1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do or don't, you can't win!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

For years, I've heard Christians whine and complain over the lack of decent entertainment by way of movies and books for Christians.

Yet, whenever a movie or book comes out or is brought into the spotlight that has a Christian theme to it, half the Christians scream bloody murder over it!

They rip it apart like wild beasts, sniffing through it for anything that might have a hint of not being 100% scripture, even when it isn't presented with the intention of teaching straight doctrine, but is extolling Christian virtues.

Nothing but the bible will ever satisfy them, and people even fight over that. New version of the Bible? Rip up the scriptures and line a bird cage with 'em!

Yet, they still decry the lack of good entertainment for Christians.

There is NOTHING that can be made that every Christian will agree with. NOTHING. No book will EVER be written, no movie EVER made, that falls in perfectly with your doctrine.

It's not a vast left wing conspiracy.
    It's not an attempt to sneak in false doctrine to make your children turn to the devil.

The Christians have asked for more things based on Christian values, and we've gotten some.

How much easier does God have to make the Christian life for us?

We wanted faster ways to get the gospel out, we can now get to the other side of the world within 24 hours.
    Then we didn't wanna have to actually embarass ourselves and speak it, so we mass produce pamphlets.
    Then we moan that the world isn't Christian because television has rotted people's minds.
    So movies based on Christian morals and teachings are made, and we complain even more. If they don't make them they're evil. If they do make them, they're even worse.
    Then we complain that the books that are Christian based are too soft, so they put out stricter ones, and we complain they're legalistic.

Then we don't have enough to complain about, so we go back to old books with Christian concepts and critique them too.

Well duh!

And for the most part, everyone knocking everything is sitting behind their computers doing it. HA! Yeah, that preaches. Then if I SAY that, they say the person with more influence has more responsibility, so we have a right to spend our time criticizing Christians that are more influential in the world than us.

What's wrong with you people? You're acting stupid. Stop it. Man alive. And half the same people who knock everything made with a Christian theme are the ones who still rent out bloody action movies packed with violence and read love stories full adulterous ideas but go see a C.S. Lewis movie? Oh no, THAT would WRONG!

Did it ever occur to people that because something is attractive to audiences doesn't make it evil? Guess what? The Spirit of God is ATTRACTIVE. People are drawn to bad, yes, but the same holds for the Spirit. When Christ spoke, when John taught, MASSES came to hear it. Billy Graham style throngs. Yeah, Billy Graham! I said that. [​IMG]

There, that feels better.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just remember those who are rocking the boat are not the ones rowing it.

Some people are miserable and try to make everyone else miserable. I feel sorry for those people because they have to live with themselves.

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

James 5:9 Murmur not, brethren, one against another, that ye be not judged: behold, the judge standeth before the doors.

4. standingfirminChrist

Ever watch the movie, 'Time Changers'?

In Time Changers, a wonderful moral is taught that many seem to miss. One cannot teach a child that something is wrong or a sin, without telling the child who the author of that law is.

Movies with good morals are just that, movies with good morals. A person can grow up all his or her life doing good because he or she was taught to do good, and still die and go to a devil's hell because that person was never taught about Jesus Christ.

That being said, I have seen many movies down through the years that were wonderful family movies, taught good morals and principles, and were reccommended by churches all over the United States. Yet they never once mentioned Christ in the movie at all.

While we may think the movie is good because there is no cursing, no violence, no nudity or sex, families are enjoying a talk around the dinner table, etc., by God's standards and the written Word, the movie is not good at all because it does not point to Christ.

Where are our values to be? In a movie that has good principles? or in Christ?

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Gina and gb I agree wholeheartedly! What a mess.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If it is morally correct it IS pointing to Christ. Anything good is pointing to Christ.

Now, are you SERIOUSLY going to argue a post about arguing?

Preaching against sin is fine and dandy, if you're preaching against sin.

Why is it that this gossip style of posting is acceptable?

Instead of picking out the problems with other believers, why not talk about the problems themselves and leave the gossip out?

Instead of saying "Martin Luther King is a shame to our country because I read he had affairs, why not talk about the sin of adultery?

For those engaging in gossip style posts, what if I did it to YOU? What if I took all your indiscretions and sins, your mistakes and any theological errors you may have ever posted or truths you may have not known then and accused you of being an enemy of Christ, a false teacher, TOTALLY ignoring anything good you ever did and simply judged you and slammed you on the open forum to all other Christians and the world?

Is that right? Is that good? Is that holy?

No, it isn't. It would just be dumb and disgustingly wrong.

7. standingfirminChrist

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    Matthew 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

If all good points to Christ, why are so many going down the broad road?

