1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do our Baptist heroes...

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 11, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

serve as icons for us, since we seem to like to hang their pictures everywhere?

2. mioque

mioque New Member

Checks the whole churchbuilding, doesn't see any pictures of people.
    Apparently not [​IMG]

That's when I notice the 2 busts :eek:
    One of Erasmus in the library, one of Bach next to the organ.
    Well at least they aren't baptists. :D

3. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I know of a church in S.W. MO. that when you first walk in the door, the very first thing that is seen is not a bible, not a Christian flag, not the aritcles of faith or church covenant. The first thing that is seen is a 36x48 portrait of the founding pastor. Nothing is done in that church unless it is something that the founding pastor did before and nothing that he did can be undone or changed in any way.

Yaaa hereos! :(

4. lizzybee

lizzybee New Member

I don't know? but our church is celebrating it's sesquicentennial this year and just hung photos of the former pastors (as far back as they have photos) and I think it's awesome--a reminder of the men who have served faithfully at our church.

Is it any different than displaying a picture of my mom? she was instrumental in my faith. I don't think it's wrong unless we bow to the picture--or perhaps that 36x48 may be over the top--lol
    Malissa

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really haven't noticed this trend. Mioque will be forgiven the busts of Erasmus (well, maybe) and Bach (most assuredly.)

6. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Some churches that I remember growing up had pictures of deceased members on the walls.

Some churches were named after members that left an impact on the others (these were usually women).

I think it's viewed as a memorial, in those cases.

7. LarryN

LarryN New Member

How's this for a picture at a church? This is a mural of the pastor & his wife. (Some of you will no doubt recognize who they are.) Bear in mind that this is the end of a three-story building you're looking at:

http://www.wayoflife.org/gifs/bigjack.jpg

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well that's ridiculous! I don't know who they are tho. A Christian school in the next big town has a giant Hyles statue out front, so I've been told.

The only pictures in our church are of our previous buildings and we have a cabinet with some old hymnals, Bibles and picture of some picnic back in the early 1900's with all the church members lined up. NO preacher photos, etc.

Diane

9. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Can You Say:
    OVER THE TOP??!!

10. aefting

aefting New Member

There is a church near my home with a large painting of Curtis Hudson over the door to the main sanctuary. At least it's not a 3-story mural!

On the other hand, I recently took a self-guided tour of Northamption, MA and Enfield, CT hoping to find a statue or some public recognition of Jonathan Edwards. Perhaps I didn't know where to look but I couldn't find anything.

Andy