1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do people which commit suicide automatically go to hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I had to think about this today.
    I bet that many christians would simply say something like "Nobody has to commit suicide" and that God always offers another way out. But what if somebody simply has no real control over himself? I read that a woman which was in a test group for an antidepressant killed herself in the taper off phase! And this woman was healthy. While getting off the antidepressant something must have happened in her brain which simply made her do it.
    There are things which you simply cannot control and I want to see those which simply say stuff like "nobody has to" what they would be doing if they all of a sudden lacked certain neurotransmitters. What do you do then? What if a reaction in your brain simply makes you do it?
    Do you think that God would simply send such a person to hell and that God has no understanding for something like this and God would simply say "you didnt have to do it"?
    It is really scary when you think about how dependent you are on things such as neurotransmitters. If you only lack 1mg of a certain substance it can make you freak out and kill yourself. Does this not make us look like puppets which have no control over themselves? I think this is very scary when you realize that you could simply kill yourself if you lacked a certain substance in your brain. Maybe you think that you would never do this but this woman also did it. A healthy woman killed herself while getting off an antidepressant. This is scary.
    I think that it is like being drunk when you are drunk then you cannot control yourself. If somebody made you drunk and you would sin while being drunk would you be responsible for it? Now where is the difference between somebody who commits suicide because of an imbalance? Is he responsible for it? Or do you think that God "understands" such things?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suicide does not send a person to hell. The bible never teaches that nor even comes close to implying that.

What sends a person to hell is the rejecting of Jesus Christ and Lord and Savior.

Now, you have read about that woman who committed suicide while on anti-depressants.

Alright.

I, myself, have been on anti-depressants for chemical imbalances in the brain caused by seizure medication that I cannot live without. Those anti-depressants saved my sanity. I didn't kill myself.

For every horror story that you read about and worry and fret over, there are many, many more that are success stories.

Why not believe those stories?

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, I was gonna post, but Scarlett said what I was going to.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

XDX, my uncle who I was very close to (really the only relative I was close to except my parents) committed suicide 3 years ago. He had been suffering from depression, but refused medication. Depression is far more dangerous than the medication that cures it. Get some help. Please. :praying:

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I second what Amy says. XDX people here on this board who dont even really know you, care about you. You should go talk to somebody in person.

6. standingfirminChrist

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. It is the ultimate act of rejecting the Lord. Placing faith in a gun, pills, rope or whatever to take away pain and depression instead of depending on the Lord.

1 Corinthians 10:13 clearly tells us that there is no temptation that can come upon us that we cannot bear... this includes temptation to kill oneself.

Jesus said in Matthew 7 that a good tree cannot produce evil fruit. How can the good tree (that person who is saved) produce evil fruit (suicide and other great sins) as a last act in this life?

Do we call our Lord and Savior a liar and say that evil can be produced by those that are saved as a last act? Do we say the Word of God is a lie when it says that temptation for suicide can be overcome if one gives it to God?

7. standingfirminChrist

A member of a church I attended a few years back committed suicide. This member was a Head Deacon in the church. He knew the Word of God and often encouraged people in the Word. But his last act on earth, because of financial problems, was to put a gun to his head and take his own life. He left behind a wife and daughter.

Jesus said in the gospels, 'If any man will follow me, let him first deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.' I cannot see someone who commits suicide as totally denying self and following Christ.

Many, through their walks on this earth have a form of Godliness. They attend church faithfully, they tithe, they witness to others, but when faced with trials, many will deny Christ and His power to keep and sustain. They rely on lies of the devil to get out of a mess or situation instead of trusting God who said, 'My grace is sufficiend.' Paul said he would much rather glory in his infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon him.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

People go to hell for not being saved, for not having their sins forgiven, for not knowing Jesus. Not for anything else.
    Sadly some christians do commit suicide. Does God approve, absoutly not. How often do christians do anything, even a stray thought, that God does not approve of? God is our father and He loves us no less when we are disobedient then when we are obedient. He disaproves, He hates our sin, but He loves us, we are His children. When our children do things we disaprove of do we stop loving them? No. Once we ahve been accepted, as Jesus said, when we are His He will not lose a single one from His eternity.

9. standingfirminChrist

John 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

The devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy. He destroys lives by lying to people to commit suicide or to kill others.

Jesus said His sheep will not hear thieves and robbers. We are not to be ignorant of satan's devices.

Do you think it is God telling these people to commit suicide? to place their faith in a gun or other object to end their miseries? I don't think so.

As I said, suicide is the ultimate act of rejecting the Lord. Many will stand before Him claiming to have worked for Him, to have done miracles in His name, yet He will profess that He never knew them. I believe many of these He is speaking of are those who ultimately placed their faith in an object rather than trusting Christ.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful SFIC, that you don't present a message that you didn't intend.