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Why does Jesus say to those that proclaim to have prophesied in His name, cast out devils, and done many wonderful (good) works, 'I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity' if all good leads to Christ?

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Gina

I agree. We are all here because we like to debate and defend our positions. However some take it to far making posts for the sole purpose of causing contention between posters. I hope I have not been one of the ones to take the debate to far.

I especaly agree with this part

and have tried to make this point on other threads. I think this kind of thing is especaly hurtfull to our witness.

Friendly disagreements and deabate are helpful in alot of ways. A good debate helps me learn to defend my position in the real world, and helps me to make up my mind on issues and topics I may not have yet. This board has for the most part been a blessing for me, but there a few threads and topics that I am ashamed of being assosiated with at all.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

One more thing. Post something positive that nobody can argue with and watch it fall down the forum.

Around the end of the year somebody (cant remember who) posted "how has God blessed you this year". I think it had less then 10 posts when it disapeared. That is sad, people have time to rant and make personal attacks against MLK for 8 pages now but can not even make a single post about the blessing given to them by God. That post should have been shut down for hitting the 20 page limit and then restarted so everybody could get a chance to post. Instead people want to throw stones at anybody who is not them.

10. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I disagree, Gina. There are many religions that teach morals consistent with Christianity. Ever see a Mormon TV ad about family values? I have a saying: "God doesn't like things because they are good. Things are good because God likes them."

On the other hand, SFIC says:

"While we may think the movie is good because there is no cursing, no violence, no nudity or sex, families are enjoying a talk around the dinner table, etc., by God's standards and the written Word, the movie is NOT GOOD good at all because it does not point to Christ." (emphasis mine)

I think we need to remember that "not good" is not the same as "bad". Some things are just neutral (not good and not bad, like goatees!) and I think Christians sometimes spend too much energy trying to classify neutral things as good or bad.

11. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

I see no reason not to push for a higher standard. Over the last few year Christians have sent out a loud call for something better. I'll support a shift in the right direction, but I will keep pushing for better

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Gina said: "What's wrong with you people? You're acting stupid."

For some it is no act.

The group that may have been left out those who whine about the whiners.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I saw it, and aside from adequate-at-best acting, I thought it was great. The only thing I didn't like is at the end when the guy is setting the time machine for the near future (less than 100 years), and gets nothing, leaving the impression that scripture says the world will end within the next 100 years. That is, of course, sheer speculation. But that minor detail was not enough to thumb one's nose at the film. I thouroughly enjoyed it.

In regards to this thread, I concur with the OP 100%.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Buckster, I see under your profile, where it asks for a short statement of faith, you have posted
    That is an intriguing statement. Please do share your testimony with your fellow Christians here on the BB, it would be very much appreciated. [​IMG]

15. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Gina said: "And for the most part, everyone knocking everything is sitting behind their computers doing it. "

If I feel like someting needs "knocking" I will do it computer or not. However, as for this site, unless people here want to call me or meet me I am limited to sitting behind my computer.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I firmly believe the public forum is for dealing with all aspects of sin, whether omitting the Gospel as sin? As promoting recreation as an alternative to the Gospel?

Knowing the Gospel of Christ allows me to see the motive behind many forms of entertainment. Ever see "The Christmas Box" ? Some would demean the movie because Chjrist is not specifically mentioned, but God is main person alluded to and the character of the elderly woman is somewhat angellic in leading John Ritter the right direction. Though he doesn't bow his head and ask Jesus into his heart, a definite repentence is portrayed and the result of a changed life is exemplified. Great movie! Gospel? Sort of left to the watcher to see his need to turn to God, who just so happens to be Christ.

17. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I liked "Time Changers", I also liked Gina's post along with Gb's comment.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True indeed. But some confuse not including the Gospel with omitting the Gospel. I loved the movie "That Thing You Do". It doesn't include the Gospel, but did it omit the Gospel? Of course not.

It would be wrong is the intent is to replace the Gospel. Again, noting the difference between 'not including' and 'omitting'.
    I agree completely. Great movie, loved it. But yes, some will demean it because, to them, the Gospel is "omitted", in their opinion.

19. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I agree with the OP 100%. I also think that some people confuse the entertainment industry with the Bible and/or church. Christian entertainent is not meant to replace the Bible, or to be a replacement for a good church. It is meant for entertainment purposes alone.

20. buckster75

buckster75 Member

That is an intriguing statement. Please do share your testimony with your fellow Christians here on the BB, it would be very much appreciated. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]In HS when we used to drag main our turn around spot was the 7-11 parking lot. One night there was a group there singing gospel songs and witnessing to any who would hear. I was one who heard and responded. I never saw them before that night and I never saw them again. I just know that night I accepted Christ.