1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we get anything we ask for in prayer?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jul 27, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Jesus says it. Anything we ask for in prayer we will get.
    But how often does this happen that you get everything you ask for? Not often.
    Why is that so? This makes Jesus look like he was lying. I don't understand this. :(
    For example when a christian wants to go on a mission then this is in God's interest, right? Then should he not be given everything he needs directly from God? Money and everything?
    But in most cases the christians need to raise money and need to ask for donations. Why? The bible says it. Whatever we ask for in his name will be given to us. Then why doesn't it simply work this way? Most christians will say: Yes, this ONLY works if you also pray for what God wants you to have anyway.
    Then what's so great about it? This means that we only get what God wants us to have anyway and that we cannot ask for personal things. And on the other hand should God not want churches and missionaries to have enough money? But they don't all have enough money. :confused:
    What do you say to an atheist who quotes this verse to you where Jesus says that we get anything we ask for and then he asks you if you really get everything we ask for? Then you will say no and then he will say: I knew it! The bible is wrong!

What do you do then?

2. Link

Link New Member

Some people might point out that His immediate audience would have been his apostles. Notice the plural 'ye' too, and not just 'thou' in that promise.

Some might argue that 'in My name' means more than just saying "in the name of Jesus, and has to be really backed up by His authority.

Also, notice that Christ talked about asking in prayer __believing__. Sometimes there is a lack of faith.

Jesus also talked about asking 'if ye abide in Me, and if My word abide in you.'

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

Ask Anything

:type:

Sometimes this is the problem.

James 4-2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
    3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Like Link said, you must have faith and doubt not!

:praying:

Peace,

Tam

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

That is if we are asking with biblical faith. Faith is not believing something strong enough to make it happen or make God do it for us. In biblical faith God is always the first mover, in faith we respond to God's leadership. If we are genuinely seeking God and His will, we have the promise our prayers will be answered. Remember biblical faith does not put God at our beckon call, it brings us in line with His heart.

Bro Tony

5. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Everyone made good points, but I'd also like to point out that in the example of missionaries raising money for mission work, God is still providing the means; He's just chosen to do it through His people, the way He usually works. So He's still answering your prayers. It's easy to forget sometimes that He's not Jesus Claus--not just a heavenly wish-granter, but a Father with discretion in granting our requests. And He's a Father who's creative enough to keep His promises in ways we might not expect.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Is there a reason you think God can't say NO?

I expect to not receive that which would hinder my walk with God. I expect my God to love me enough to say no when what I ask for something that would cause me harm (either spiritual or physical). I also expect God to love other's enough to tell me no, when what I ask for would cause other's harm (either spiritual or physical).

When God says no, it's time to reexamine the "why" behind the request. Now here's where faith comes in. Even when you can't figure out why God said no, you must still trust that God KNOWS what He is doing.

If God had wanted us to have every single thing our little hearts could desire, He'd have given us fairy godparents. ;)

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Although we are to pray and petition God, it is more to align us with His will and humble us. I think it is to make us receptive to what He wants and chooses for us.

So we can ask for something but maybe it's not His will for us to have or do that. We get what God wants for us, but we pray anyway because it is part of our relationship with God, it humbles us, it causes more dependence on God, it glorifies God, and it leads to greater intimacy with God to talk to Him in prayer.

I think in time as we pray more and more, the HS sensitizes us to how to pray, and we start praying more in God's will, or at least with more of a desire for His will to be done.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

1 JN 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
    15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

9. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

This is a real good question.

Abiding comes to mind.

How many of us abide is another good one.

David

10. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Move the comma. 1 Jn 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything, according to His Will He hears us. That underlines what Marcia said. When our petition aligns with His Will, He answers. That does not mean that a sack of gold will fall from the sky directly into the hands of the petitioner. It does mean that God will set in motion the events necessary to honor the prayer. Instead of an instant sack of gold, an employment opportunity becomes available, or an unexpected gift arrives. Write down and date your prayers. At some future point you'll pencil in the answer and its date. Don't ask God for a 2007 Mercedes when all you need to get around is a moped. KISS: Keep It Simple, Saint of God! Baby steps eventually lead to big rewards as you bask in God's Will!

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My point was, sometimes the answer's NO.

12. genesis12

genesis12 Member

My response was to the OP, not to your post. I utilized your scripture quote as a point of reference. :)

13. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Yes we will get what we pray for, PROVIDED IT IS PART OF GOD'S WILL, just as the Lord's Prayer says.

14. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Everything comes in God's will in God's time. Also, God can provide by people donating and fund raisers