I agree with your ascertain that suicide is selfish and ugly. It destroys the life of not only the suicide victim, but it destroys the life of those left behind. If suicidal persons would just consider what they are going to put there loved ones through, I believe that some of them would refrain.

But while your statement above has validity, in that suicide is selfish, it does not give any credibility at all to the misguided concept that suicide is evidence of a lost person.

I can't see someone who commits murder who as being a follower of God's plan for our lives. But David did. He did so after being backed into a corner by his own fleshly desires. He made the wrong choice.

I certainly can't see someone who denies having a relationship with Jesus as someone who is saved......but Peter did. He did so under extreme duress and making a wrong decision out of fear.

Some christians who commit suicide are under extreme mental duress. They, like David and Peter make terribly wrong choices. It means that they faltered in their walk with God, but it doesn't mean that they had no walk to begin with.

And it doesn't excuse the taking of their own life. But by the same token, if they are saved, it doesn't send them to hell.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Oh, it's easy to judge from outside, looking in. You can have all the answers as long as you remain aloof.

12. standingfirminChrist

Suicide is murder.

And we know that no murderers will inherit eternal life according to God's Holy Word.

Or do we deny that?

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Neither will liars...Ever told a lie?

Bro Tony

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Like I say, when we can reduce the love of God to a mathematical formula, we have succeeded in always being right. About everything.

15. standingfirminChrist

Scarlett,

David repented, Peter repented and both were forgiven. But after suicide, there is no forgiveness for repentance.

If there was forgiveness after death, the rich man would not have been left in hell. After all, did not he have a repentant heart in hell?

#15 standingfirminChrist, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  16. standingfirminChrist

Tony,

Strawman argument. After all, the Word of God says 'Let God be true and every man a liar.' That would mean every man is destined for hell since all liars are destined for the lake of fire.

But Praise be to God for His unspeakable gift and for His mercies that are new every morning. We are forgiven for sins we commit while in this life. But as I pointed out, once one murders oneself it is an ultimate act of rejecting the Lord, and thus guaranteeing him or herself the displeasure of hearing his or her name is not in the Lamb's Book of Life.

As I said, how can one commit evil as one's last act upon this earth and be accepted into a kingdom where nothing that defiles is allowed?

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

So we're back to Last Rites, then?

Better die with no unconfessed sin, or down ya go?

Horsefeathers.

My God forgives sin. The "unpardonable sin" is not suicide.

SFIC, your argument's looking anemic. Better give it an iron pill.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that there is no forgiveness after death. But I disagree that the rich man was repentant. He did not ask for forgiven nor did he confess his sin. He only wanted the torment to go away and he only wanted to spare his brothers the torment that he was going through. It's not that, by that time and seeing that hell is real, that he wasn't sorry that he was there, but, to me, it's that he knew there was nothing to be done about his condition. That's not the same as repentance.

But I believe that there is no forgiveness of the sin nature after death. But for the christian, the individual sins were taken care of on the cross.

When Jesus died for me on the cross, he died for every sin that I have committed in the past, committed today, and will commit in the future. Even for the sins that I don't even know that I am going to be tempted by yet. Even the sins that I have sworn with an oath that I would NEVER do again......but will. He knows about my sins for tomorrow and next year.

When I accepted Jesus as my Savior and accepted His shed blood as an atonement for my sins, Jesus healed my sin nature. But I still sin. It's because I am in body of flesh and live in a world where the prince of darkness has authority.

Because I still sin, I still repent. But I do not have to be saved again every time I sin. Because I am saved, I see sin differently that the world does. I try my hardest to look for that "way of escape" so dearly given to me by God, but sometimes my own selfish heart won't look for it and I still sin.

What if a christian is very angry because someone molested his child. What if he harbors deep and uncontrollable hatred for that person and before he can get that resolved in his heart, he dies? He dies having unconfessed hatred for a fellow man.

Jesus said hatred is murder. Doe he go to hell?

I'm not trying to downplay your thoughts on suicide. It's ugly. It's sinful. And it leaves family members behind who suffer for years.

But I believe that all christians die with unconfessed sin in their lives. We can't be consciously aware of every single sin that we have committed in the entirety of our lives.

Only Jesus was conscious of that. Every single sin, committed by every single human for all time. Those sins were in his consciousness and he had to look at every single one of them. Those sins invaded him so pervertedly that Jesus became sin for us on the cross.

And that's what killed him.

19. standingfirminChrist

so rbell,

You deny God Word when it clearly states no murderer will inherit the kingdom? when it clearly states that all murderers will have their part in the lake of fire?

Were those two verses not the truth? Does that mean since I have placed my faith in Christ I can go out and gun down as many people as I wish and then turn the gun on myself and be guaranteed eternal life with Christ?

I don't think so.

20. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I agree with this statement so let's let the mercies extent out completely. I would wonder if any individual really knows that they have personally confessed all their sin. Jesus died for all my sin (s), and when He did they were all future. I am glad that my sin is washed away completely, not partially.

Bro Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.