1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

do we need a face for Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Dec 20, 2005.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Its a topic thats been given a exaton of political abuse, to heaving that aside, is it oakay to paint one?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure I'm reading your writing correctly??? Proof reading is our friend! [​IMG]

But is it okay for artists to paint pictures of Jesus? I feel ALL of the arts are a special talent and I would glorify God with artistic talent (had I any) in any medium.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my favorite verses:

(2Co 4:6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Don't know how you could show the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face; guess that will have to come from the heart. Sounds like a challenge of creative expression.

4. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

Ex 20:4 You shall not make unto you any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down yourself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, . . .

I am curious as to the need for a picture of Jesus and why people are so enamoured with knowing what He looks like. Although people may not think they are worshipping a "graven image" by drawing, painting, or play acting the part of Jesus, my perception is that this borders on worship. It alters a relationship with Him in that you need to "visualize" Him, rather than believe Him in and through faith and that to me could be construed as worship of a graven image of Him.

My opinion :cool:

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I think we need to be clear that pictures of Jesus are only an artists conception, explain we don't really know what He looked like, but this iullustration is for purposes of helping us comprehend the message better . . .

The graven image thing is always to prevent us from worshipping the false. But Jesus is not the false. He is the Real.

I don't want to see any of you bowing down before such pictures, however!

6. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk New Member

non-Baptists' posts will be deleted from Baptists only forums. Please follow BB rules.
    DHK

[ December 29, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]