

EDITTED IN -- Actually the church on the whole has come out of their heresy though there are still some pockets that won't recant their doctrines. So you have to kinda figure out which group of the group you talking to. Mostly it is best just to ask what they believe regarding salvation. This will give you a clue as to which group your dealing with. The Church held also to modalism and apostolic view.

#27 Allan, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok, funny guy , I did google upc and got "universal product code". :laugh:

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

an additional qualifier helps, like maybe...'church' :laugh:

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh. :eek:
    My bad. :laugh:

That would have helped, wouldn't it? Brain function is low today. :tonofbricks:

11. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

So, whats new? :laugh:

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Somebody is about to get POUNDED :laugh: :laugh:

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You got that right!

Why I oughtta.......POW...to the moon!

I love you guys! It's fun to get picked on. :1_grouphug:

14. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I aint skert of no skinny little girl...............

15. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Here I have to disagree:

http://www.upci.org/doctrine/apostles.asp

16. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have to admit I have been ashamed for believing heresy. But Christ is my all in all, and I am complete in Him.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Beat you! I got "University of Plymouth Colleges", "Ultrafast Photonics Collaboration", "Ulster People's College", "United Pan-Europe Communications", "Unified Parallel C", "Universitat de Catalunya," "United Poultry Concerns", "Uganda People's Congress," "Uniform Probate Code", "University Park Campus", "Usage Parameter Control", "Union Program Council"....... Type in "church" as well? Got "University Presbyterian Church," "Union Presbyterian Church," and "United Presbyterian Church," as well as "United Pentecostal Church". :laugh:

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Praise God for that glorious truth! Thanks for sharing your testimony - a great encouragement!

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I join in the praise as well. God bless.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

HA! HA! Allan! Read it and weep!

Thanks for the support David! :laugh: