1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do NOT Fellowship With Believers WHO Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the attitude determines the response of how to treat them!

if they are confronted with their sin, refuse to repent/confes, admit it sin, stop doing that deed etc, you are to let them be, and let the Lord himself deal with breaking them!

Bible VERY CLEAR, sign of one really been saved by the Lord is to have a repentent/convicted spirit, to seek to return to the Lord and get restored first to him, then to others...

Some like david take a year, some first time caught, others longer, but ALl will eventually come back to make right with God and the bethren...

Pne who claims to know jesus and refuses to deal with sin issues need to be delivered over to God to deal with then...

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do as paul directed"hard love", as there was a young man who was now saved and professing being such, but was having sexualual immorality, and refused to repent and forsake that, even after being confronte by elders andchurch!

so id the person has been confronted as detailed in Matthew by Jesus, and still refuses to repent/forsake doing that, let him go!

3. pk4life

pk4life Member

The answer to your question is that an individual acting on their own has absolutely no authority to withhold fellowship from another believer.

I don't think Paul was saying to circumvent proper church discipline.

I would like to elaborate on your KJVO comment. In my case, my father is a KJVO Baptist pastor. I have been told I should probably not visit their church again, if I don't attend theirs, because it could cause problems.

My sin? I decided to go to a start-up church in our area, and I didn't know that they were shunning that pastor and his wife! All of their own accord!

I guess it was my fault I didn't know.. because the gossip had gone around and I wasn't in the gossip circles.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not certain that I agree with this statement.

From a practical standpoint here is how a believer on their own rightly withholds fellowship from another believer.

Believer "A" is a member of First Baptist Church of Stinky Hollow.

Believer "B" is a member of Second Baptist Church of Stinky Hollow.

They meet each Monday morning at The Drip for coffee.

One morning "B" slips and tells of an ongoing extra marital relationship in which he is involved.

Over some time "A" has attempted to Scripturally disciple "B" who remains antagonistic claiming that what was lawful in the OT is just as lawful in the NT.

"A" must make a decision.

He breaks the fellowship, tells the wife of "B" what is going on.

I suggest that withholding fellowship from a fellow believer is (again, from a practical viewpoint) authoritative.

Perhaps you meant the statement in a different light that I am not aware.

I will agree that had "A" and "B" been in the same assembly, then no doubt the matter should be brought before the church and dealt with by that group.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has shades of

....Pentecostalism :laugh: Like the Assemblies, when a tongue is spoken, it must have an interpretation and approval by the pastor to be declared valid and of the Holy Ghost!

I agree with you 100%...we must prayerfully discern what the problem is; bring the person or persons before the fellowship for a sort of hearing out, and let the fellowship work out the problem. STILL, that is not being done enough, or at all, any longer, that I know of! When was the last time your church, any church, brought someone before the fellowship to discuss the rumors or suspicions of a wrong doing?

This is what Judith said...unfortunately, like a computer, everyone has a backdoor; we just need to know how to access, or hack it, to get in and make the changes needed. This is being accomplished with mainline denominations around the world. The Lutherans are in a flux over the ordination of gays and marrying same-gender folks! It has led to splinter groups, which I applaud for having the courage to stand up to what they see as a sin. Still, the back door is being used to accommodate every form of person and their slanted views of the Word. It seems to me that Revelation had it right when they warned that anyone ADDIiNG to or TAKING away from what is written in this book will be judged, and their name DELETED from the Lamb's Book of Life. I think this is a form of reverse blasphemy, on behalf of those who believe and refuse to enforce the Word of God as it is written!

It is the only time I see in the word where Eternal Security is said to be removed!

SEE: Rev. 22:19 (NLT) "And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book." :type:

#25 righteousdude2, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  6. pk4life

pk4life Member

Why are you giving "A" the authority to break proper discipline as described by Jesus himself? Because they are going to different local churches?

"A" has no decision, and has no right to break fellowship if he is too cowardly to first bring others with him to speak to "B", and then bring it up to the church. I don't find in this case the Bible making it optional in anyway to circumvent bringing matters to the church. In fact, it puts "A" in bed with "B" on this sin.

This is a pathway to sin when an individual can just start shunning another of their own accord. You give an example of an affair... but I'm telling you in real life this translates to nothing more than an individual shunning another individual(s) because a woman wore a pair of pants. Seen it happen.

Bring it to "B's" local church, and he should be allowed to sit in on procedures and relay that to his church and anyone else. The dysfunction and corruption of the current churches discipline efforts to keep things "in house, and low profile" doesn't remove responsibility.

If "B's" local church doesn't want to handle it, and the church isn't up to snuff on handling it properly... there is no reason in my mind why it couldn't be brought up to "A's" local church, and handled with or without the presence of "B". After all, now it's not just you, it's a small group of people to support your claims that this person is unresponsive, AND so is their church. Anything else leads to gossip... seen that too.

Apostle Paul was very vocal about this stuff in many churches. He had no problem publicly calling out sin in a loving and gracious... yet very powerful, manner.

7. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Every Christian, whether he has committed these sin's is capable of every sin mentioned in these post, because we are flesh. Why do we travel through this world in the flesh stumbling and sliding along ? Christ teaches us that we are not perfect and never will be this side of the grave and it gives us a longing to go be with him and have done with this flesh and also he teaches us, that we are to trust in his righteousness as our righteousness and not trust in ourselves.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will drink to that Salz!!:thumbsup:

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We as brothers/sisters in the lord have a commitment to jesus and to each othe, and IF I see a brother stumbling in sin, need to seek him out to confromt him in love, attempt to restore such a one, IF he rebukes that offer, then bring in Pastor/eldes, then local body, then kick them out, in order to have lord deal with them!

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You seem like a mature spiritual person, how do you draw the line between associating and not associating? What tells you this or that person is following the Lord and the other has a pattern of sin in their life? That to me is the ultimate question in this whole issue, since we all sin and fall short of God's glory.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

Matthew 18, (NASB)
    15 "If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
    16 "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED.
    17 "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
    18 "Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.
    19 "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.
    20 "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."
    21 Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times ?"
    22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." ​
    We forgive every time we are sinned against and forgiveness is sought, whether the sin is against us as an individual, or against the corporate body of the church. The need to continually repent does not mean that the previous act of repentance wasn't sincere. It means we have again fallen into our favorite sin. If Jesus gave this command, then He obviously did not expect that one-time repentance was going to be sufficient for every kind of sin we may commit. Think addictions. Think anger. Think gossip, gluttony, pride. Those sins typically have a stronghold on us that we must continually tear down until, finally, we stop building it up.

#31 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This passage answeers the question of where to do th line on fellowshipping with another Chrsitian or not, as when that person gets to the point where theywill accept NO rebuke, NO desire to seek restoration, not to repent and forake that sin, then treat them as a "tax collecter", but also, MUST receive them back when they come back to their senses after the Kord deals with them!

13. pk4life

pk4life Member

I agree with the IF he rebukes that offer, to follow those steps.

That's what the illustration used by agedman was about... someone who remains antagonistic and doesn't heed your words.