1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Our Soldiers Deserve The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Petra-O IX, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

An Army investigator has recommended that four soldiers accused of murder in a raid in Iraq should face the death penalty if convicted, according to a report obtained Saturday by The Associated Press.

Although these soldiers have not been found either innocent or guilty, I would like to pose the question that if found quilty do they deserve the death penalty.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Should Petra be found guilty of murder, I would like to pose the question: "would Petra deserve the death penalty?"

#2 El_Guero, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Good question EG. What do you think? Do I deserve death, give me your personal opinion.
    You can never derail a thread too soon.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Petra

You want my opinion on two soldiers then step up to the plate and tell us, would you deserve the death penalty?

I will gladly add my opinion after you have given yours.

5. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

If I did what they were accused of, then my answer would be yes.
    Now if I may elaborate , for what crime are you are you wanting to try me on?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Did not realize that I was being obtuse . . .

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I agree, if they are found guilty of murder than the death penalty should be considered.

8. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

It sounds like you are willing to consider other alternatives to the death penalty.
    Under what circumstances would you not want them to be condemned to death?
    Also should they be tried under Iraqi law?

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Given the mitigating circumstances of combat, I'd have to say that the death penalty is probably not appropriate, unless there's some things we are not aware of, that happened during the killings.

10. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Hi Galation,
    Do you think that there is any chance that this case might be brought up in an Iraqi Court. If the soldiers were found guilty and were not given the death sentence don't you think this would complicate our standing in Iraq

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think so for the same reasons a person can claim temporary insanity.

War is a place where the lines between right and wrong blur. You would not accept a person walking the streets with ears of his victims on his belt, however, this was a practice in Vietnam.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's another thread on a similar topic in which I cited mitigating circumstances.
    Oh, yes, the one where one of the accused gave extreme stress as one of the factors that may have caused their actions and lack of judgment.
    Everybody beat me down and everybody said there were absolutely NO mitigating circumstances that could excuse trained combat soldiers when they commit such atrocities.

I'm glad to see you actually agree with me, Galatian, except of course if you forgot where you sided in the other thread if you posted in it at all, which I do not know, because frankly I simply didn't go back to follow up anymore.

Now to go back to the thread.

Yes, they should be tried under Iraqi law, and from then on let the axe fall where it will.
    But our government should provide them with the very best secular and Islamic lawyers money can buy who will fight tooth and nail for these soldiers' heads not to be laid on the chopping block.

If they are tried under American law, then I submit they do not deserve the death penalty.

#12 pinoybaptist, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What hypocracy?

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forget that, Rev. I took it back. I didn't mean that.

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I can't imagine subjecting these soldiers to an Iraqi court! They should be tried under Military law. I would also agree with Galatian, that the death penalty should only be considered under the most mitigating of circumstances.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you saw that yourself?

Or are you just exercising a little poetic license instead of good sense?

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not personally but my cousin who lost his mind there was one who carried ears. He is still not fully present.

My point was that people at war loose hold of true reality or shall I say his reality changes. This is something we desire ad need from our warrior's. It's easy for us to sit in safety and say what's right and wrong but when the bullets are flying over your head or when your best friend died from a IED it becomes harder to clearly define that line (right and wrong).

This is the position we have put our soldiers in and is the verb that gives us this "freedom". Should we just ignore what they do, no. Should this be taken into consideretion during sentencing, absolutely.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

Can't imagine anyone stupid enough to enlist if this court marshall goes forward.

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fervently believe it is un-Christlike to seek the death penalty for anyone. So, I do not think they deserve the death penalty, nor anyone else.

peace to you:praying:

20. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

But these crimes were committed in a Muslim country. shouldn' they be subject to the authority of that government?