1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do pork-eaters go to hell?!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leviticus 11 is addressed to the Israelites, but it has been asserted that it is really a "food for humans" universal law. If the flesh of animals that are found dead are unclean for all humans everywhere at all times, then why does God command the Israelites to give it to other humans to eat (Deut. 14:21)?

Also, how does the SDA church explain God commanding Elijah to eat from the beaks of unclean ravens?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    humans and ravens are unclean for food. The porpoise skin that covered the sanctuary tent of meeting was unclean for food. But since Elijah is not eating rats or ravens and since the Preists were not in the temple eating pigs or porpoises - it was in keeping with God's Word.

Even today - "humans" argue that you should not simply pick up a dead animal and eat it. The idea that "only Jews should not do that" is not something I am familiar with today. Are you?

EVEN in the special case of a clean animal that dies of itself WITHOUT being diseased - the problem for "humans" is that it is the same thing as if it had been strangled. The blood has not been drained instantly at death.

In Acts 15 - the NT saints were told to avoid things strangled and avoid blood -- that is preciesly the problem that you are addressing. Apparently the NT saints were being put in the position of "God's Holy People" in the scenario of Deut 14 when it comes to things strangled and blood.

In no case do we see Jews eating rats or offering dead rats to their neighbors as food. Nor do we see Peter eating sewer rats.

Next.

In Christ,

Bob

#102 BobRyan, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God says eat beef steak, chicken, salmon, lamb, deer etc

But some have the urge to argue for the creeping things and sewer rats that God says is not "EDIBLE" when it comes to human food. Kinda strange if you ask me.

in Christ,

Bob

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

'says eat locusts and grasshoppers, too.'

Do you eat and enjoy grasshopper stew, BobRyan? How about fried locusts in gravy?

How come this is not ever mentioned in the thread?

Gotta' run. Time for my radiation treatment.

Ed

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It has been mentioned...by me. It was totally ignored.

God Bless you as you go for treatment. :)

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread (I can't remember who, sorry :))....

Do pork eaters go to hell?

Yes.

As do chicken eaters, beef eaters, salmon eaters...even vegetarians. It's not what you eat, but Who you love.

The rejection of the Savior sends you to hell. Or as Jesus said, "he who does not believe has condemned himself already".

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Way back when, they did not have freezers they kept their meat by putting salt on it, a lot of salt and after eating some of that "salt pork", sometimes you thought you had went to hell, for it sure got "hot" at the outhouse. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But what about this?

Rom 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

Does Paul imply that cats,pork and rats are okay to eat because all things are pure?

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That reminds me of when I was a kid we would visit my aunt and uncle's house and they didn't have indoor plumbing. Went to that outhouse many times! :laugh:

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, as long as you have a clear conscience about it.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But what if a have a clear conscience doing bad things? Then it doesn't mean that this is automatically okay. What if my conscience is simply perverted? How do I know if you can rely on it?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Then I would say that you're not saved and do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If you have the Spirit, you cannot do bad things without feeling the Spirit's conviction. If your conscience is perverted, you have not been born again and are still dead in sin and still desire the things of the flesh.

Compare everything to the word of God and if it is in contradiction, it is wrong.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Then I guess you and I have a lot in common.:laugh:

Did you open the door real slow, looking for snakes, and did you look all around all the time you were in there looking for them or any wild thing that might hurt you, spiders, bugs? Could you see outside through the cracks in the walls of the rough wood it was built out of and feel like someone was looking in?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#113 Brother Bob, Mar 20, 2007
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Probably not merely looking in through the cracks but seein...! [​IMG]

Ed

#114 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2007
  15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I actually laughed out loud when I read this!:laugh:
    There were always wasps and wasp nests. And those big ol' green flies that were big enough to carry you off!

And the smell!......[​IMG]

Indoor plumbing; what a blessing!!!!!!!

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yep!!
    [​IMG]

Is that Ed.I see in there, his eyes bulged out and his face turned blue? :)

We didn't have no half moon hole in our door either, just the "higher ups" had them and they were two seaters too. I always wondered why in the world would they have two seaters? I was not going in there with no one. Iguess "higher ups" do that.

You would not know about wearing coveralls with galisies, but us ole boys do.

#116 Brother Bob, Mar 20, 2007
  17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

[​IMG]

Bro. Bob, you're killin' me!

[​IMG] Yep, that's Ed alright!

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh - got any Scripture that says that? It may sound good but that sure does not seem to be what Paul said.
    And is not the 'conscience' fallen just as the rest of man? There is no Scripture that I know of that says the consience did not fall, in Adam, so maybe you can enlighten me, here. I got a new nature, yes, when I was saved but I still have the old one, as well. It's called "the flesh". And it can and is perverted, in at least some ways. And "I know that in me, that is in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing", as Scripture says, so how can one say the "old conscience" cannot do bad things, without feeling the Spirit's conviction. The Spirit is said to convict of sin - 'Of sin, because they believe not on Me.' That is the 'sin nature', not individual sins. Doesn't say we somehow become what I like to call "Post Toasties" Christians. For we don't get get "a little bit better", rather we get that new nature and we must "grow in grace".

Ed

#118 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2007
  19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ed, as a Christian with a new nature, do you not feel the Holy Spirit convicting you of sin? We have a new, born again nature that does not like sin and cannot sin. If you have a clear conscience when you do bad things as XDX said, you don't have the conviction of the Spirit. Are you saying the Spirit is in you, but you have the same feeling about sin as before you were saved? Are you saying that you can do something bad and never sense the conviction of the Holy Spirit?

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God allows us to eat beef steak, turkey, lamb, chicken, salmon etc - but not sewer rats. In fact when we study God's Word in Lev 11 we find that He FORBIDs humans from eating rats.

Lev 11
    46 This is the law regarding the animal and the bird, and every living thing that moves in the waters and everything that swarms on the earth,
    47 to make a
    distinction between the unclean and the clean, and between the edible creature and the creature which is not to be eaten.

Isaiah 66
    15 For behold, the LORD will come in fire And His chariots like the whirlwind, To render His anger with fury, And His rebuke with flames of fire.
    16 For the LORD will execute judgment by fire And by His sword on all flesh, And those slain by the LORD will be many.
    17 ""Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go to the gardens, Following one in the center, Who eat swine's flesh,
    detestable things and mice[/
    b], will come to an end altogether,'' declares the LORD.
    18 ""For I know their works and their thoughts; the time is coming to
    gather all nations and tongues. And they shall come and see My glory.

He permits some other animals - but stops when it comes to rats, cats, dogs and bats sir.

Is it your claim that if he ALLOWS us to eat a grasshopper then we should ignore His restriction against rats, cats, dogs and bats??

Is that some kind of "Bible principle" you are using - or just gaming the topic sir?

(Wait! don't tell me. Let me guess)

In Christ,

Bob

#120 BobRyan, Mar 20, 2007